Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

gerarar

Premium Member
A ride (or should I say attraction) on the scale of ROTR would do wonders for WDS. That park needs a grand slam, and Rise can do that imo. Spending half (or third) of a day there, ToT really only caught my eye and made that park memorable (aside from the Mickey show). That has probably changed now with Avengers Campus opened, but still.

Obviously something newer and not seen before is always preferred, but it's always a toss up with how rides come about these days...at least Rise is a proven E-ticket attraction, although with a few hiccups (cough cannons) that could be fixed given a "2.0" design and/or iteration.

UpAllNight

I know Disneyland Paris gets a lot of love but let's get real here.

The main park as gorgeous as it is, hasn't had a significant new attraction in forever.

This joke of a park has been open for 20 years and is still absolutely pathetic. They announce a multi billion investment, and it still manages to miss the mark. They own one of the biggest franchies in the world in the Avengers, announce a plan to spend billions, in a park that needs major improvements, and they still mess it up.

What a joke!

UpAllNight

That’s a blessing! They’ve haven’t done something dumb like drop a warehouse in the middle of Adventureland.

Haha that's one way of looking at it! It's a lovely park, with good entertainment & seasonal events. It's a fun place to be.

I do think though that Paris guests deserve to experience the innovation that's occurred in the industry in the past years however. Adventureland has 1 major draw (and is a huge land), Fantasyland doesn't cover any new age classics like all of the others now do. A Magic Kingdom to me doesn't feel like one without a Splash (RIP).

Trekkie101

Let’s not get too wild - it’s a rollercoaster retheme, it was always going to be just that. It’s old track and cars weren’t even going to compete with cosmic rewind, nor was it intended to.

Most of the social media I follow from fans of the park generally think it’s pretty good but could do a little more plussing.

The restaurant is selling out, web slingers are holding large crowds.

Ratatouille continues to have 90 min waits, as does Crushes coaster, both Parisian originals to the park.

The land has Friday, the jet, and live actors. It’s definitely one of the better expansions to have happened at Paris. It’s going down well.

One outlet claimed it was as terrible and needing redone in January, every other article is a copy of that source.

I genuinely believe Paris has turned a corner and is on the road to being pretty special. Not everything will be 10/10 but it’s punching higher.

mrflo

it was always going to be just that
The whole discussion reminds me a bit of when the WDS originally opened 20 years ago. There were lots of fans shocked about the lack of theming and actual things to do. While some other fans were saying that the park is not that bad at all. "It is a working studio and meant to look like that." Of course, there was CinéMagique - one of the few major highlights. But even Disney had to admit that the park was built on the cheap.

Bob Iger said in the trailer for the Imagineering Story that one of the standards for the parks set by Walt is exceeding guest's expectations and having them wonder "wow, how did Disney do that'?". Right now the answer is mainly "screens"... The attractions in AC are definitely solid. But I think what we have been seeing in AC and know about Frozen land so far lacks the ambition and innovation - magic - that Disney used to have. Fair enough if DLP is still successful with a lower standard for the attractions focusing more on events and shows. From a business perspective it will be hard to argue why they should offer more if most guests are still fine with it.

Trekkie101

I think that’s the issue. I’m happy enough them cheapening out for rethemes for things that were previously done on the cheap.

If money is then invested in some other quality elements.

Some of the seasons in Paris are phenomenal - Jungle Book Jive as a parade / show is probably the best day time show I’ve seen in a castle park.

Electroland and Magical Pride were both pretty decent too. So they can innovate in some ways.

However it does need a few years of sustained investment in attractions, specifically in WDS.

I’m a little scared Star Wars is back on the drawing board - but I’m hopeful it means we’re not getting a cheap version of Galaxies Edge but rather something more full. Because the comparison would always be made.

They also have half a Star Wars land in the castle park, that could be made a full Star Wars land - so I assume possibly the thought has crossed their mind. It already has three Star Wars attractions so changing that up may work out cheaper and better longer term.

It’s a big lake to surround if they don’t come up with more - WDS will grow in some form.

LondonTom

Quite annoying to see that they already had to rope off the base of the Quinjet Platform. While you could argue that the parents should take better care of their kids, I think Disney should also consider adding some playground to WDS.

I remember as a kid how I loved the Honey, I Shrunk The Kids Set Adventure at Disney MGM Studios. There is enough expansion space in WDS. It should not cost a fortune and take too much time to add some activity area for the younger ones themed to PYM Technology, Spider-Man, etc. OR Toy Story - if located in that Pixar Area.

Agreed! The younger kids clearly need somewhere to play and just expel some energy, an Antman/PYM Tech HISTK style playground would be absolutely perfect!

I know its mainly lawyers and a question of responsibility for litigation, but from the video I saw of the kids they weren't doing anything that bad and wouldn't have really injured themselves maybe just let kids be kids (add a soft floor around it maybe 😂). Sometimes kids break bones etc but its a learning experience for them 😂

https://outsidears.fr/2022/07/vers-une-mise-a-niveau-de-lattraction-avengers-assemble-flight-force/

Found this article interesting, it’s in French but your browser should be able to translate it automatically.
Just throwing more money after bad adding more screens (would be less just riding in darkness granted). the coaster isn't designed to do what they want it to do (Cosmic Rewind). Gut the gravity building, expand if needed and chuck the Cosmic Rewind system in there with the Iron Man/Captain Marvel Flight Force theme (maybe have an actual villain turn up than some random Kree missiles too). Can keep the queue/faccade even, as cool as the transport room is we don't need that either.

ToTBellHop

Agreed! The younger kids clearly need somewhere to play and just expel some energy, an Antman/PYM Tech HISTK style playground would be absolutely perfect!

I know its mainly lawyers and a question of responsibility for litigation, but from the video I saw of the kids they weren't doing anything that bad and wouldn't have really injured themselves maybe just let kids be kids (add a soft floor around it maybe 😂). Sometimes kids break bones etc but its a learning experience for them 😂

Just throwing more money after bad adding more screens (would be less just riding in darkness granted). the coaster isn't designed to do what they want it to do (Cosmic Rewind). Gut the gravity building, expand if needed and chuck the Cosmic Rewind system in there with the Iron Man/Captain Marvel Flight Force theme (maybe have an actual villain turn up than some random Kree missiles too). Can keep the queue/faccade even, as cool as the transport room is we don't need that either.
CR would not fit. So we get the coaster we have.

LondonTom

CR would not fit. So we get the coaster we have.
Even if you wanted to do it 1:1 for the show building you likely could with some slight reconfiguration of the access road?

I mean it involves Disney spending more money to demoloish and rebuild the gravity building but essentially you could fit in that corner. (I think 😂)

Very crude and quick overlay using google maps:
1658923078936.png

J4546

I know Disneyland Paris gets a lot of love but let's get real here.

The main park as gorgeous as it is, hasn't had a significant new attraction in forever.

This joke of a park has been open for 20 years and is still absolutely pathetic. They announce a multi billion investment, and it still manages to miss the mark. They own one of the biggest franchies in the world in the Avengers, announce a plan to spend billions, in a park that needs major improvements, and they still mess it up.

What a joke!
That multibillion budget isn't just for the park fyi. It'd for entire resort and while most of it is going to dsp and I agree that park is still the worst, they are also redoing the massive disney hotel castle and completely redoing and expanding their disney village shopping district. There's a lot of work being done and even more still to do. Bit again I do agree dsp is a bad park even with avengers campus open. And worse even when the frozen area and lake are open ot will still.be the worst park, but not a bad park at least

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Passage has you sat down. Avengers has you stood up. Same ride system, different seats.

I've never been a fan of attractions you need to stand up on. You stand in line for over an hour... least they can do is let you get off your feet for 5 minutes in the A/C. But, I guess, if Uni is building their Minions "Moving Sidewalk" ride, Disney is only right to build their own "keep you from sitting" attraction...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've never been a fan of attractions you need to stand up on. You stand in line for over an hour... least they can do is let you get off your feet for 5 minutes in the A/C. But, I guess, if Uni is building their Minions "Moving Sidewalk" ride, Disney is only right to build their own "keep you from sitting" attraction...
I assume you’ve ridden a stand up coaster where you don’t actually stand. You get the idea.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I assume you’ve ridden a stand up coaster where you don’t actually stand. You get the idea.

I do, and I have, though the design of such coasters requires that you "technically" should be fully standing. And even if you are putting some weight on the "seat", it's still not the same as seated. I would be curious the method they have for loading this proposed Avengers attractions. One of the biggest issues with stand up coasters is loading as each individual seat needs to be individually attended to by a ride op to help in adjusting the height of the seat to the rider. It makes the load time of a stand-up coaster significantly longer than most other coasters (not to mention the general confusion by the GP in how to load). Flight of Passage only has okay capacity (compared to other Disney E tickets) and that's with four theaters and a relatively simple loading procedure. Unless you are going to build even more theaters or have a shorter film, I don't see anyway this attraction could have a capacity the same or better than FoP.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
What if each seat auto adjusted? Like Alien Encounter did.

Interesting... but still not without its complications, especially if you have both a "between the legs" component and an over the shoulder component (as would be typical for most stand up coasters). I mean, I don't doubt that it could be done... they found a way to automate the restraints on FoP from the Booster Bike restraints that they are (loosely) based on... so, yeah, it would be interesting to see how they would pull it off...

Sir_Cliff

I’ve never dabbled with the insider side of things, but a trustworthy but unproven contact (so take this with a grain of salt) hinted that a Lion King expansion may have overtaken Galaxy’s Edge in WDSP.
If this is true, I'm not loving the direction WDSP is taking. Not a huge fan of putting Frozen here, and adding Lion King would suggest the park is becoming just a dumping ground for random IP-lands that could just as easily/more suitably be part of the park next-door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom