Housekeeping door knocking at 8am on check-out days - what's going on?

drizgirl

In all my years on this planet, I've found it quite obvious early risers believe the world should revolve around them. If they are up at 8, you should be too. And you better be quiet late at night, you know, like 9 pm.
So you have rules about respectable sleep times but have issues with others who also do?

Lilofan

We also tip housekeeping, and I’m not defending anyone who doesn’t, but there is a different pay structure. One literally is a tip based salary and the other isn’t.
If I see service being performed that makes my experience to my satisfaction , then I tip accordingly. A tip based salary with poor service doesn't deserve my tip. Some i know make excuses to tip because that is what the waiters live on, even if poor service? That's a cop out.

drizgirl

If I see service being performed that makes my experience to my satisfaction , then I tip accordingly. A tip based salary with poor service doesn't deserve my tip. Some i know make excuses to tip because that is what the waiters live on, even if poor service? That's a cop out.
I’m just saying it’s part of the equation.

Raxel7851

Well after reading this thread from when it first began until now, I can report that the morning of our checkout day at Wilderness Lodge, there was a knock on our door at 8:30 to see if we had checked out. I have to admit though we did not have our Room Occupied sign out. I also received a text banner on my phone that asked if we were checked out. All this after not getting our room until 4:45. However in all fairness one of the front desk CMs did comp us what I would consider a very generous amount for being inconvenienced.

Disstevefan1

Well after reading this thread from when it first began until now, I can report that the morning of our checkout day at Wilderness Lodge, there was a knock on our door at 8:30 to see if we had checked out. I have to admit though we did not have our Room Occupied sign out. I also received a text banner on my phone that asked if we were checked out. All this after not getting our room until 4:45. However in all fairness one of the front desk CMs did comp us what I would consider a very generous amount for being inconvenienced.
This was obviously not a safety check, this was housekeeping trying to get into a room to do whatever it is they do and get their numbers for the day.

In fairness to the housekeeping staff they are indeed overworked, understaffed and underpaid..

Lilofan

This was obviously not a safety check, this was housekeeping trying to get into a room to do whatever it is they do and get their numbers for the day.

In fairness to the housekeeping staff they are indeed overworked, understaffed and underpaid..
How can housekeeping be overworked ? Years ago, our beds were made with clean sheets daily, bathrooms cleaned, room dusted, trash emptied and carpets vaccuumed daily. That's not happening now.

drizgirl

How can housekeeping be overworked ? Years ago, our beds were made with clean sheets daily, bathrooms cleaned, room dusted, trash emptied and carpets vaccuumed daily. That's not happening now.
Come on. You know the answer to that. They are doing less work with even less employees. For a while I believed it was staffing shortages now I believe it’s Disney using the pandemic as cover to reset expectations.

The fault rests squarely on Disney management. If it is a staffing issue then they shouldn’t have opened as many rooms as they did. It is all within their control.

They are trying to slide into a new normal with lower expectations and higher profit margins.

Raxel7851

Oh I’m with you on that. The housekeeping staff has been working extremely hard under difficult circumstances!

Disstevefan1

I am sure they do less and at a lower quality today, but I for one would not want to test it by actually doing their job.

Another factor is, it seems today they are using more and more college program kids to do this work, they have no choice, they are just assigned the job. I guarantee these kids are not enthusiastic about this job.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
How can housekeeping be overworked ?
They're doing more with less. I don't know how it works now but when I did it, I had 16 rooms every day half of which were checkouts, requiring a full room clean. This was before a pandemic with full staffing. I can only imagine the workload they have today with the high turnover and inability to hire.
Another factor is, it seems today they are using more and more college program kids to do this work, they have no choice, they are just assigned the job. I guarantee these kids are not enthusiastic about this job.
My CP was housekeeping and it was a miserable experience. I was one of only 3 CPs in a sea of full time housekeepers, we grew close but I did not have the same thrilling experience that my roommates had working in the parks. I toughed it out because I really wanted to work for Disney but I do not have fond memories of my 6 month program.

Hawg G

That's odd. One tips a waiter even for average to poor service but one doesn't tip a housekeeper for cleaning up one's mess in the bathroom and room?

No, because they aren’t making a tippable job wage.

And the second they wake me up with a tag hanging on my door , their service sucks.

MickeyLuv'r

No, because they aren’t making a tippable job wage.*

And the second they wake me up with a tag hanging on my door ****, their service sucks.
tippable? or do you mean the tipped employee minimum wage?

*I believe you are incorrect: hotel workers are considered to be tipped employees. Any employee who regularly earns more than $30/month (in Florida) is considered a 'tipped employee," and subject to the regulations below.

FL min wage appears to be $10/hour.

If a waitperson/housekeeper earns less than $10/hour, then the employer must make up the difference. An employer can pay a tipped employee as low as $6.98/hour, but only if the tipped employee earns at least $3.02 more/hour in tips.

Employers are allowed to ask tipped employees to pool tips.

Most states have similar laws.

Lilofan

They're doing more with less. I don't know how it works now but when I did it, I had 16 rooms every day half of which were checkouts, requiring a full room clean. This was before a pandemic with full staffing. I can only imagine the workload they have today with the high turnover and inability to hire.

My CP was housekeeping and it was a miserable experience. I was one of only 3 CPs in a sea of full time housekeepers, we grew close but I did not have the same thrilling experience that my roommates had working in the parks. I toughed it out because I really wanted to work for Disney but I do not have fond memories of my 6 month program.
Unions of cast buy off on this? Different resorts have certain amount of rooms to be completed in one day. 15,16,17 rooms per day . And when I enjoyed the full service clean , the housekeepers pushed their heavy cart in and out the elevator. A few years ago carts I saw went to motorized with a push of a button. How is that doing more with less ? More rooms to clean per day ? Housekeeping is hard work but nothing like the full clean we saw and expected daily in the past.

Last edited:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Unions of cast buy off on this? Different resorts have certain amount of rooms to be completed in one day. 15,16,17 rooms per day . And when I enjoyed the full service clean , the housekeepers pushed their heavy cart in and out the elevator. A few years ago carts I saw went to motorized with a push of a button. How is that doing more with less ? More rooms to clean per day ? Housekeeping is hard work but nothing like the full clean we saw and expected daily in the past.
What I mean by doing more with less is strictly in regards to the # of people. You can have all the bells and whistles in the world, stuff that makes your job a piece of cake, but if you're constantly working in overdrive to meet the demands because the labor isn't there a decrease in quality will happen. Maybe I'm talking out of my backside because it's been a decade since I was in the role.

RememberWhen

What I mean by doing more with less is strictly in regards to the # of people. You can have all the bells and whistles in the world, stuff that makes your job a piece of cake, but if you're constantly working in overdrive to meet the demands because the labor isn't there a decrease in quality will happen. Maybe I'm talking out of my backside because it's been a decade since I was in the role.
I don’t think you’re “talking out your backside.”
I worked housekeeping, though not at Disney, and it’s a hard job. Some days are really slammed and you have to rush to get them all done. Rushing results in lower quality work. If you have fewer people, you’re going to have rushing all the time, even if the rooms aren’t being cleaned at the same level.
Please tip your housekeepers. If you’ve never had the pleasure of cleaning up after a stranger, tip for your good fortune. If you have, tip because you know what it’s like.

Lilofan

I don’t think you’re “talking out your backside.”
I worked housekeeping, though not at Disney, and it’s a hard job. Some days are really slammed and you have to rush to get them all done. Rushing results in lower quality work. If you have fewer people, you’re going to have rushing all the time, even if the rooms aren’t being cleaned at the same level.
Please tip your housekeepers. If you’ve never had the pleasure of cleaning up after a stranger, tip for your good fortune. If you have, tip because you know what it’s like.
A number of years ago, there was an incentive for guests - don’t want your room cleaned ? Get rewarded with merchandise credits? To spend on gifts . Probably work with less staffing if fellow guests take the money and refuse cleaning service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom