MagicBand+ announced

Hcalvert

Not sure what you mean by put it up. If you mean put up for sale, then that band would be tied to you and no one else could use it.
No, I mean in my storage with the other 50th memorabilia that I bought during my last trip. I don't resell. We haven't decided whether or not to renew yet.

esskay

I know this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but I have to say they seem pretty underwhelming.

The poor sync with fireworks, and in some cases not working at all is obviously just going to be teething problems, and likely worked out within a few days. But the ~$1 worth of components and lackluster features just make it all seem a bit pointless. You get the priviledge of needing to remember to charge your band up, in exchange for 4 tiny blinking LEDs...very magical.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I know this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but I have to say they seem pretty underwhelming.

The poor sync with fireworks, and in some cases not working at all is obviously just going to be teething problems, and likely worked out within a few days. But the ~$1 worth of components and lackluster features just make it all seem a bit pointless. You get the priviledge of needing to remember to charge your band up, in exchange for 4 tiny blinking LEDs...very magical.
I think that is a fair comment and a view that will be shared by a good number of people. There is a market for this product, and I think kids especially will like the interactive features. But for some, MagicMobile is the wya to go.

dreday3

I think I will enjoy the statues feature. It's worth the extra few bucks to walk up to Pinocchio and hear him tell us he's going to be a real boy!
It's not a lot of money for extra things to do throughout your trip. Plan to visit each statue in each park to hear what they "say". Going to do the Batuu game which seemed like silly fun.

We will have regular bands, so probably won't use it everyday, 9 day trip. And I find a band easier to use than whipping out my phone every time, plus had some issues trying to pay with it last trip.

And I am like my cat - I enjoy things that light up.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Just curious has anyone noticed this thing selling out or experiencing restocking issues? If this were a hot item you would think they’d have trouble keeping it on the shelves.

It seems like MB+ is a lackluster bomb. I mean word of mouth seems like it’s been awful, so I really don’t see a future for this product. I guess if we see a sale or price cut soon that would be telling.

dreday3

Just curious has anyone noticed this thing selling out or experiencing restocking issues? If this were a hot item you would think they’d have trouble keeping it on the shelves.

It seems like MB+ is a lackluster bomb. I mean word of mouth seems like it’s been awful, so I really don’t see a future for this product. I guess if we see a sale or price cut soon that would be telling.

It's been two days. :oops:😂

TheMaxRebo

I don't think that is an unpopular take - I think that is how most feel.

Seems like more of a gimmick at this point than anything .... Which, gimmicks can be fun and as others have said, really only like $10 more than a regular magic band so much worse/less useful things I have spent $10 on at Disney

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It's been two days. :oops:😂
Any excessive pent up demand for these units would be indicated during it's initial offering.
And they were selling like hotcakes all day long at MK but they did have plenty of stock
As does a lot of merch at WDW gift shops, particularly the large ones. Remember it isn't unusual to have runs on hot new items with long lines and limited stock at WDW.

AEfx

Agreed. Watching some of these videos I'm just like...really?

The charging thing is just hilarious and sad. Tim Tracker bought one to use in the park that day, and had to go sit out in his car to recharge it before he could even go back in the park to use it. He has been walking around with a battery pack in his hand, plugged in to the charger, plugged into his "magic" band. Nothing seems very magical about that to me at all.

Because, people really were asking for yet another device to carry around that needs to be charged. With a flimsy looking proprietary charger they need to keep track of. And presumably have a different one for each member of their family, unless they are waking up all night long to switch bands to charge.

All of this...so you can stare down at your phone more and see virtual things in a Disney park instead of Disney, actually, you know, building real things to see and experience.

I'm amazed that I'm amazed...but yet, I'm amazed. That this is not only a thing, but a thing people are waiting in line to do.

dreday3

The charging thing is just hilarious and sad. Tim Tracker bought one to use in the park that day, and had to go sit out in his car to recharge it before he could even go back in the park to use it. He has been walking around with a battery pack in his hand, plugged in to the charger, plugged into his "magic" band. Nothing seems very magical about that to me at all.

Because, people really were asking for yet another device to carry around that needs to be charged. With a flimsy looking proprietary charger they need to keep track of. And presumably have a different one for each member of their family, unless they are waking up all night long to switch bands to charge.

All of this...so you can stare down at your phone more and see virtual things in a Disney park instead of Disney, actually, you know, building real things to see and experience.

I'm amazed that I'm amazed...but yet, I'm amazed. That this is not only a thing, but a thing people are waiting in line to do.

Most products need to be fully charged when bought new and taken out of a package. So I disagree with that criticism.

Just another thing that not only are people excited to complain about, but also excited to ridicule those who plan to use them. Traditions, it's what keeps us together! 😄

Andrew25

Most products need to be fully charged when bought new and taken out of a package. So I disagree with that criticism.

Just another thing that not only are people excited to complain about, but also excited to ridicule those who plan to use them. Traditions, it's what keeps us together! 😄

It's not a bad complaint at all - if you are purchasing it inside the park you shouldn't have to worry about it not being charged and then having to update it. All of which is time-consuming and just adds another minor level of stress to an already annoying theme park experience.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Any idea if there is going to be a Starcruiser-exclusive MB+? If you take an early shuttle from the ship to Batuu, you have time to play around, and playing the Bounty Hunter game would be a fun way to spend some time. It would be cool if there was a Starcruiser exclusive that would obviate the need to wear/bring separate MBs. Or maybe a handheld puck like on Mandalorian?

Yes, I'm part of the problem. Feel free to ridicule.

dreday3

It's not a bad complaint at all - if you are purchasing it inside the park you shouldn't have to worry about it not being charged and then having to update it. All of which is time-consuming and just adds another minor level of stress to an already annoying theme park experience.

Still disagree. The battery wears down even just sitting, so depending on how long ago it was packaged is how low the battery charge is. Just like a new phone, you have to charge it first.

Now if the full charge only lasts a couple hours, then I get that complaint.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
It's literally illegal to ship rechargeable batteries fully charged. Disney cannot, by law do what you'd like them to do.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster

Ah yes, "blogger buying inside the park for heavy same-day use" is the typical use case for this product, not "family of four who orders these through MDX in April for their trip in July and has three months to update, pair, and charge them."

correcaminos

I haven't ordered because I cannot decide which I want. I just want a rechargeable band is all. Really don't care about the rest 😳

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom