News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

Dranth

Strawman. They never said they wanted attendance to go down. They said they wanted attendance to go down during periods of peak demand when things were so crowded that the experience was miserable. They weren't talking about "it's slow moving around Peter Pan's Flight at 2pm in August," they were talking about "on Christmas it's impossible to move, find a meal, or ride more than two rides."

View attachment 676096
Maybe but they have presented it as a solution to address the overcrowding people were complaining about much of the year pre-pandemic, not just the few days a year they capped out. If they did mean this to just address those rare situations, one, they are morons as you don't manage to extremely rare exceptions and two, they suck at PR and/or are being purposely deceitful as they have done nothing to come out shut down the public narrative that this is meant to reduce crowding overall.

Either way, what they have managed to do so far is make even more of the year feel crowded.

Now, I would love the park reservation system to disappear but given the reality that they are going to cling to the PR system with everything they have, I hope the plan is to leave caps where they are while increasing the workforce to the point where the parks are reliable comfortable. However, who here is remotely confident this is going to happen?

Jrb1979

So again a bunch of sarcasm and snark, but no real substance. Not really surprising.

The point of this wasn’t high end vacations, it was what is the alternative for a higher end vacation geared to young kids. No one has said there aren’t alternative vacations, what we have said is that there isn’t an alternative destination or vacation for familes with young kids.

Beach resort towns? Really besides the vast majority or jersey shore wAnna bees that really makes me wish for another Sandy like storm surge, your saying a beach resort is somehow comparable for kids to 4 large amusement parks filled with their favorite movie characters? Sure the weed filled smell of the board walk and it’s carni rides and rigged ball throw games absolutely compares to Pandora or Rise of the Resistance.

Regional areas? God it’s the specificity of your arguments you have to love.

Cities, again just a great specific argument. That’s a great comparison, theme parks and characters and rides, but yes young kids will definitely be just as entertained by going to…….what Miami? Gonna hit the clubs? No I bet rather than hanging out with Mickey they would much rather looking at the architecture in Europe. Or maybe touring the battlefields and historical landmarks along the freedom trail.

Disney is not marketing to a bunch of no matter the income. They are not trying to attract all 8billion in the world (which is definitely a realist number to use for marketing purposes, the travel trends of the close to 3/4 of a billion people in India and China that live an abject poverty and will never leave their home village should definitely be considered. Same Of course for all the similar situated people in Africa and South America.)

Sure there are other vacations people could take, but again I and Capt are still waiting to hear an example that replaces what WDW offers, with something similar. People love to ski, If that is what your looking for, concierge service in Aspen with a nanny to watch the kids, that’s great. But your not choosing that over disney, Disney doesn’t offer that. Your not choosing Disney there because it’s not what you or your kids want.

Your not taking your 6-7 year old to six flags or Hershey park, and getting the same experience as WDW. Visiting with Anna and Elsa and riding haunted mansion does not match up with waiting in line watching mom and dad or an older cousin riding Kingda Ka or Candymonium and scouring the park to find the ride or 2 that you are tall enough to ride.
We have take our 3 year old to Cedar Point for vacation over Disney. Much cheaper and the whole family enjoys it. We take her to Myrtle Beach as well and have just as much fun.

I'm sorry to say this but it's not and should never be about what your kids want or enjoy. If the parent doesn't enjoy it then my kid doesn't go there. It feels now more then ever that parents care more about their kids enjoying the vacation then themselves

CaptainAmerica

No, you don't. You have plans for them, not change your business model and irritate your customers to address a problem that occurs a couple of days a year that you could have easily addressed by just capping those specific days.
Once staffing is where it needs to be (and I agree that it's taking too long), there will be no irritation to non-peak customers. Same-day Park Pass availability should be readily available.

el_super

However, who here is remotely confident this is going to happen?

Of course it will happen. If the lack of staffing does start to have an impact on guest satisfaction ratings, Disney will fix it. Their customers have the ultimate say on what happens in the parks, and whether something needs to be corrected or not.

The counter to this though, is with the current labor market, housing trends in the Orlando area and the current union negotiations, whether those customers will be willing to pay the increased cost in service thru higher prices. If customers react more negatively to price increases over lack of staffing, then yeah, it makes sense that the lack of staffing will remain forever.

Disstevefan1

Their customers have the ultimate say on what happens in the parks, and whether something needs to be corrected or not
Well, it's TWDC shareholders who have the ultimate say on everything including the theme parks.

If it turns out better for TWDC share price to sell off the parks they would even do that.

el_super

Well, it's TWDC shareholders who have the ultimate say on everything including the theme parks.

In a lot of ways though, they can only react to how the customers behave. If customers stop going, they either have to correct or die.

Its very doubtful they would be in a scenario where selling the parks would make the most sense, but let's say they end up in a scenario where customers are asking for both high levels of staffing and significant reduction in prices. Disney might consider selling off the parks, or changing the ownership model if they believed someone could come in and run the parks cheaper than they could.

Right from the paid lips... Disney is running under capacity and with reduced offerings because it can.

Wait... am I supposed to get paid for this? Where do I pick up my check?

lazyboy97o

Once staffing is where it needs to be (and I agree that it's taking too long), there will be no irritation to non-peak customers. Same-day Park Pass availability should be readily available.
Except they weren’t doing that before the pandemic. Why should we expect it to change now when they’ve even more finely tuned their ability to create crowding?

el_super

I'm not sure what you're alluding to. Park Pass didn't exist prior to the pandemic.

Pretty sure it's just meant to be your daily reminder that Disney managers are always corrupt and bad actors, with the consistent behavior of cartoonish supervillians. They have to be because that's the only way any of this makes any sense.

Or it could just be a reminder that some people are watching too many animated movies.

Dranth

Pretty sure it's just meant to be your daily reminder that Disney managers are always corrupt and bad actors, with the consistent behavior of cartoonish supervillians. They have to be because that's the only way any of this makes any sense.

Or it could just be a reminder that some people are watching too many animated movies.
They aren’t acting like supervillains but they are further prioritizing revenue over customer satisfaction which is certainly an odd move for a company that relies on customer good will to survive long term.

Before anyone reads more into this than what I meant, I am not saying they don't care about customer satisfaction, heck, I am not even saying that profit hasn't always been their highest priority, just that guest satisfaction doesn't seem to be as valued as it was in the past.

el_super

They aren’t acting like supervillains but they are further prioritizing revenue over customer satisfaction which is certainly an odd move for a company that relies on customer good will to survive long term.

Their revenue comes from customer satisfaction though, and certainly I have to believe they know that.

I have stated numerous times in this thread though, that this plan to revalue their product could ultimately fail, if the customers reject the value/pricing being offered. If the customers tell Disney they prioritize lower prices over customer satisfaction, then keeping prices low and cutting services *IS* an example of prioritizing customer satisfaction. Just not in the rather two dimensional way that a lot of people here have maintained.

So as I look at it, Disney has been in a low prices/fill the parks mode for far longer than they should have been after the last recession. They need to turn that around and convince their audience they need to pay more before those services come back.

CaptainAmerica

Before anyone reads more into this than what I meant, I am not saying they don't care about customer satisfaction, heck, I am not even saying that profit hasn't always been their highest priority, just that guest satisfaction doesn't seem to be as valued as it was in the past.
I don't think the customer is nearly as dissatisfied as you think.

Some things are objectively "bad." Magical Express being eliminated, bad. Resort parking fees, bad. We can agree or disagree on how severe each of those are, but I don't think anyone will make the case that they're somehow in the guests' interest, even theoretically. They're profitability measures at the expense of the guest experience, full stop.

But other things, some people like. I much prefer the new 30 minute early entry plus Deluxe evening hours over the old EMH. I don't hate Genie+, but I absolutely hate ILL. Lots of people like having a virtual queue for the hottest attraction, while I'm not personally a fan. And then there's the ongoing "COVID made everything suck and it's going to take time to recover," which people have various levels of patience with.

Disstevefan1

I don't think the customer is nearly as dissatisfied as you think.

Some things are objectively "bad." Magical Express being eliminated, bad. Resort parking fees, bad. We can agree or disagree on how severe each of those are, but I don't think anyone will make the case that they're somehow in the guests' interest, even theoretically. They're profitability measures at the expense of the guest experience, full stop.

But other things, some people like. I much prefer the new 30 minute early entry plus Deluxe evening hours over the old EMH. I don't hate Genie+, but I absolutely hate ILL. Lots of people like having a virtual queue for the hottest attraction, while I'm not personally a fan. And then there's the ongoing "COVID made everything suck and it's going to take time to recover," which people have various levels of patience with.
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" - Yogi Berra

flynnibus

Premium Member
So as I look at it, Disney has been in a low prices/fill the parks mode for far longer than they should have been after the last recession. They need to turn that around and convince their audience they need to pay more before those services come back.

Disney wasn't in a low prices mode. They still were the market leader in high prices and charging obsurd markups over their normal peers. They were in a conversion mode of trying to convince people to be frequent visitors in a quest to increase revenues by 'filling in the low spots' and encouraging frequent visits. They did this with all their endless events and big push for DVC and APs. The entire time they were raising prices aggressively year over year. But the key point is they were finding their growth through price increases and trying to fill in low spots.

Note, they weren't growing their actual ability to drive future volume, but rather trying to drive growth by increasing utilization of what they had. And in other areas they sold their futures to get money now (hotels to DVC).

So after 10 plus years of driving to eliminate their low spots... they end up blocking themselves from utilizing low periods for upkeep and they struggle to keep up with the necessary upkeep.. either through lack of time or lack of increasing investment to match the increased use. We get the Monorail fiascos, Splash Mountain falling apart, etc.

So instead of a business ready for steady continued growth - now you have a business with a product that resists actual volume increases. Management has painted themselves into the corner that now the only way to sustain revenue growth is with continued monetization, price increases, and cutting expenses. The ability to actually organic growth is hindered by time and a mentality to squeeze every last drop out of the existing before actually growing. They don't have an elastic business - they have a business that if they don't keep raising prices, they look like they are failing.

It's a management mindset to resist increasing overhead while there is any area they could possibly drive growth without increasing costs. You can spin all you want about trying to paint critics as morons who don't understand what Disney really wants... but you can't actually retort the real observations of the company's strategy.

They can't grow because of cutbacks and operations
They can't efficiently renovate under utilized facilities, so instead they push customers to them with 'its the only thing open' incentives
They can't efficiently grow the product because their bloated budgets and timelines
They are creatively bankrupt in many areas
They've got little room left to 'fill in the gaps'

So what does that leave them with? Keep cutting and keep raising prices.

It's not customer surveys driving this behavior - it's the aggressive leadership strategy of believing the best PnL strategy is your success rather than a runaway product. They are trying to find every last nickle in the couch rather than trying to create things people will happily pay more for.

Last edited:

phillip9698

So again a bunch of sarcasm and snark, but no real substance. Not really surprising.

The point of this wasn’t high end vacations, it was what is the alternative for a higher end vacation geared to young kids. No one has said there aren’t alternative vacations, what we have said is that there isn’t an alternative destination or vacation for familes with young kids.

Beach resort towns? Really besides the vast majority or jersey shore wAnna bees that really makes me wish for another Sandy like storm surge, your saying a beach resort is somehow comparable for kids to 4 large amusement parks filled with their favorite movie characters? Sure the weed filled smell of the board walk and it’s carni rides and rigged ball throw games absolutely compares to Pandora or Rise of the Resistance.

Regional areas? God it’s the specificity of your arguments you have to love.

Cities, again just a great specific argument. That’s a great comparison, theme parks and characters and rides, but yes young kids will definitely be just as entertained by going to…….what Miami? Gonna hit the clubs? No I bet rather than hanging out with Mickey they would much rather looking at the architecture in Europe. Or maybe touring the battlefields and historical landmarks along the freedom trail.

Disney is not marketing to a bunch of no matter the income. They are not trying to attract all 8billion in the world (which is definitely a realist number to use for marketing purposes, the travel trends of the close to 3/4 of a billion people in India and China that live an abject poverty and will never leave their home village should definitely be considered. Same Of course for all the similar situated people in Africa and South America.)

Sure there are other vacations people could take, but again I and Capt are still waiting to hear an example that replaces what WDW offers, with something similar. People love to ski, If that is what your looking for, concierge service in Aspen with a nanny to watch the kids, that’s great. But your not choosing that over disney, Disney doesn’t offer that. Your not choosing Disney there because it’s not what you or your kids want.

Your not taking your 6-7 year old to six flags or Hershey park, and getting the same experience as WDW. Visiting with Anna and Elsa and riding haunted mansion does not match up with waiting in line watching mom and dad or an older cousin riding Kingda Ka or Candymonium and scouring the park to find the ride or 2 that you are tall enough to ride.

My 6 and 5 year old actually prefer Legoland over Disney theme parks and Great Wolf Lodge over Disney water parks. My 6 year old would rather stay the entire day at the Legoland Hotel than go to DAK or Epcot. It’s my wife that is desperately trying to convince them that they should like Disney World more mostly due to her own wants.

Not all families find that Disney parks are where their kids would most like to spend their time.

Vegas Disney Fan

My 6 and 5 year old actually prefer Legoland over Disney theme parks and Great Wolf Lodge over Disney water parks. My 6 year old would rather stay the entire day at the Legoland Hotel than go to DAK or Epcot. It’s my wife that is desperately trying to convince them that they should like Disney World more mostly due to her own wants.

Not all families find that Disney parks are where their kids would most like to spend their time.
There’s a lot of truth in this, my nephew had just as much fun at Lagoon amusement park in Utah as he had in DL, maybe even more since he didn’t have to wait in super long lines all day.

Kids love the characters and IPs but I think the theming and customer service (that sets Disney parks apart from other parks) is really noticed more by the adults than kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom