News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

_caleb

Since this came immediately on the heels of the WSJ article about the intense public dissatisfaction with the direction of the Disney parks, I don't think it us anything less than a complete rebuke of the way Chapek was quickly destroying the brand.

I typically do not take jot in others' demise, but in this case I make an exception.

If iger wants to make a quick, impact full, positive break from Chapek, he would stop the resort parking fees, yesterday.
You had me until that last sentence, which was hilarious

Skywise

Interesting though…black panther is underperforming (as not hard to predict) also this weekend.
I’m gonna start reading fortunes for $5 a pop

They don’t seem to have any idea what the &$@? to do with it? The decline of product Didn’t start on 3/13/20…

Revisionist history from camp Iger…when does the Hollywood reporters version come out?
Wakana Forever might've been enough - but, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Iger have complete creative control over the studios until earlier this year?

UNCgolf

But he undoubtedly approved it.

I doubt it.

That's not a defense of Iger; it's a reality of the CEO position. Something like parking fees at resorts would have been decided below his level -- CEOs do not sign off on literally everything a company does. That would be completely impossible for a company the size of Disney anyways.

While resort parking fees are a nice additional revenue stream, they're incredibly minor in terms of the company overall. I'd guess at most they were a line item in some larger report/plan that he signed off on.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Here's what the new CEO of Disney had to say about movies this past September:

He's definitely right; theaters will never fully recover, but they have a place. Chapek's approach that "all people want is content," regardless of the nuance or quality of it, is the same abysmal line of thinking AT&T made with WarnerMedia, leading to its downfall. There's a certain amount people want to/are willing to consume, and p***ing off legitimate artists that you rely on to craft movies/shows is something I'd expect Bob Iger not to do, which will help the studio actually move eyeballs.

MrPromey

But we know how Iger conceives of his legacy. He absolutely does not want to bring back WDI, he wants to have his legacy be making them largely obsolete. To a considerable extent his legacy is acquisitions, and at the moment it is likely Iger sees building his legacy as digesting and justifying the Fox acquisition and stabilizing stock prices - which probably means more belt tightening at WDW. The most likely physical manifestation of an Iger legacy push in the parks will be a starchitect structure like the tabletop to prove he can be creative like Eisner.

party-pooper-the-simpsons.gif

Can't we just have this one night?

Things can still go back to being awful tomorrow.

Actually, we have the thread purge to look forward to so... Things can still go back to being awful the day after tomorrow.

... Now that I think about it, that's getting pretty close to Thanksgiving.

Then we've got Black Friday.

... and Cyber Monday.

Things can still go back to being awful next Tuesday!

Please
images

_caleb

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Nowhere in that article is "massive layoffs" used. Chapek didn't use "layoffs", it was an editorial characterization by the article's author, which isn't necessarily what is the case.

Skywise

I doubt it.

That's not a defense of Iger; it's a reality of the CEO position. Something like parking fees at resorts would have been decided below his level -- CEOs do not sign off on literally everything a company does. That would be completely impossible for a company the size of Disney anyways.
But it affects appearance/value of the parks AND the corp as a whole. if Iger didn't realize how important that was to the company's appearance and PR value then that's on him, too.

jaxonp

I do believe Iger put G+ into play, lackluster plans for the 50th and green kit the Star Wars hotel but somehow I think the execution of these things wouldn’t have been different if he had been around. Iger would have pushed for much more to happen during the 50th and would have addressed cast meme ear moral by now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom