News D23 Expo 2022

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Sadly, the much anticipated announcement of the high tech $34M Mary Poppins carousel is marred when sources reveal that chappie bought bought a used carousel from a defunct carnival and borrowed screens from Universal to "up-theme" it. In addition, guests will be issued costumes to wear while riding.

He is rumored to have said that up-theming is superior to the previous "plussing" performed by Imagineering. "It adds to our margin, can upcharge to allow advanced costume selection and further shows how our guests ARE the show.

In other rumors, Chappie also recently purchased a $34M yacht.
*Sung like a 1980s TV jingle*
When guests are mad,
'cause things are crappy,
Who do ya blame,
But Good ol' Chappie

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I’m not getting my hopes up. They usually make a big splash with announcements and then things are not done, scaled way back, and/or takes multi years to even get close to happening

I’m not sure they are viewing Epic as a major thing to worry about which concerns me.

They have to begin expanding every park asap with more attractions and shows to spread the crowds or those crowds will end up spreading elsewhere in Orlando on occasion

EricsBiscuit

Not happy with it but if they had to prioritise because they are being tight on $$$, I want Disneyland Paris to get the investment.
I doubt DLRP will exist in 10 years. Europe forgot how to have children and as a result their population pyramid is totally inverted. They won’t have enough CMs, let alone guests, in 10 years or less.

fgmnt

🤔 Like small updates or big updates like new track for Space Mountain?

The most optimistic timeline for a retracking of Space Mountain (something that is overdue and should be supported) is probably in 2026 at the earliest. Operations would throw a fit to see more than one mountain offlined at a time (Splash) and closing Space on its 50th anniversary to rip it up is going to be a hard sell for marketing. Can't deny the easy t-shirt sales.

Ragerunner

I doubt DLRP will exist in 10 years. Europe forgot how to have children and as a result their population pyramid is totally inverted. They won’t have enough CMs, let alone guests, in 10 years or less.
Tokyo Disneyland seems to be doing well despite Japan’s significant population decline and lack of young workers.

MagicHappens1971

I believe Disney is contractually obligated to build and open a 3rd park by 2030 at Disneyland Paris

EricsBiscuit

Tokyo Disneyland seems to be doing well despite Japan’s significant population decline and lack of young workers.
B96C208C-08EE-4A98-8864-F031C00B2503.jpeg

This is EU in 2016. It has gotten worse since then. Europe is doomed. So is China and Disney’s parks there too. Japan is indeed aging very rapidly but the effects of EU’s coming population decline will start to be really felt over the next 10 y.ears
I believe Disney is contractually obligated to build and open a 3rd park by 2030 at Disneyland Paris
If they’re smart they should negotiate their way out of that one. It would be a massive mistake.

Dan Deesnee

Regarding Disney and Epic Universe. At this stage with EU so far out most of the discussion is likely taking place at the C-suite / board of directors level. This means leaks or insider info will be exceedingly hard to come by until those top level people start to make decisions. Once they decide how to counter EU the directives will go down stream to lower levels and that is when we'll get leaks and rumors.

The reason we're getting "Disney doesn't care about EU because nobody is even taking about it." is because none of the insiders are at those top levels.

With D23 this year I expect Disney to announce the absolute bare minimum. This would allow them to showcase what Universal will perceive as weakness. Right now every single day epic universe's plans are changing, being discussed, and budgets are being set. If Disney displays weakness Universal might start to cut back. If Disney announces some huge incredible things at d23 Universal could ramp budget up making it harder for what Disney does to go up against EU.

Disney's best strategy here is to keep big announcements held back and announced periodically and very strategically. Bob is a money man, like it or not, and he will want the biggest bang for his buck when committing money to large projects over the next few years.

bhg469

Regarding Disney and Epic Universe. At this stage with EU so far out most of the discussion is likely taking place at the C-suite / board of directors level. This means leaks or insider info will be exceedingly hard to come by until those top level people start to make decisions. Once they decide how to counter EU the directives will go down stream to lower levels and that is when we'll get leaks and rumors.

The reason we're getting "Disney doesn't care about EU because nobody is even taking about it." is because none of the insiders are at those top levels.

With D23 this year I expect Disney to announce the absolute bare minimum. This would allow them to showcase what Universal will perceive as weakness. Right now every single day epic universe's plans are changing, being discussed, and budgets are being set. If Disney displays weakness Universal might start to cut back. If Disney announces some huge incredible things at d23 Universal could ramp budget up making it harder for what Disney does to go up against EU.

Disney's best strategy here is to keep big announcements held back and announced periodically and very strategically. Bob is a money man, like it or not, and he will want the biggest bang for his buck when committing money to large projects over the next few years.
Just curious what you've heard about epic universe changes? The only thing i have heard is additions to the plans and not cuts... For example the rumor of A lord of the rings addition... Also what was supposed to be a theater show in the Classic monsters area appears to be a possible ride instead...

EricsBiscuit

Since there are 8,000,000,000 people on earth…more people actually need to “forget”
You’re wrong. We need to have a TFR of at least 2.1 or society collapses. You will see in EU lots of pain starting in the next ten years. There will be so many retirees and only so many workers. The crunch placed on families by soaring dependency ratios will leave no room for a trip to DLP, much less flying across the pond to WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You’re wrong. We need to have a TFR of at least 2.1 or society collapses. You will see in EU lots of pain starting in the next ten years. There will be so many retirees and only so many workers. The crunch placed on families by soaring dependency ratios will leave no room for a trip to DLP, much less flying across the pond to WDW.
Society won’t Exist on a asteroid. But if you want to make declarations…have at it

Dan Deesnee

Just curious what you've heard about epic universe changes? The only thing i have heard is additions to the plans and not cuts... For example the rumor of A lord of the rings addition... Also what was supposed to be a theater show in the Classic monsters area appears to be a possible ride instead...

Outside of what you mentioned, I have only heard that it is full steam ahead with no cuts.

I've worked in corporate finance for the past few decades. I could be completely wrong about Disney's strategy here. However, in many other situations like this that I've been involved with, that is typically how it goes.

fgmnt

Regardless, don’t think the operations of DLP would really be a priority for anyone if the European union is collapsing then.

Jrb1979

Outside of what you mentioned, I have only heard that it is full steam ahead with no cuts.

I've worked in corporate finance for the past few decades. I could be completely wrong about Disney's strategy here. However, in many other situations like this that I've been involved with, that is typically how it goes.
The problem with doing that is with how long they take to finish projects anything announced at D23 wouldn't likely be open til Epic Universe is open. IMO they don't think Epic Universe is going to affect them.

RSoxNo1

The absolute minimum they have to announce is an Imagination replacement and a Dinorama replacement.

I don't see any scenario playing out where they don't announce those two things and fans should be happy.

doctornick

The problem with doing that is with how long they take to finish projects anything announced at D23 wouldn't likely be open til Epic Universe is open. IMO they don't think Epic Universe is going to affect them.
Yes, this is ultimately the issue. It’s not a big deal is Disney doesn’t announce anything at D23 to counter Epic Universe. But if they want something done to counter EU in 2025 then they pretty much have to start building this year given Disney timeframes. So that means having some approved and moving along now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The absolute minimum they have to announce is an Imagination replacement and a Dinorama replacement.

I don't see any scenario playing out where they don't announce those two things and fans should be happy.
Really?…how’s that.
I don’t see either of those being anywhere near a priority.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom