The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
It sounds like they're hoping to artificially reduce the number of guests who purchase Genie+ so that when they stop sales for the day early on, they can say "well, you didn't wake up early enough to buy it"; that's the only conclusion I can make from this decision.

So why not only sell it to hotel guests since that’s their bread and butter out there anyway? Or better yet really fix the system and not put another “bandaid.” I’d have to imagine enough hotel guests were purchasing it to make some nice revenue and it would maybe even entice more hotel sales. I get there a business and their job is to make money but there has to be some thought for long term health and customer satisfaction. They keep charging more and giving less. It’s ok to leave 2 cents on the table sometimes to ensure customer satisfaction and the long term health of your business.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Is anyone old enough to remember having to call Disneyland to see what rides were closed? Or how about calling a movie theatre (or checking the newspaper) to hear the movie times on a loop? Sometimes the Movie theatre employees would even jazz it up a little with their delivery. “Caaaanndy Man showing at 2:30pm, 5:00pm, 7:30pm…”

smooch

Fix the Paradise Pier hotel elevators so you don't have to wait an hour for them!
I only stayed there once back in 2017 or 2018 and thought I vaguely remembered elevators taking a long time to arrive, wasn't sure if it was just me or if it's an actual thing. Any reason why it's so slow, just the actual elevator mechanism being old / not working as perfectly as it should? Kinda concerns me if there is an issue with the system even though I know it is highly highly unlikely to have any serious malfunction that would put me in danger.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Is anyone old enough to remember having to call Disneyland to see what rides were closed? Or how about calling a movie theatre (or checking the newspaper) to hear the movie times on a loop? Sometimes the Movie theatre employees would even jazz it up a little with their delivery. “Caaaanndy Man showing at 2:30pm, 5:00pm, 7:30pm…”
"Helloooo and welcome to Moviefone!"

Better yet, do you remember having to call 767-2676 (pop-corn) to get the accurate time according to the atomic clock? (Actually, 767 and any four numbers worked).

"At the tone, Pacific Daylight time will be 1:32pm.............BEEP!"

Phroobar

Oh come on. No one is THAT old.

mickEblu

Original Poster
"Helloooo and welcome to Moviefone!"

Better yet, do you remember having to call 767-2676 (pop-corn) to get the accurate time according to the atomic clock? (Actually, 767 and any four numbers worked).

"At the tone, Pacific Daylight time will be 1:32pm.............BEEP!"

Lol. Wow that’s a blast from the past but I think Moviefone came a little after calling the movie theatre directly.

Haha I remember calling the atomic clock but not the phone number. How about 411? Is that still a thing. The good ol Days

mickEblu

Original Poster
DCA has 5 park exclusive E tickets.

Got me thinking of all the exclusives in Disney parks around the world, RSR has to be the most impressive right? Scanned through all the parks in my head and couldn’t think of a more impressive one.

PiratesMansion

Got me thinking of all the exclusives in Disney parks around the world, RSR has to be the most impressive right? Scanned through all the parks in my head and couldn’t think of a more impressive one.
It's in the conversation, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it definitively wins against:
-Journey to the Center of the Earth
-Shanghai Pirates (potentially arguable but it's a VERY different experience vs the other POTCs)
-Mystic Manor
-Kilimanjaro Safaris

Still, definitively being in the top five among those attractions is no insult.

I could see others arguing for Flight of Passage or Sindbad. Sentimentalists might throw in Spaceship Earth even (I wouldn't). Everest also is just MASSIVE even if everything inside it isn't always the way it should be.

Californian Elitist

This is difficult to answer, since I haven’t been on every single Disney Park E around the world, but I have strong doubts that RSR is the most impressive.

mickEblu

Original Poster
TDR has Journey to the center of the earth, Pooh’s hunny hunt.

Journey of the Center of the Earth came to mind but I don’t think it beats RSR. Granted haven’t actually been on it. RSR is a lot bigger in scope scale from what I remember and racing around the Cadillac Mountain range at night is probably tough to beat. Poohs Hunny Hunt looks awesome but I don’t think many people would rank it before RSR. It’s also a gray area of not really being an exclusive. I know it’s light years better than other Pooh attractions but It would almost be like saying Disneylands POTC was a world exclusive in 1980 because WDWs sucked.

lazyboy97o

Journey of the Center of the Earth came to mind but I don’t think it beats RSR. Granted haven’t actually been on it. RSR is a lot bigger in scope scale from what I remember and racing around the Cadillac Mountain range at night is probably tough to beat. Poohs Hunny Hunt looks awesome but I don’t think many people would rank it before RSR. It’s also a gray area of not really being an exclusive. I know it’s light years better than other Pooh attractions but It would almost be like saying Disneylands POTC was a world exclusive in 1980 because WDWs sucked.
Mount Prometheus is a lot bigger than Cadillac Range.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It's in the conversation, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it definitively wins against:
-Journey to the Center of the Earth
-Shanghai Pirates (potentially arguable but it's a VERY different experience vs the other POTCs)
-Mystic Manor
-Kilimanjaro Safaris

Still, definitively being in the top five among those attractions is no insult.

I could see others arguing for Flight of Passage or Sindbad. Sentimentalists might throw in Spaceship Earth even (I wouldn't). Everest also is just MASSIVE even if everything inside it isn't always the way it should be.

I’d say the attractions you mentioned are all worthy although I can make a case (as a non rider) of why RSR is better than all of them. So I guess I’m saying I agree but I can impulsively toss out a few of them for various reasons.

For example Kilimanjaro relies on what time of day you go and how active the animals are.

Mystic Manor and Journey to the Center of the Earth don’t seem to match the scope n scale of RSR.

I agree POTC Shanghai is different enough to be considered an exclusive. Like way different. It’s not even the same attraction. Yet you still have Jack Sparrows, Jack Sparrow dialogue, a funny take on the jail scene, a wannabe Blue Bayou etc. I think that’s enough to give RSR the nod considering how unique it is.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Mount Prometheus is a lot bigger than Cadillac Range.

Yeah but from what I recall from the POV you aren’t riding around it are you? It’s been a few years but I remember it all taking place inside? I remember it coming off as a much “smaller” experience in general.

lazyboy97o

Yeah but from what I recall from the POV you aren’t riding around it are you? It’s been a few years but I remember it all taking place inside? I remember it coming off as a much “smaller” experience in general.
No, there is a portion outside. It’s not nearly as long, but the whole thing is a massive attraction built into a massive facility.

mickEblu

Original Poster
No, there is a portion outside. It’s not nearly as long, but the whole thing is a massive attraction built into a massive facility.

Right but from a ride experience standpoint I’d say RSR is a more impressive experience as the Cadillac mountain range is actually a good part of the ride too. Granted I haven’t been on Journey so I’m open to being wrong.

PiratesMansion

I’d say the attractions you mentioned are all worthy although I can make a case (as a non rider) of why RSR is better than all of them. So I guess I’m saying I agree but I can impulsively toss out a few of them for various reasons.

For example Kilimanjaro relies on what time of day you go and how active the animals are.

Mystic Manor and Journey to the Center of the Earth don’t seem to match the scope n scale of RSR.

I agree POTC Shanghai is different enough to be considered an exclusive. Like way different. It’s not even the same attraction. Yet you still have Jack Sparrows, Jack Sparrow dialogue, a funny take on the jail scene, a wannabe Blue Bayou etc. I think that’s enough to give RSR the nod considering how unique it is.
I've never had a bad experience on Kilimanjaro, honestly. People have always said it's better in the early morning and I don't doubt that, but I've never ridden it and been disappointed or felt like I was shorted out on what I wanted. The sheer scale of that attraction-bigger than DL park by itself, in fact-is difficult to put into words. RSR is great but can't compete on scope.

Mystic Manor is smaller from a scale perspective, certainly, but I feel like as an overall package it's a stronger attraction. There isn't any of the weirdness that is sometimes neglected when discussing RSR (ex. why are we going through the town we walked through outside, but now we're inside? Why does the background scenery inside sort of just taper off and end?).

Journey, as an entire package, I would say surpasses RSR. Its presence in the park and the area makes a statement, and the queue and process of getting to the attraction is much more elaborate. There isn't a nice outdoor atmospheric section, but the indoor scenery is much grander and more impressive. The fatal flaw of Journey is that the actual attraction is short, and I will grant you that 100%. However, otherwise I can't really find fault with the experience, and while the fast part of RSR has its own benefits (competition, duration), the fast part of Journey is the most POWERFUL moment on any of these rides. That drop out of the mountain provides a catharsis that is certainly unmatched in TT or RSR and is more satisfying than some entire roller coasters. The whole package, and the effect on the entire park, its sheer presence, is more impactful than RSR. I'd argue that while RSR has a significant presence in Cars Land, its main impact on the park itself is that it's the only ride in the place that stands up to what's next door.

In terms of Shanghai Pirates, if we are to make those arguments, could we not also ding RSR for following the same basic template of its predecessors (ex. slow start through interior scenes, various elevation changes, fast part at the end), and bringing little to the table that was truly original or expanded upon what the ride system could do? The increased depth and detail of Journey's sets could stand apart positively from Test Track; did RSR really push any further envelopes with the ride system or the scope of the whole enterprise? I would argue that Shanghai Pirates is enough of a template change from what came before, with the changes in ride system and so on, to justify itself as its own thing despite the nods to the classic attractions. Whereas RSR is a solid attraction but wasn't really a groundbreaker in any meaningful way.

So yeah. It's in the conversation, definitely has lots of merits to it, but I'm not sure there's any scenario where I would personally say that it was the best Disney exclusive attraction in the world.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Now that I have a baby, i can appreciate chase-a-baby as a very impressive piece of Disney imagineering history

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom