News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

No Name

You made a poor assumption. I had already read up. htaylor1918 didn’t insinuate anything (and also quoted nobody) and instead stated a fact: ”MGM was built before Universal studios”. As I said before, regardless of the reasoning behind the post, that is a fact. You called them out to get their facts straight, but their facts are straight.

Really, both Snake and htaylor1918 are correct, with maybe some unnecessary snark involved.

Funny advice coming from someone who calls people out to fact check when their own facts are really “facts”.

I read this “fact” before commenting:

Maybe it’s time to take your own advice.
You would be a terrible lawyer.

MrPromey

Dirt, plants, and a bit of concrete will take another year? They should be building another actual attraction, meanwhile Universal is building perhaps the newest and best rides for the coming decade. What is Disney doing? Sitting on their hands counting their money. Every time Universal was building a park in Orlando, Disney responded by building another park. Universal Florida prompted Disney to build MGM Studios, Islands of Adventure, Disney built Animal Kingdom. It's inconceivable they are doing nothing while Epic Universe is coming to eat their lunch and dinner. This is what bean counters get you, no ambition, no vision, play it safe.
For what it’s worth, we’re here for the Orlando Maker Faire this weekend (10th anniversary!) and Universal Creative has a booth showing off some of the tech for Mario Kart in Hollywood as well as some stuff they did for HHN like actual beating heart jelly candy (two patents - one of the candy design and one on the serving tray which combined, make them undulate like they’re beating - they demoing the tech behind how it worked).

The folks manning the booth were Universal’s version of Imagineering and I asked since they were promoting the Mario ride for Super Nintendo Land Hollywood, about 2025 for Epic and the guy I was talking to said “we have made no announcements about an official opening date yet.”… there was a pause and he said “I believe Universal Orlando has said something about spring of 2025 but I would be highly skeptical of that.”

So the people actually responsible for the design and build are saying they didn’t approve that announcement and don’t expect to meet that timeline.

Incidentally, despite Disney’s big hubbub about the imagineering move to Florida, they couldn’t be bothered to have a presence at this event while Universal Creative who has about 1% of the mythos, was there and openly sharing how they developed cool stuff to a young creative (and slightly nerdy) audience.

lazyboy97o

So the people actually responsible for the design and build are saying they didn’t approve that announcement and don’t expect to meet that timeline.
The people working on Epic Universe are generally not allowed to even acknowledge they are working on Epic Universe. They’re not allowed to discuss the schedule and the people working the booth most certainly weren’t involved in approving any public statements. Hundreds of people work at Universal Creative, many only on one single thing like a ride, and there are even teams not working on Epic Universe.

MrPromey

The people working on Epic Universe are generally not allowed to even acknowledge they are working on Epic Universe. They’re not allowed to discuss the schedule and the people working the booth most certainly weren’t involved in approving any public statements. Hundreds of people work at Universal Creative, many only on one single thing like a ride, and there are even teams not working on Epic Universe.
All I know is the guy there who was talking about the Nintendo Land for Hollywood made very clear that, speaking for Creative, they have not committed to a timeline for completion in Orlando as of yet, despite what Orlando has said to the public.

Maybe he was full of crap but he made clear he *was* involved in the Mario Kart attraction in Japan and he was there talking about the one for Hollywood, saying it would be an iteration ahead of Japan’s based on things they’d learned from construction and initial operation and very openly answering questions in one-on-one conversation and talking about mundane things like the challenges of AR headsets on scale for an attraction like that and sanitization for them and such which would lead me to believe he would probably also be involved in the one in Orlando but 🤷🏻‍♂️

I didn’t get a name - didn’t even think to so I have no idea who he was.

Maybe he was a bus driver. He didn’t seem to be but they can be wile and I’m exhausted from the day there so my perception may be a little cloudy.

I guess we’ll see what does or doesn’t happen spring of 2025.

Anyway, their presence there was for outreach and I found it interesting that it was Universal there encouraging teens, children, and young adults to consider non-traditional careers in engineering, architecture, and design in central Florida instead of, you know, someone else - not that it needed to be an either/or.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

All I know is the guy there who was talking about the Nintendo Land for Hollywood made very clear that, speaking for Creative, they have not committed to a timeline for completion in Orlando as of yet, despite what Orlando has said to the public.
They’re not allowed to talk about it. That’s it. Full stop. And there were people there senior enough to make sure anyone who did would not have a job come Monday.

I guess we’ll see what does or doesn’t happen spring of 2025.
Summer 2025, not Spring.

MrPromey

They’re not allowed to talk about it. That’s it. Full stop. And there were people there senior enough to make sure anyone who did would not have a job come Monday.

Summer 2025, not Spring.
Sure, summer, whatever. Was typing from the bed on my phone in the hotel around midnight.

They all seemed pretty laid back while we were there. Nobody seemed to be choosing their words too carefully in candid conversation but it’s not like anyone was being interviewed, either.

Didn’t realize you were there too and knew who was saying what the whole day but hopefully you had fun - we did.

Left my warrior armchair at home and am typing this in line for the train back to studios from IoA right now to round out the weekend so if you're trying to "win" at something here, you win.

Anyway, I was just relaying info relayed to me by someone I assume knows more than me. It was a brief point in a longer conversation. I’m not pretending to know anything, firsthand. If you know better, congrats - we’ll see what happens in SUMMER of 2025.

I personally hope it does happen that early while my son is a still young enough to enjoy it all as a kid - it'll be close by 2025. He was suggesting I tamper my expectations.

UPDATED to add:

My only point originally which I may not have expressed well was, Universal seems to do things quickly but it probably has a lot to do with them not normally announcing stuff long before breaking ground. I think they do build faster but I think they also manage their communication better by usually tipping off the public, closer to the end of the process - often well after the project is half built.

With Epic Universe, they couldn't really do that so it seems feasible they might have a Disney moment with their early announcement this time around, just due to the fact that they couldn't really hide a project that big.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I am curious to know what the fate of these pavilion logos being used besides just for merchandise and the flags up front in the plaza.
OOgRA0hE9AhJHc1XoDMnPhaTdB_VfB_jjMMVVIXBkBA.jpg

Or are we not going to get our hopes up for more of their use on directional signs or within said pavilions like they had in the 80's..
18ac8a1755a2f41da9e7ee0a7d7fa9d0.jpg

We can already see that 2 are now dead (Play and The Epcot Experience unless they count it as the new Oddessy logo).But, could we see any newer ones down the line...Who knows?

Last edited:

Centauri Space Station

I am curious to know what the fate of these pavilion logos being used besides just for merchandise and the flags up front in the plaza.
OOgRA0hE9AhJHc1XoDMnPhaTdB_VfB_jjMMVVIXBkBA.jpg

Or are we not going to get our hopes up for more of their use on directional signs or within said pavilions like they had in the 80's..
18ac8a1755a2f41da9e7ee0a7d7fa9d0.jpg

We can already see that 2 are now dead (Play and The Epcot Experience unless that's a new Oddessy logo).But, could we see any newer ones down the line...Who knows?
It’s still in use as the oddessy logo on its roof. The logos are also present in the Breezeway between connections and creations. The seas uses it throughout the Seabase and Test track has it used in several places as well. GOTG also has theirs on the mb scanner.

DreamfinderGuy

We can already see that 2 are now dead (Play and The Epcot Experience unless they count it as the new Oddessy logo).But, could we see any newer ones down the line...Who knows?
As said above it's still the icon for Odyssey. That said, we already had one dead logo (the Festival Center) which got retconned into being "The World Celebration Symbol" (But there's no overarching symbol for the Nature or Discovery lands, hm? 🤔) which leads me to believe they'll just retcon the Play Pavilion icon too. Maybe there's room on that side of Future World for a permanent Mac & Cheese stand that can take on that icon.

tparris

The tarps have been removed from above the parking tolls as of yesterday. Also, it seems that they are preparing to open a section of the SSE west walkway soon, as they are currently putting up new construction walls along the perimeter of the recently added concrete behind where the current walls are (photo from Bioreconstruct, yellow line is where new construction walls are being added).
93A58ECB-99A7-47FC-847D-A97E924083D7.jpeg

This is exactly what they did when they were preparing to open the pathway along Creations Shop last year.
8E53ED09-785C-4DC7-AF6A-04BEF51AB800.jpeg

I couldn’t get photos yesterday as I was on Monorail Gold which has the 50th wrap. I’ll try to get a few photos in the next day or two.

Fear

The tarps have been removed from above the parking tolls as of yesterday. Also, it seems that they are preparing to open a section of the SSE west walkway soon, as they are currently putting up new construction walls along the perimeter of the recently added concrete behind where the current walls are (photo from Bioreconstruct, yellow line is where new construction walls are being added).View attachment 679112
This is exactly what they did when they were preparing to open the pathway along Creations Shop last year.View attachment 679113
I couldn’t get photos yesterday as I was on Monorail Gold which has the 50th wrap. I’ll try to get a few photos in the next day or two.

Weird. Just getting more pathways out of the SSE exit, I guess?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom