Top of the World Reopening Soon

correcaminos

I haven’t seen it posted anywhere before today. And it’s beeing posted as new info in several places. But it could have been up before now.
Just the wording about the new lounge smell... maybe it was in a previous notification or something that wording. Weird on my end only maybe

Club Cooloholic

Is that new? I thought I saw that before
I am curious what they mean by "admission criteria", you think they will require reservations, or limit it to adults(Not a fan of the latter)? Could they try to exclude resale? I thought that wasn't possible as it was maintained with maintenance dues or something to that effect. Maybe on Contemporary guests?

correcaminos

I am curious what they mean by "admission criteria", you think they will require reservations, or limit it to adults(Not a fan of the latter).
Your guess is as good as mine. They originally had TOWL only open to guests at BLT. They've done that for holidays. But TOWL on its own doesn't make enough so opened it to all DVC (blue or white card holders) after a short time.

I do doubt adult only. I don't recall any indications of past events for that. Might require reservations... might limit it to blue card but who knows.

Club Cooloholic

Your guess is as good as mine. They originally had TOWL only open to guests at BLT. They've done that for holidays. But TOWL on its own doesn't make enough so opened it to all DVC (blue or white card holders) after a short time.

I do doubt adult only. I don't recall any indications of past events for that. Might require reservations... might limit it to blue card but who knows.
To be honest, if it has that much trouble being used, and I would not want this to happen per say since I haven't made it over there yet(but I probably will if it's open in June), they would be smart to take the top 2 floors of the BLT and make them club level and make the lounge the club, though I suppose that would throw points out of whack for the whole place.

One small edit...they could also open it up to anyone staying at BLT not just DVC members.

Last edited:

correcaminos

To be honest, if it has that much trouble being used, and I would not want this to happen per say since I haven't made it over there yet(but I probably will if it's open in June), they would be smart to take the top 2 floors of the Contemporary and make them club level and make the lounge the club, though I suppose that would throw points out of whack for the whole place.
It would. They'd have to redo charts. Also the food comes from Contemporary which makes it harder. The lounge is not paid for by dues either. I love the idea though and wish we had more club access resorts.

JaxFLBear

I am curious what they mean by "admission criteria", you think they will require reservations, or limit it to adults(Not a fan of the latter)? Could they try to exclude resale? I thought that wasn't possible as it was maintained with maintenance dues or something to that effect. Maybe on Contemporary guests?
The TOTWL is a Commercial Element just like any other lounge/bar, store or restaurant at any other DVC Resort. Commercial Elements are not funded by dues and are supposed to be self-sufficient.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Since they included the "Membership Extras" paragraph at the end of the article, they may be looking to have both reservations required and possibly limit it to blue card holders only. With all the recent price increases for direct buys, this may just be another extra to make buying direct a bit more palatable.

Club Cooloholic

Since they included the "Membership Extras" paragraph at the end of the article, they may be looking to have both reservations required and possibly limit it to blue card holders only. With all the recent price increases for direct buys, this may just be another extra to make buying direct a bit more palatable.
An odd thing to do since we had several people saying the restaurant is barely ever used. If they want it to be sustainable I think maybe opening to any guests staying at the contemporary would be the smart move

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
An odd thing to do since we had several people saying the restaurant is barely ever used. If they want it to be sustainable I think maybe opening to any guests staying at the contemporary would be the smart move
I have no idea when those people were there, but we've been there about 20 times, and it's always been packed. Yes, it does clear out a bit after the fireworks, but many people stayed. I think adding reservations would be a good thing, as that commits people to being there.

correcaminos

I have no idea when those people were there, but we've been there about 20 times, and it's always been packed. Yes, it does clear out a bit after the fireworks, but many people stayed. I think adding reservations would be a good thing, as that commits people to being there.
Because in the beginning limiting it, they found, was not as profitable. We've been dozens of times and never had it packed per say. Making it a bookable thing could be good or bad. Depends on how they do the observation deck.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Because in the beginning limiting it, they found, was not as profitable. We've been dozens of times and never had it packed per say. Making it a bookable thing could be good or bad. Depends on how they do the observation deck.
I think they might have it as reservations required when it first reopens, due to the number of people that have been waiting for it to reopen. Once they gauge response, that might change.

I know that the CMs don't like working there due to the low tips, and I'd really like to kick people that just go there for the fireworks, buy nothing, and then leave. That is NOT what this lounge is supposed to be. To combat that, I can see one of two things happening - a fee to enter or a minimum drink purchase with automatic minimum tips. I would not have an issue with either of those, as we always order both food and adult beverages when we have gone there, and we always tip the CMs well as they have always done a wonderful job.

correcaminos

I think they might have it as reservations required when it first reopens, due to the number of people that have been waiting for it to reopen. Once they gauge response, that might change.

I know that the CMs don't like working there due to the low tips, and I'd really like to kick people that just go there for the fireworks, buy nothing, and then leave. That is NOT what this lounge is supposed to be. To combat that, I can see one of two things happening - a fee to enter or a minimum drink purchase with automatic minimum tips. I would not have an issue with either of those, as we always order both food and adult beverages when we have gone there, and we always tip the CMs well as they have always done a wonderful job.
You have issues with people who go into the lounge and sit and do not buy or on the deck? Just curious. We don't love the lounge offerings as much as we thought we would. So more recently our visits were observation decks only.

People not tipping baffles me. I have heard that before and I do not get it. Automatic tips wouldn't bug me but I can see the Karens being upset.

I also wonder if there will be a difference for lounge vs deck. You don't have to go in the lounge if you don't want to. This isn't my favorite spot for fireworks anyway so I'm good with whatever they do. Was hoping for a good menu change and a retry for June but doubting it now.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You have issues with people who go into the lounge and sit and do not buy or on the deck? Just curious. We don't love the lounge offerings as much as we thought we would. So more recently our visits were observation decks only.
Yup, I have issues with that, as they sit at the tables, order either nothing or a single drink that they nurse for 2 hours, so people that want to have food and drink have no place to sit. I have seen that on multiple occasions. We had no problem sitting after the fireworks.
People not tipping baffles me. I have heard that before and I do not get it. Automatic tips wouldn't bug me but I can see the Karens being upset.
It baffles me as well. Maybe some are under the impression that the CMs there are not tipping positions, though I think it's just people being cheap. We've seen that at the other lounges (Tambu Lounge and Belle Vue Lounge) where people order multiple drinks and leave a dollar. :mad: Oh, and the cheap Karens can go somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.
I also wonder if there will be a difference for lounge vs deck. You don't have to go in the lounge if you don't want to. This isn't my favorite spot for fireworks anyway so I'm good with whatever they do. Was hoping for a good menu change and a retry for June but doubting it now.
If Disney separated them, I would be good with that. Reservations for the lounge with a CM checking at the doors, and everyone else can go to the observation deck. That would work to fix a lot of issues.

We really loved the menu in the past, so hope it is as good or better going forward. Guess we'll see when we get there.

correcaminos

Yup, I have issues with that, as they sit at the tables, order either nothing or a single drink that they nurse for 2 hours, so people that want to have food and drink have no place to sit. I have seen that on multiple occasions. We had no problem sitting after the fireworks.

It baffles me as well. Maybe some are under the impression that the CMs there are not tipping positions, though I think it's just people being cheap. We've seen that at the other lounges (Tambu Lounge and Belle Vue Lounge) where people order multiple drinks and leave a dollar. :mad: Oh, and the cheap Karens can go somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.

If Disney separated them, I would be good with that. Reservations for the lounge with a CM checking at the doors, and everyone else can go to the observation deck. That would work to fix a lot of issues.

We really loved the menu in the past, so hope it is as good or better going forward. Guess we'll see when we get there.
Ah that answered my question then. I realized I phrased it poorly. I have issues too with using the lounge and not buying anything myself. I suppose I found the food choices limited so we stopped going in there anyway. I'd have no issues separating myself and even give paying customers their own roped off area if they chose.

DisneyDebRob

Agree. I have never been there when it wasnt busy. Maybe bad luck on my part but i never thought they were having any problems bringing people in.
As for having people that arent DVC , im not in favor. We get few perks as it is so its nice when something is just for us. Boy i sound bad saying that but i dont mean it that way. We are allowed guests when we go so im sure half the place at anytime is non DVC already. Above Imagination is another little gem that we take advantage of. 99% of Disney is open to everyone.. let us have a little special place.🙂

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Walt Disney World Resort just announced that the recently-refurbished Top of the World Lounge (located atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort) will reopen to Disney Vacation Club Members as Top of the World Lounge – A Villains Lair on July 11, once again offering spectacular views for Members.

As part of Membership Magic, a special hard-ticket event, the "Bound to be Bad" Fireworks Party, will be held prior to the opening on July 8-10. Members will revel in the darker side of their favorite Disney stories during a food-and-drink-filled fireworks party inside the newly refreshed lounge. Hosted by villain super-fans deviously decked out in their "Disney-bounding" best, this Membership Magic event includes a sinister spread of ominous appetizers, an open bar of cunningly crafted cocktails, and a raven's-eye view of the "Disney Enchantment" nighttime spectacular at Magic Kingdom Park.

This hard-ticket event will only be offered to eligible Members who are staying on Walt Disney World Resort property, who will receive more information about the reopening and event.

The location will operate daily from 6 p.m. to midnight; however, operating hours may be further impacted by blackout dates around major holidays and closure due to ticketed or other private events.

To gain access to the lounge, eligible Members should provide their eligible digital Membership Card (found in My Disney Experience). Eligibility includes Members with direct purchase benefits indicated as Y on the back of the digital Membership Card as well as a resort reservation at any Disney Vacation Club resort, or Disney-owned-and-operated hotel, at Walt Disney World Resort (booked with Vacation Points or cash within their Membership)."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom