Reservation expansion

Disney Glimpses

Based on what I am hearing, I'd put the chance of reservations coming to hopping at almost 0.

Reservations are really just to prevent phased closures from occurring and prevent more people from showing up in the morning than they can handle. Once the day proceeds beyond that initial rope drop, they can toggle park hopping indicators dynamically. No need to require add'l reservations.

Last edited:

bhg469

Based on what I am hearing, I'd put the chance of reservations coming to hopping at almost 0.

Reservations are really just to prevent phased closures from occurring and prevent more people from showing up in the morning than they can handle. Once the day proceeds beyond that initial rope drop, they can toggle park hopping indicators dynamically. No need to require add'l reservations.
I wish I didn't believe Marni but I tend to think he's correct here.

AEfx

This has merit.

I have no doubt.

I was honestly shocked that this wasn't how it was from the start, given how deeply and insanely far they went to begin with.

My assumption has always been that they weren't requiring it yet due to technical issues. I couldn't imagine that they would leave a "loophole" like this without a reason, so I am entirely un-surprised to hear they are finally getting around to closing it.

Disney Glimpses

I wish I didn't believe Marni but I tend to think he's correct here.
He might be but of the circle of people I know (who know other people as well), there hasn't even been a whisper of reservations for hopping. Other (significant) changes are coming to Park Pass (really AP changes), but this is the first time I've heard about something like this. In fact, the response I got was as if they discovered I had six heads. Time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

If this does have merit, EPCOT seriously needs to be exempt. Half the reason I get park hopper is so that I can use EPCOT as a gateway to Hollywood Studios and the Boardwalk. I’m sure many Boardwalk and Crescent Lake guests use it in reverse for the Magic Kingdom.
Changes are coming that will solve this. They're well aware of this issue/loophole.

Disney Glimpses

Why is it an issue or a loophole? Sometimes we want to take the monorail and aren't in a hurry to get to MK, so we enter from Beach Club through IG and walk to front of park.
Because EPCOT is the least desirable park to reserve and it's also the park with the most capacity. So many people simply reserve it when DHS and MK are unavailable with the intention of hopping to DHS or MK. This causes Disney to both artificially lower the number of Park Pass reservations available for DHS/MK and experience afternoon crowds above their desired threshold when they predict too few hoppers.

dreday3

Because EPCOT is the least desirable park to reserve and it's also the park with the most capacity. So many people simply reserve it when DHS and MK are unavailable with the intention of hopping to DHS or MK. This causes Disney to both artificially lower the number of Park Pass reservations available for DHS/MK and experience afternoon crowds above their desired threshold when they predict too few hoppers.

So you're saying it's an issue now, with park reservations. Because pre-covid, it was not an issue or a loophole.

Disney Glimpses

After 2 pm he said you can hop to another park that has available reservations
To be clear, this is almost certainly true. Hopping with no restrictions makes little sense. It was only a matter of time before they started referring guests to the calendar to determine eligibility. The part being disputed is the second reservation part. That would actually shock me. Nonetheless, August would surprise me but it's possible.

DisneyHead123

To be clear, this is almost certainly true. Hopping with no restrictions makes little sense. It was only a matter of time before they started referring guests to the calendar to determine eligibility. The part being disputed is the second reservation part. That would actually shock me. Nonetheless, August would surprise me but it's possible.
Yikes! That sounds like the worst of both worlds. Pay extra for a ticket with no idea if you can really even use it as intended. Reservations would be a pain but they would take away the dice-roll element that Disney seems bound and determined to insert into as many aspects of a Disney vacation as possible. No idea what rides you can get with Genie, no idea what parks you can get with a hopper… I don’t understand this approach at all.

Disney Glimpses

Yikes! That sounds like the worst of both worlds. Pay extra for a ticket with no idea if you can really even use it as intended. Reservations would be a pain but they would take away the dice-roll element that Disney seems bound and determined to insert into as many aspects of a Disney vacation as possible. No idea what rides you can get with Genie, no idea what parks you can get with a hopper… I don’t understand this approach at all.
Not necessarily. They don't want to leave money on the table so if they were to restrict hopping in this way, the reservation calendar would have to accurately reflect current guest volume which would mean better availability (right now they are restricting reservations due to hopping).

DisneyHead123

Not necessarily. They don't want to leave money on the table so if they were to restrict hopping in this way, the reservation calendar would have to accurately reflect current guest volume which would mean better availability (right now they are restricting reservations due to hopping).
Even if you have, say, a 75% chance of getting the park you want on a hopper (under that system), there’s still a substantial chance that you won’t. To my mind selling someone a park hopper and telling them they won’t know for sure where they can “hop” until day-of makes the park hopper option pointless for anyone who wants to hop to a specific park. And from a customer service perspective it’s so bad it borders on self parody.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom