Top of the World Reopening Soon

castlecake2.0

Is there anyway they can open up the availability to more guest types? I’m not sure how the contract is written. It seems at the moment it’s only for DVC members actively staying onsite. Maybe they could make a set price meal with two seating periods, say 2 hours and 1 hour before the fireworks to encourage people to get there sooner and stay longer? Maybe live music? This is a tricky one.

Club Cooloholic

Is there anyway they can open up the availability to more guest types? I’m not sure how the contract is written. It seems at the moment it’s only for DVC members actively staying onsite. Maybe they could make a set price meal with two seating periods, say 2 hours and 1 hour before the fireworks to encourage people to get there sooner and stay longer? Maybe live music? This is a tricky one.
Making it a destination dining area would help. Have it be some really quality food for dinner. I have no idea though if it has a regular kitchen that could handle that kind of stuff though.

nickys

Premium Member
Making it a destination dining area would help. Have it be some really quality food for dinner. I have no idea though if it has a regular kitchen that could handle that kind of stuff though.
There isn’t a kitchen. All the food came from The Wave, which is presumably why it was more of a light bites menu. I guess they could put one in and reduce the floor space.

castlecake2.0

I know just who we need to make this bar profitable...

1651232348678.gif

i<3riviera

it would be mighty tough to squeeze much of a kitchen in unless they expanded the envelop of the lounge itself; plus there's the whole running of commercial kitchen infrastructure that may or may not have been accounted for on the 16th floor

the white area above the lounge in the first image (technically to the east) is a void, there is no 16th floor; the 15th floor has a flat rooftop area (like the 16th floor observation area) but it's not open to the public; in the second image, there is a commercial element underneath the lounge on the 15th floor; I believe this is already used to support the lounge, likely for receiving the food from from The Wave Steakhouse 71 and transporting it up to the lounge via the dumbwaiter you can see in both images; potentially the 15th floor commercial element could be expanded over the roof area to make a more capable kitchen; but again the commercial kitchen infrastructure would likely need to be added / upgraded

down the hall on either side of the lounge on the 16th floor are restrooms, elevator banks, and villas (not in the image) so there isn't really any other space on the floor to re-purpose into a semi-remote kitchen

1651244875280.png
https://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/downloads/20110433942.pdf?guest=true&parent=DOC827S33240

1651245747744.png
https://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/downloads/20110157299.pdf?guest=true&parent=DOC765S26847

castlecake2.0

it would be mighty tough to squeeze much of a kitchen in unless they expanded the envelop of the lounge itself; plus there's the whole running of commercial kitchen infrastructure that may or may not have been accounted for on the 16th floor

the white area above the lounge in the first image (technically to the east) is a void, there is no 16th floor; the 15th floor has a flat rooftop area (like the 16th floor observation area) but it's not open to the public; in the second image, there is a commercial element underneath the lounge on the 15th floor; I believe this is already used to support the lounge, likely for receiving the food from from The Wave Steakhouse 71 and transporting it up to the lounge via the dumbwaiter you can see in both images; potentially the 15th floor commercial element could be expanded over the roof area to make a more capable kitchen; but again the commercial kitchen infrastructure would likely need to be added / upgraded

down the hall on either side of the lounge on the 16th floor are restrooms, elevator banks, and villas (not in the image) so there isn't really any other space on the floor to re-purpose into a semi-remote kitchen

View attachment 636036
https://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/downloads/20110433942.pdf?guest=true&parent=DOC827S33240

View attachment 636038
https://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/downloads/20110157299.pdf?guest=true&parent=DOC765S26847
Good investigating! So it looks like food options will always remain limited, so what other things could they do? I think making the place with such restricted guest access was a good selling feature but now they’re stuck with a lounge who’s never going to have enough guests to stay full open-close. I really can’t think of much else to get more people from the limited pool they have up there for longer periods.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Good investigating! So it looks like food options will always remain limited, so what other things could they do? I think making the place with such restricted guest access was a good selling feature but now they’re stuck with a lounge who’s never going to have enough guests to stay full open-close. I really can’t think of much else to get more people from the limited pool they have up there for longer periods.
Well, they can either add a cover charge, or a minimum drink purchase to go there. We always bought both food and adult beverages when we would go. I have heard that the CMs don't like working there as a lot of people just go up to watch the fireworks, don't buy anything, so they get lousy tips for the night. Can't blame the CMs for not liking that.

castlecake2.0

Well, they can either add a cover charge, or a minimum drink purchase to go there. We always bought both food and adult beverages when we would go. I have heard that the CMs don't like working there as a lot of people just go up to watch the fireworks, don't buy anything, so they get lousy tips for the night. Can't blame the CMs for not liking that.
Possibly cover charge, I don’t think risk management would ever let a location enforce a drink minimum. But yah, this is not a favorite place for cast to work

Club Cooloholic

View attachment 636036

View attachment 636038
Somebody call Danny Ocean, we take down the lounge....whenever it opens again.
I still think a coffee bar in the morning with baked goods and breakfast sandwichs and burritos would get people. You could even get folks coming from other resorts headed to MK to stop off there as a great place to relax and eat before the slog of the day at MK. And if not that how about a DVC(Blue and white card since the lounge is open to all members) lite Character breakfast (Maybe just two characters)with a simpler breakfast buffet.

correcaminos

Anyone have further insight on if this is reopening soon or not?
Nope. Just the following wording on their website

Top of the World Lounge will be reopening soon to welcome Members “home” at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort! This one-of-a-kind lounge perched on the 16th floor, offers spectacular views of Magic Kingdom Park for Members and their Guests. Check back soon for more details including opening dates

nickys

Premium Member
Nope. Just the following wording on their website

Top of the World Lounge will be reopening soon to welcome Members “home” at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort! This one-of-a-kind lounge perched on the 16th floor, offers spectacular views of Magic Kingdom Park for Members and their Guests. Check back soon for more details including opening dates
So have they dropped the “re-imagined” wording then? 🤞🤞

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom