Top of the World Reopening Soon

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
To gain access to the lounge, eligible Members should provide their eligible digital Membership Card (found in My Disney Experience). Eligibility includes Members with direct purchase benefits indicated as Y on the back of the digital Membership Card as well as a resort reservation at any Disney Vacation Club resort, or Disney-owned-and-operated hotel, at Walt Disney World Resort (booked with Vacation Points or cash within their Membership)."
This reads like if one is staying on cash that it must be through member services? Am I reading this correctly? Was it like this before?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This reads like if one is staying on cash that it must be through member services? Am I reading this correctly? Was it like this before?
That's how I would read it. And yes, anyone with a blue card (or a Y on the digital card now) staying on property with points or a member services cash reservation was allowed access. If you stayed at POFQ on cash as a DVC member, you should not have been allowed to go there in the past.

correcaminos

That's how I would read it. And yes, anyone with a blue card (or a Y on the digital card now) staying on property with points or a member services cash reservation was allowed access. If you stayed at POFQ on cash as a DVC member, you should not have been allowed to go there in the past.
Not much to add, but that's how I read it too

JaxFLBear

The TOTWL Page on the member website doesn't include the "within their membership" wording. Not sure where that came from.

The official access eligibility text from the member website says:
Eligible Disney Vacation Club Members with access to Membership Extras––who are staying at a Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with Vacation Points or cash)––may enjoy access to this exclusive space just outside Magic Kingdom park.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The TOTWL Page on the member website doesn't include the "within their membership" wording. Not sure where that came from.

Upon rereading the website for other events that require blue card membership, some do say that cash reservations made through either Disney or a travel agent are eligible for the events. So it appears that as long as you are a blue card member, even staying with cash at a value resort, then you are eligible to visit. Time will tell if that changes in the future.

JaxFLBear

The direct vs. resale page still lists resale with access:
That will be changed (eventually) since the official TOTWL page on the member website says access now requires eligibility for membership extras.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Resale access is only for the persons that have already been grandfathered in (bought before March 21, 2011). I don't see that changing, though DVC certainly can change the rules anytime they wish. Those who bought resale only after April 4, 2016 have no access to the TOTWL.

Disney Glimpses

Resale access is only for the persons that have already been grandfathered in (bought before March 21, 2011). I don't see that changing, though DVC certainly can change the rules anytime they wish. Those who bought resale only after April 4, 2016 have no access to the TOTWL.
Right, so the website needs to be updated due to that change. People who purchased resale after 2016 had access though, until now.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Right, so the website needs to be updated due to that change.
It's at the bottom of the page:

effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

That is currently the only group restricted from Membership Extras.

Disney Glimpses

It's at the bottom of the page:

effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

That is currently the only group restricted from Membership Extras.
Understood, but lounge access was not included in membership extras until now as noted by the green checkbox under the resale column.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member

I believe Moonlight Magic limits eligibility to the membership used for the reservation. For example, I have one direct blue card eligible membership and one ineligible membership (two different membership numbers). I booked stays for my family and another, one from points in each contract, and I went to book Moonlight Magic. I was told that because the second room was booked with an ineligible membership that I could not include that room in my Moonlight Magic reservation. My understanding is that in the future my own eligibility for Moonlight Magic will depend on the source of points used.

Maybe the TOTWL will be similar and it will matter what pool of points are used to determine eligibility? That could explain what they're doing with "within your membership," some new way to limit resale contracts so people don't just buy minimum direct and go resale for balance? (For people with resale direct in same membership ID, it probably wouldn't matter, but may matter to people like me with multiple memberships).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I believe Moonlight Magic limits eligibility to the membership used for the reservation. For example, I have one direct blue card eligible membership and one ineligible membership (two different membership numbers). I booked stays for my family and another, one from points in each contract, and I went to book Moonlight Magic. I was told that because the second room was booked with an ineligible membership that I could not include that room in my Moonlight Magic reservation. My understanding is that in the future my own eligibility for Moonlight Magic will depend on the source of points used.

Maybe the TOTWL will be similar and it will matter what pool of points are used to determine eligibility? That could explain what they're doing with "within your membership," some new way to limit resale contracts so people don't just buy minimum direct and go resale for balance? (For people with resale direct in same membership ID, it probably wouldn't matter, but may matter to people like me with multiple memberships).
As long as your membership card in MDE has a Y, then you should be good regardless of which pool of points you used. Even members that use cash are also eligible. Moonlight Magic is a different beast, due to the fact that they have to restrict the number of people that can attend. The TOTWL is only restricted when it hits max capacity, as everyone will be turned away at that time.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Then maybe they're anticipating pent-up demand necessitating something to limit guests and converting to a membership extra both serves that function + serves as an extra sales carrot while unable to sell new APs.

nickys

Premium Member
It’s been updated now.
That is only for the special pre-opening hard ticket event.

For access on a normal day, this is what it says:

“Eligible Disney Vacation Club Members with access to Membership Extras––who are staying at a Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with Vacation Points or cash)––may enjoy access to this exclusive space just outside Magic Kingdom park.”

So you can be staying at POP and still go if you are eligible for membership extras.

It sucks that you can’t bring up other friends though, unless they’re on your reservation.

And I must admit I didn’t think they would make this a “Membership Extra”. I thought they needed it to make more money.

correcaminos

It’s been updated now.

That is only for the special pre-opening hard ticket event.

For access on a normal day, this is what it says:

“Eligible Disney Vacation Club Members with access to Membership Extras––who are staying at a Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with Vacation Points or cash)––may enjoy access to this exclusive space just outside Magic Kingdom park.”

So you can be staying at POP and still go if you are eligible for membership extras.

It sucks that you can’t bring up other friends though, unless they’re on your reservation.

And I must admit I didn’t think they would make this a “Membership Extra”. I thought they needed it to make more money.
Looks like they're just redirecting for now. Probably updating or removing the link later.

I wonder if more events will occur. There were a lot who went up, took tables and bought nothing. They might want to limit that.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Registration for the party dates (July 8-10) opens tomorrow (6/24) at 11am - $160 per person.

Here is the direct queue-it link for registration from DVCNews -

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom