News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

James Alucobond

I don't understand how it could possibly take them another whole year to finish Moana.

It doesn't make sense that it would take them another year to build the new Communicore buildings either, really, but Moana is especially egregious.
It's honestly so far along that I'm intensely puzzled by the whole timeline. Unless they literally just rope off Moana and open all the surrounding pathways, it makes no sense. They have to be aware of how negatively impacted the entire EPCOT experience is by having the center of the park shuttered, yet the timeline suggests complete indifference.

Cliff

Is this supposed to be our big "WOW" for 2024, which fiscally starts October 1, 2023?
Sigh.
Why does it take Disney 5+ years to build a roller coaster at MK....an attraction that is a clone of one they already built? How many years will it have taken Disney to build a walk through attraction with water falls and water pumps at Epcot Center.

Why can Universal build attractions three times faster than Disney. And....yes both Harry Potter lands are absolutely JUST as complex and detailed as anything Disney has ever built.

It feels like Disney needs 5+ years to build one roller coaster...and Universal uses that same time and builds an entire new park.

There is something severely wrong inside Disney's development ranks and processes.

Let's bet....I'd say Disney needs 3-4 years to re-skin Splash Mountain. Its not even a new ride...just a re-skin. My bet is that it re-opens in the summer of 2026.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let's bet....I'd say Disney needs 3-4 years to re-skin Splash Mountain. Its not even a new ride...just a re-skin. My bet is that it re-opens in the summer of 2026.
Except that Disney has already announced the retheme will be finished late 2024.

Disney can build faster (at times) if they want. Sometimes, they don't want.

MrPromey

Total spine cost.

So we're basically gaining a Moana walk-through water feature and a statue of Walt for more than the cost of Guardians?

... not counting "stage" space that comes at the expense of other stage spaces and an already flexible show building. I'm probably being generous by considering that aspect a wash.

MrPromey

Except that Disney has already announced the retheme will be finished late 2024.

Disney can build faster (at times) if they want. Sometimes, they don't want.

Knowing that this announced change is not universally popular, they might actually feel some pressure to get this one done more quickly once the walls go up.

Obviously, the Epoct spine shows they have no problem with leaving a highly visible construction mess in the middle of a park look like crap for years on end but that combined with the polarization of opinion, might have been enough to push them faster or, to at least prep as much as possible before closing the existing attraction to make the change go more quickly, for once.

Plus, of course, closing a popular e-ticket in their busiest park, regardless of sentiment, probably adds its own pressure to do something with the space more quickly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So we're basically gaining a Moana walk-through water feature and a statue of Walt for more than the cost of Guardians?

... not counting "stage" space that comes at the expense of other stage spaces and an already flexible show building. I'm probably being generous by considering that aspect a wash.

Knowing that this announced change is not universally popular, they might actually feel some pressure to get this one done more quickly once the walls go up.

Obviously, the Epoct spine shows they have no problem with leaving a highly visible construction mess in the middle of a park look like crap for years on end but that combined with the polarization of opinion, might have been enough to push them faster or, to at least prep as much as possible before closing the existing attraction to make the change go more quickly, for once.

Whole spine project, once it started, was projected to go thru to 2023 anyway. That would have meant the hub being walled off for that whole time.

The whole spine project is also more than JoW and a statue. It includes the new festival building, the revamp of Gears and Umbrella, a new and the central hub-garden.

I presume it also included re-doing the entrance (getting rid of the tombstones) and the new lighting package in the entrance and on SSE.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You knew this comment was coming…

Animated GIF

MrPromey

Whole spine project, once it started, was projected to go thru to 2023 anyway. That would have meant the hub being walled off for that whole time.

The whole spine project is also more than JoW and a statue. It includes the new festival building, the revamp of Gears and Umbrella, a new and the central hub-garden.

I presume it also included re-doing the entrance (getting rid of the tombstones) and the new lighting package in the entrance and on SSE.
Of course I’m aware - I was talking about net gains - not just stuff thst was changing which is why for instance I made some reference to thst at the bottom about this being what we’re getting and not just about what they’re doing.

… although I didn’t count the tombstones since that happened before everything else. I thought that was its own thing but I guess credit to them for not leaving EVERYTHING a c-f all at once if that actually was part of the same project.

That said, the original projection on time for everything also included more in this area along with the park as a whole.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The figure also included Bobs folly.

Snake

Dirt, plants, and a bit of concrete will take another year? They should be building another actual attraction, meanwhile Universal is building perhaps the newest and best rides for the coming decade. What is Disney doing? Sitting on their hands counting their money. Every time Universal was building a park in Orlando, Disney responded by building another park. Universal Florida prompted Disney to build MGM Studios, Islands of Adventure, Disney built Animal Kingdom. It's inconceivable they are doing nothing while Epic Universe is coming to eat their lunch and dinner. This is what bean counters get you, no ambition, no vision, play it safe.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom