Top of the World Reopening Soon

bhg469

The lounge pics on the website don't look "villainous" to me. Reading between the lines this sounds like "Character Drinking" as opposed to 'Character Dining' :p
Which sounds like a cool concept but of course most guests will not be able to experience it.

DavidS1234

Hopefully the reimagining is a chance to make it more of a destination spot that has nice fireworks views. In the past, TOTWL was driven by fireworks instead of complemented by fireworks. California Grill is a great restaurant with nice fireworks views, and TOTWL was an okay space that people immediately left after fireworks. Some improvements to the space and menu with expanded hours would make it a great member only lounge that happens to also have great views. They've been looking for ways to monetize lounges even more and this fits in.
^^^this. I'm not a member, but I've been there before for a special event years ago and was underwhelmed. The potential for the place though, if given special attention and maybe a touch of Imagineering, is huge. It could become a major selling point for membership.

Skywise

Which sounds like a cool concept but of course most guests will not be able to experience it.
I suspect they're testing the concept out and if it's successful you'll see them try it in other resorts (that would require paying just to get in).

Honestly it's something they could've done (and might do) with the Galactic Starcruiser.

bhg469

I suspect they're testing the concept out and if it's successful you'll see them try it in other resorts (that would require paying just to get in).

Honestly it's something they could've done (and might do) with the Galactic Starcruiser.
I would consider a cover fee for trader sam's if it were like the one in Disneyland. A very highly themed over the top bar sounds great. Ogas is really cool on paper but the fact that they pour pre mixed drinks is just a big let down.

Club Cooloholic

Well looks like I won't be visiting it anytime soon. I do find it odd they are going to restrict it more considering so many said it was pretty empty before. Would be cool if they had some hours open to all. I have to ask, where does the money come from to keep the lounge open?

Club Cooloholic

I would consider a cover fee for trader sam's if it were like the one in Disneyland. A very highly themed over the top bar sounds great. Ogas is really cool on paper but the fact that they pour pre mixed drinks is just a big let down.
Also I have bever had a seat in Ogas where I can see the DJ

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Well looks like I won't be visiting it anytime soon. I do find it odd they are going to restrict it more considering so many said it was pretty empty before. Would be cool if they had some hours open to all. I have to ask, where does the money come from to keep the lounge open?
I'm guessing from DVC members' annual dues, maybe? 🤷‍♀️

nickys

Premium Member

I'm guessing from DVC members' annual dues, maybe? 🤷‍♀️

Then it would have to allow all members. So must be somewhere else?

Not from annual dues.

I believe it comes from the DVC marketing budget. Like Moonlight Magic. Which does explain why they want to use it as a lure to sell more points. I happen to think that the plan won’t work well though.

nickys

Premium Member
Looks like they're just redirecting for now. Probably updating or removing the link later.

I wonder if more events will occur. There were a lot who went up, took tables and bought nothing. They might want to limit that.
I think that was a part of it.

But I really don’t see how restricting it and limiting guests will change that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see things change on that.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I think that was a part of it.

But I really don’t see how restricting it and limiting guests will change that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see things change on that.
The thing to remember is that when it first opened, it was restricted to only those staying in BLT on points. Since that didn't get the traffic they wanted, they opened it up to anyone staying on points anywhere on property. Now they are saying any eligible DVC member staying on property, regardless of points or cash can go there. So they are opening it a bit for some people, but then restricting it from others. They would really have to push it to make it a worthwhile experience as a member extra to entice people to buy in direct from Disney. I agree that I just don't see that as a big enough incentive to make a difference, but I could be wrong. I'm still waiting for the cover charge to be added to everyone, but I think that would definitely backfire, as most would not be willing to pay it. I'm also thinking a minimum drink buy to sit in the lounge and see the fireworks may be coming as well.

RememberWhen

Is anyone planning to go to the little party? We’re there those dates, but $160 each is a bit steep for us. 2 adults, 1 kid, 1 baby. I assume the baby would be free, but the kid and my mom don’t drink, so I’d have to really be smashed to justify the cost.

JaxFLBear

The thing to remember is that when it first opened, it was restricted to only those staying in BLT on points. Since that didn't get the traffic they wanted, they opened it up to anyone staying on points anywhere on property. Now they are saying any eligible DVC member staying on property, regardless of points or cash can go there. So they are opening it a bit for some people, but then restricting it from others. They would really have to push it to make it a worthwhile experience as a member extra to entice people to buy in direct from Disney. I agree that I just don't see that as a big enough incentive to make a difference, but I could be wrong. I'm still waiting for the cover charge to be added to everyone, but I think that would definitely backfire, as most would not be willing to pay it. I'm also thinking a minimum drink buy to sit in the lounge and see the fireworks may be coming as well.
The only change is now you must be eligible for "Membership Extras" to access it. Prior to the COVID shutdown, you could be staying at any Disney owned & operated resort at WDW or VB on either points or cash and have access to the TOTWL.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The only change is now you must be eligible for "Membership Extras" to access it. Prior to the COVID shutdown, you could be staying at any Disney owned & operated resort at WDW or VB on either points or cash and have access to the TOTWL.
I had thought it was only points prior to COVID, and not cash, but I most certainly could be wrong.

nickys

Premium Member
Pre-Covid though it was any member staying on property. The only restrictions to “staying on points or on a DVC cash reservation” were on the 4 special dates.

So they haven’t added anyone extra to those eligible. They have restricted a large number though, which will annoy a lot of people.

correcaminos

It's surprising to me how many white card holders on a facebook group as upset by this. I'll be interested to watch what happens though. I am not a fan of current fireworks (wasn't really HEA either though) and decided I prefer watching from well outside the park so if they do change and charge for use, I won't care much. Others seem extremely upset.

There can't be too many DVC members staying on cash anyway. Now what would be nice is of they at least let people staying at BLT, be they members or not have access to it
Probably more than you think. Those who want another trip but out of points. I know many who book with AP or DVC discounts. I personally don't see the point in opening to all BLT visitors who aren't entitled to extras. I think that would cause even more people to be upset.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It's surprising to me how many white card holders on a facebook group as upset by this. I'll be interested to watch what happens though. I am not a fan of current fireworks (wasn't really HEA either though) and decided I prefer watching from well outside the park so if they do change and charge for use, I won't care much. Others seem extremely upset.
Just curious, but are they also upset about being locked out of the Moonlight Magic events?

Club Cooloholic

Probably more than you think. Those who want another trip but out of points. I know many who book with AP or DVC discounts. I personally don't see the point in opening to all BLT visitors who aren't entitled to extras. I think that would cause even more people to be upset.
Well, better than it being closed. I don't know, do people really go that often that they use all their points then pay cash to go again? We don't t plan on going again for another 2 years, but I know some folks who go twice a year, sometimes twice a month!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom