News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Vinnie Mac

I think the design was so the Stargate provided proper view to those watching from the proposed multi-story Festival Center that wound up not getting built - which also would have been where they sold corporate/private event space at, etc.

not saying I think that is a great idea - obviously something 360 degree would also provide a good view from there, but I think that was the idea to promote the value of booking an event or dessert party or whatever from that building
Considering the fact that the central barge was off centered with the American pavilion, I wonder if it was meant to be centered with the Festival center instead.

Vinnie Mac

It isn’t. But consensus is it’s not worth presenting any new attraction to Chapek without a tie in since it has a slim chance of being approved.

Did I ever say how plain ugly this thing actually is in daylight? Maybe I did. Thank god its going.
I wonder to what extent the IP has to be included for there to be a decent chance of approval. Like to what extent will IP be tied into this new show for it to have been approved by the higher-up folks.

bcoachable

It isn’t. But consensus is it’s not worth presenting any new attraction to Chapek without a tie in since it has a slim chance of being approved.

Did I ever say how plain ugly this thing actually is in daylight? Maybe I did. Thank god its going.
So you are hearing the tacos are gone?? (Sorry if that has already been confirmed/mentioned- I’m not (enjoying) keeping up with this stuff much as I used to)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Considering the fact that the central barge was off centered with the American pavilion, I wonder if it was meant to be centered with the Festival center instead.

I think that was just a case of them reusing the globe's hookup that was already there. I might be mistaken though.
Lake bed conditions dictated it be moved slightly. The plan was for it to be centred .

jrhwdw

No. Because of it was centered, it would not have allowed travel to other galaxies. That was kind of the whole point.

Now we will never make it to Disney’s Hyperion Resort.
Honestly!!!!!

I was just wondering what the difference was from every IllumiNations Ball being centered and the Stargate is not..........

TheMaxRebo

Interesting. I was walking around with an Imagineer last week and heard a different version that I'm not inclined to believe: They determined the exact centerline of the park itself and used that, not realizing that it didn't line up with the American Adventure and SSE.

That would surprise me if true - given how exacting with things they seemed to be when originally building EPCOT (what shade of white to use on the American Pavilion, etc) .... unless maybe things settled over the 40 years and what was center no longer is?

Building conditions with the lake bed sound more probably

Vinnie Mac

Interesting. I was walking around with an Imagineer last week and heard a different version that I'm not inclined to believe: They determined the exact centerline of the park itself and used that, not realizing that it didn't line up with the American Adventure and SSE.
With how symmetrical Disney parks are in design I'd be very surprised if this was true

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With how symmetrical Disney parks are in design I'd be very surprised if this was true
Yeah, I'd be surprised, too, if they were out in the boat positioning the Stargate with a GPS device dictating its position down to geographical coordinates of minutes and hundredths of seconds.

RSoxNo1

Well, consider that Epic Universe is doubling down on IP, too.

Even Six Flags feels the need to paint a coaster red and blue and call it a Superman ride.

Don't think anything will change for a long time. You'd need an IP-less theme park like Evermore to become more popular than Disney to change the current trajectory.
Universal has and will build attractions not tied to an IP (the dueling hub coasters do not appear to have an IP). But historically the Universal parks have always been about IP. Historically the Disney parks have been a mix. That changed when Iger took over with the only new stateside ride built without an IP being the Red Car Trolleys.

I wrote this years ago and it's still very relevant.

RSoxNo1

I hate to say it, I genuinely do, but I actually do see where Chapek is coming from as well. When the average person goes to Disney World, they expect to see characters that they are familiar with or have grown up with. Think about how popular meet and greets are. Ofc I'd love to see more attractions and shows with original storylines and concepts, but I have come to accept that IP will be a huge part of the parks from now on (or at least during this Chapek era).

IP also doesn't eliminate the chances for classic attractions or shows. Think Happily Ever After. A show full of current IP but one I would consider a modern-day Disney parks classic. I've always said before that it to me is like the Illuminations of Magic Kingdom (sorry Wishes!).

And there's always the possibility of original concepts being mixed in with IP. If balanced correctly it could turn out well. That's why I am curious about how this new show will turn out
I have nothing against characters in the parks, even in EPCOT. They need to be done correctly though. That's always been the argument.

To your point however, I'm not sure people were complaining at guest services that The Three Caballeros weren't in the Mexico Pavilion or that Ratatouille wasn't in France. They may be complaining that Coco isn't in the Mexico Pavilion. (As a point of note, I have no issue with Ratatouille in France).

Historically, Disney thrived by often giving guests things that they didn't know they wanted. Yes, there were familiar faces but there were also things unique to the parks that also made people smile. Even if it's a 70/30 split, there needs to be room for original attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom