News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

DVCmemberUK

So, Mr Chapek wants to run the theme parks like airlines. What if he ran an airline based on how he runs theme parks.
Welcome to Chappie Airlines. You want to fly from Orlando to Los Angeles, so, pay $500 in advance for the day you want to fly, when you get to the airport wait in the standby line until a seat on a flight becomes available but we can't guarantee which flight that will be.
But wait, why not pay an extra $250 when you are in the airport for the Genius+ service for a seat on the first flight, that may take you via one or two other airports and you arrive 18 hours later. Or pay another extra $100 for Genius++ and we will see if we can get you on the non stop flight but there's no guarantee because that flight could be full and we don't know until you pay the $100! And it's non refundable!
Welcome to Chappie airlines, corporate greed at it's finest. Why do all you frequent flyers expect a priority service? We prefere the occasional passenger because just like us, they don't care.
DVCmemberUK.

Snake

Singular unique experiences. Something that Disney strives to be. It's not like the Louvre can combat long lines to see the Mona Lisa by making a duplicate and hoping people will accept that instead of the copy. People want to go to Walt Disney World and they want that Disney experience.

Does anyone really want to advocate that it's time to build a 5th park at WDW? Or maybe a 3rd US resort? Maybe another castle park in Canada? If 6 isn't enough how many more do they need?
FYI, when Universal Studios built parks in Orlando Florida, Disney specifically built a new park in response. Universal Florida, Disney built MGM Stuidos, Islands of Adventure, Disney built Animal Kingdom. This last year WDW had the highest profits in the companies history and more and more over crowding, if that doesn't scream build more, I don't know what does. What company doesn't expand to meet demand? For the 1st time Universal parks had higher attendance than some of the WDW parks this last year. Magic Kingdom was 1st, but 2# and 3# were Universal parks. What's gonna happen when Epic opens?

DisneyDebRob

FYI, when Universal Studios built parks in Orlando Florida, Disney specifically built a new park in response. Universal Florida, Disney built MGM Stuidos, Islands of Adventure, Disney built Animal Kingdom. This last year WDW had the highest profits in the companies history and more and more over crowding, if that doesn't scream build more, I don't know what does. What company doesn't expand to meet demand? For the 1st time Universal parks had higher attendance than some of the WDW parks this last year. Magic Kingdom was 1st, but 2# and 3# were Universal parks. What's gonna happen when Epic opens?
I get why people keep saying building a 5th gate. Need to move people around..need more capacity..etc. They need to fix what they have first. The parks have been in a steady decline for years, not just when the pandemic hit. Maintenance is down.. bathrooms are the dirtiest I have ever seen in 40 years.. when something breaks it’s either not put back to the way it was or they put a strobe on it..things are being taken away it seems every few months..etc. In my opinion a 5th gate will just up prices even more and maintenance will get worse in the other parks.

Snake

I get why people keep saying building a 5th gate. Need to move people around..need more capacity..etc. They need to fix what they have first. The parks have been in a steady decline for years, not just when the pandemic hit. Maintenance is down.. bathrooms are the dirtiest I have ever seen in 40 years.. when something breaks it’s either not put back to the way it was or they put a strobe on it..things are being taken away it seems every few months..etc. In my opinion a 5th gate will just up prices even more and maintenance will get worse in the other parks.
Either they build and continue dominance or they fade into 2# as Universal takes #1. It's pretty clear, you build and they will come as Universal keeps proving. Universal just has the ambition and bold decision making now. Company's too fearful to expand will always lose, time and again. I'm sure Paycheck(Chapek) doesn't have the stones to expand, so if it ever happens, I'm sure it wont be under his watch.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Either they build and continue dominance or they fade into 2# as Universal takes #1. It's pretty clear, you build and they will come as Universal keeps proving. Universal just has the ambition and bold decision making now. Company's too fearful to expand will always lose, time and again. I'm sure Paycheck(Chapek) doesn't have the stones to expand, so if it ever happens, I'm sure it wont be under his watch.
I think Epic will be more interesting to what it does to the labor market... one that is already so constrained. Big moves UNI will make to staff Epic will roll over to it's population at USO and will cause waves the entire region. Disney won't be able to escape the comparisons unless they radically change their approach to employee appreciation and empowerment. Given the current leadership's lack of humanity, I really am curious how they will weather that storm.

celluloid

What are the current benefits for working at WDW? Can visit the parks? Bring friends and family? F&B discounts?

Not really. Those have been reduced so much.

You can't just go whenever you want anymore. Friends and family blocked out even more. Food and Beverage discounts are constantly reduced.

There is no reason why a CM should not be able to go to Cosmic Ray's and get ten percent off of their burger and fry combo.

With Uni or Sea world I could say "Hey I just met these people and would like to give them my discount" on merch and they would honor it. Sea World often just as or more generous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom