News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

TrainsOfDisney

Not really. Those have been reduced so much.

You can't just go whenever you want anymore. Friends and family blocked out even more. Food and Beverage discounts are constantly reduced.

There is no reason why a CM should not be able to go to Cosmic Ray's and get ten percent off of their burger and fry combo.
That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure if things had improved.

If there’s no reason to work at WDW vs. anywhere else Disney will continue having a hard time attracting employees when there is such a demand in the Orlando area.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What are the current benefits for working at WDW? Can visit the parks? Bring friends and family? F&B discounts?

The best employee relations improvements are the ones that actually make the working environment and burdens better... not 'heres a way to spend MORE of your money with your job'.

The classic admission perk is nice, especially when its extendable to F&F... but it's not one that actually improves your working experience. Better services near your job site, employee friendly policies, desirable amenities, benefits that help reduce your out of pocket expenses, employee exclusive things, actual management posture that appreciates employees and gives them a plausible path to advancement, paid training for career development, etc.

The culture that sees employees as their greatest asset will be the ones that realize the importance to nurture and develop that resource and understand their success and an employee's success go hand in hand.

When you dehumanize employees, you resist 'unnecessary' expenses and see then just as a utility that needs servicing.

itsy bitsy spider

It has already been 24 years since Disney's last theme park (Animal Kingdom).

MK 1971
EC 1982 (11 years later)
HS 1989 (7 years later)
AK 1998 (9 years later)

Vegas Disney Fan

The best employee relations improvements are the ones that actually make the working environment and burdens better... not 'heres a way to spend MORE of your money with your job.

I’ve always found appreciation the best retention tool. A boss who says thank you, great job, you’re the best, who comes by to check on you to make sure you have everything, etc… goes a lot further to keep employees happy than paying them an extra $.50 an hour.

Perks are nice but people are loyal to people, a great boss is priceless, a horrible boss can destroy a company no matter how well it pays.

TrainsOfDisney

The best employee relations improvements are the ones that actually make the working environment and burdens better... not 'heres a way to spend MORE of your money with your job'.

The classic admission perk is nice, especially when its extendable to F&F... but it's not one that actually improves your working experience. Better services near your job site, employee friendly policies, desirable amenities, benefits that help reduce your out of pocket expenses, employee exclusive things, actual management posture that appreciates employees and gives them a plausible path to advancement, paid training for career development, etc.

The culture that sees employees as their greatest asset will be the ones that realize the importance to nurture and develop that resource and understand their success and an employee's success go hand in hand.

When you dehumanize employees, you resist 'unnecessary' expenses and see then just as a utility that needs servicing.
I don’t disagree at all. But free admission for you, friends, and family used to be a pretty big perk along with F&B discounts. I know that friends of mine that used to work at Disney mentioned those specifically.

Phil12

It has already been 24 years since Disney's last theme park (Animal Kingdom).

MK 1971
EC 1982 (11 years later)
HS 1989 (7 years later)
AK 1998 (9 years later)
Yes, and folks complain all the time that there are not enough rides, not enough to do and that all the parks are far too crowded. I maintain that another park will not help matters. Let's face it, the reduction of guest amenities and the requirement for reservations has not slowed attendance or room bookings. Bob is a money man. Disney guests don't like him and the vast assortment of staff throughout the Disney empire don't like him. And even though Disney stock is down significantly since he took over, at the shareholders meeting, Chapek got 94% of the votes cast.

StarWarsGirl

Me every time Chapek talks...
Mean Girls Shut Up GIF

DisneyHead123

I’ve always found appreciation the best retention tool. A boss who says thank you, great job, you’re the best, who comes by to check on you to make sure you have everything, etc… goes a lot further to keep employees happy than paying them an extra $.50 an hour.

Perks are nice but people are loyal to people, a great boss is priceless, a horrible boss can destroy a company no matter how well it pays.
I think a truly great boss will keep people on the job, yes. And a truly horrible boss will destroy workplace culture. But something like 85% of bosses are neither of these things... they're 'good enough' or 'ok' bosses. They don't make or break a person's decision to stay or go when it comes to a job. And in that case, things like perks, benefits, etc., come into play.

Personally, I do see it as shortsighted if Disney is not doing more to attract and retain decent employees. The employees are the ones who are sailing the entire ship, keeping everything going when guests go to visit. I'm not saying they have to give them the moon, but geez, cut these poor people a break. That is not the place for over-the-top penny pinching - give the employees a bit more of a discount, let them have a few more park nights - things like that build morale and aren't exactly going to break the bank.

Lilofan

Not really. Those have been reduced so much.

You can't just go whenever you want anymore. Friends and family blocked out even more. Food and Beverage discounts are constantly reduced.

There is no reason why a CM should not be able to go to Cosmic Ray's and get ten percent off of their burger and fry combo.

With Uni or Sea world I could say "Hey I just met these people and would like to give them my discount" on merch and they would honor it. Sea World often just as or more generous.
At Epcot NYE I was there all day enjoying until 1am. The cast members I saw working at World Showcase I saw then later in the night were dancing with us at Epcot China outside by the dragon that shot out real flames.

Jrb1979

At Epcot NYE I was there all day enjoying until 1am. The cast members I saw working at World Showcase I saw then later in the night were dancing with us at Epcot China outside by the dragon that shot out real flames.
How many decades ago was that?

itsy bitsy spider

They need to finish Animal Kingdom and especially Hollywood Studios before they even consider building another park. They both need 5 or 6 more attractions at a minimum.
Yes, and folks complain all the time that there are not enough rides, not enough to do and that all the parks are far too crowded. I maintain that another park will not help matters. Let's face it, the reduction of guest amenities and the requirement for reservations has not slowed attendance or room bookings. Bob is a money man. Disney guests don't like him and the vast assortment of staff throughout the Disney empire don't like him. And even though Disney stock is down significantly since he took over, at the shareholders meeting, Chapek got 94% of the votes cast.
3 of the 4 parks need more/better attractions before they start thinking about a 5th

They could still add to their current parks and create a new one. Look at what Universal has done recently. It's doesn't need to be a choice between the 2 things. Disney too, was still adding things to their parks in the 70's-90's while coming up with ideas and even constructing other ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom