News Another Fight at Magic Kingdom

zombiebbq

I have no idea how you got an obligation to appease people out of an explanation of what leads to people acting out.

Disney is contributing to the problem - I never said they owe some appeasement to those who snap.

Read more.
Exactly my point as well. We're having a discussion on why this may be happening more, or why this is happening now. Not whether it should be happening (we all know it shouldn't be).

zombiebbq

When I hear people say the uptick in fights is because of park policy, expensive prices, the heat, etc, I think of domestic abusers who blame the victim for their actions. "YOU made me strike you!" It's YOUR fault I get violent sometimes..."

That is complete nonsense.
I agree Disney's policies may cause stress, headache, anger, frustration, all of the above or none of the above. But the choice to engage in violence of any kind is all on you.
No one is justfying the behavior. We are discussing why it's occurring. There's a difference people seem to be missing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've tried to understand the difference by asking both @flynnibus and @Incomudro what they would actually have Disney do to reduce such behaviour. Neither of them offered any suggestions. Perhaps you will.
Next time you goto the States... be completely different and book a day at Discovery Cove. You'll snap out of this daze and realize 'no, it doesn't have to be like that...' and realize what it means to actually be catered to instead of herded around.

Or if you are the type that will never believe in doing anything non-Disney... at least do a 5 day DCL cruise somewhere and realize the approach is entirely different.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Next time you goto the States... be completely different and book a day at Discovery Cove. You'll snap out of this daze and realize 'no, it doesn't have to be like that...' and realize what it means to actually be catered to instead of herded around.

Or if you are the type that will never believe in doing anything non-Disney... at least do a 5 day DCL cruise somewhere and realize the approach is entirely different.

So if Disney catered to this family, they wouldn't have ambushed the other family because the girl got out of line to get her phone and then got back in?

monothingie

Turn those machines back on!
Premium Member
Humans have once again had an impact on wildlife.

This happened today at DAK. Damn you Bob Chapek.
giraffe wtf GIF

flynnibus

Premium Member
So if Disney catered to this family, they wouldn't have ambushed the other family because the girl got out of line to get her phone and then got back in?
Please don't quote me if you aren't actually going to talk about what was quoted.

'catered to this family'? what does that even mean here? This thread of replies has nothing to do with the SPECIFICS of this incident but everything about the contributing elements that are causing people to be more on edge, more stressed, less tolerant, and generally more volatile.

People on edge are more likely to snap and act out of character. Create a tinderbox... don't be surprised when a spark starts a fire.

LittleBuford

First, I live in the US.

Second, I’m in it for the Disney angle specifically. Non-Disney theme parks aren’t of interest to me, especially ones centred on captive animals (I don’t enjoy zoos and avoid Animal Kingdom for that reason).

Third, you still haven’t offered any suggestions for how Disney could have prevented the fight under discussion here.

Timmay

Please don't quote me if you aren't actually going to talk about what was quoted.

'catered to this family'? what does that even mean here? This thread of replies has nothing to do with the SPECIFICS of this incident but everything about the contributing elements that are causing people to be more on edge, more stressed, less tolerant, and generally more volatile.

People on edge are more likely to snap and act out of character. Create a tinderbox... don't be surprised when a spark starts a fire.
Only, violent behavior is rarely “snapping” or “out of character.” It’s quite predictable based on patterns of previous behavior. In other words, this wasn’t the first rodeo for the instigators.

People being more on edge, more stressed, and less tolerant doesn’t equal violent behavior. It is far more likely to produce some yelling and screaming without actual violence. Violence centers around domination against a person or persons that is felt committed some type of wrong towards the instigator.

zombiebbq

The post you were responding to never mentioned or alluded to justifying the behavior.
Yes, it did. It's arguing that those of us attempting to explain why this may be happening are blaming Disney for it happening, aka justifying it by saying it's Disney's fault for being a crowded rip off. I'm saying that's not mine or @flynnibus point.

flynnibus

Premium Member
First, I live in the US.

Second, I’m in it for the Disney angle specifically. Non-Disney theme parks aren’t of interest to me, especially ones centred on captive animals (I don’t enjoy zoos and avoid Animal Kingdom for that reason).
Well, if you refuse to look outside the box.. you'll always struggle to understand the world outside the box.

Third, you still haven’t offered any suggestions for how Disney could have prevented the fight under discussion here.

Because the entire point is not 'preventing' the fight - but to acknowledge the tinderbox and start considering how it's getting to that point. These posts are not about the individual incident. It's about the increased stresses Disney is putting on its guests combined with building dissatisfaction... and acknowledging how that creates a more volatile situation.

DCL costs way more than the same 'unit' of Disney.. yet customers aren't nearly on the same edge. This isn't just coincidence. Customer dissatisfaction is not dissociated from customer outbursts.

In the example of this particular case... I think it highlights a fundamental issue with how the parks handle queues. They are largely unattended. This causes problems with cleanliness and it causes an impression of lack of authority being present. Attraction CMs aren't really tasked or enabled to intervene in these kinds of situations either. Could Disney give guests better ways to resolve points of friction? Could Disney provide a better impression of control/authority in the space? (people tend to behave differently in the absence of authority).

Yes, some people are just #@^$holes and are going to act out no matter what. And in those cases they should be dealt with swiftly (IMO). But the growing strains and failures to deliver cause even more people to be on edge.. and you get increases in incidents. No one is claiming a big shift in the demographics in the park - but instead noting people are less tolerant and more on edge.

ElvisMickey

It’s amazing to me how the economy is in the yet you go to the parks and see folks who can’t even keep a job at Captain D’s staying at deluxe resorts for weeks duking it out with others who are doing the same. Where’s the disconnect?!

Last edited by a moderator:

zombiebbq

Also, I'm just gonna say, there's a reason YouTube and etc. are filled with videos titled things like:
1. Fight breaks out at theme park!!
2. Fight breaks out at Walmart Black Friday!!
3. Passenger goes beserk on airplane!!

And NOT filled with titles like:
1. Fight breaks out at exclusive Spa!
2. Fight breaks out at private backyard pool!
3. Fight breaks out on private airplane!

And I think we all know why that is. I'll say it again, I'm amazed this nonsense doesn't occur more often at Disney.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I’m not convinced this is happening more frequently. Just can’t tell for sure.

It wouldn’t be surprising if it most frequently occurs during hot nasty season.

Pancho

2. Fight breaks out at private backyard pool!
3. Fight breaks out on private airplane!

And I think we all know why that is. I'll say it again, I'm amazed this nonsense doesn't occur more often at Disney.
I don't think there are a lot of Vloggers at private backyard pool or on private planes, just saying.

Patcheslee

After reading the back and forth with leaving line for restroom then returning, I'm seriously thinking about applying for DAS to avoid possible confrontations if my bladder acts up. I read 7DMT had a temporary return queue in March 2021 to address returning party members. How difficult would it be for Disney to implement this permanently at ride that routinely see 60+ minute waits?

LittleBuford

Well, if you refuse to look outside the box.. you'll always struggle to understand the world outside the box.
My world isn't defined by theme parks. Most of my holidays are to historical sites in various parts of the world. I do not find those holidays any less demanding or planning-intensive than a visit to WDW. Crowds, heat, scheduling, and relentless activity don't bother me in the least; on the contrary, I thrive on them, whether at Disney or elsewhere (ETA: well, not heat so much, but I'll take it if I have to). Such holidays aren't stressful to me; they are what I seek out and enjoy.

Others prefer a more relaxed approach, which is fine—we're all different, and we're lucky enough to live in a world with countless vacation options catering to all manner of tastes and desires.

I'll say it again: a trip to WDW is a voluntarily undertaken thing. Those going should have at least some sense of what they're getting themselves into. And if the reality ends up being much more stressful than they anticipated, they can express their displeasure without physically attacking others. Even the toughest demands of a Disney holiday are nowhere near enough to put someone in that zone. Except in really, really extreme circumstances (the kind that have nothing to do with a theme-park vacation), well-adjusted people do not struggle to remain nonviolent.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom