Housekeeping door knocking at 8am on check-out days - what's going on?

castlecake2.0

But dontcha know it's their god given right to be nasty Karens to people just trying to do their job?! /sarcasm.

We've had this happen a few times in the past when we forgot to put out the placard. They knocked, we answered & told them when we'd be leaving, and went about enjoying the last few hours in the room. There was no need to berate the CM, storm down to the front desk, or get on Twitter like some petulant brat and whine about "ruined magic."
It’s almost like the world could be a better place if we were all just... nice to each other?

MickeyLuv'r

I'd rather have a clean room at 4:30 than a dirty room at 3:15.

Housekeeping is not a role that should be incentivized to rush, they should be incentivized to do a thorough job.
I once did this job for 1 day - not WDW.

It was just about the worst job I ever had. People can be nasty pigs. I mean the rooms were a nasty mess.
On top of that, housekeepers are treated like dirt by just about everyone.

Where I worked, there were no breaks/no lunch. When you finished all the rooms you could go, but the way the pay worked, if you had just a few rooms to clean, you only got paid for min hours. No matter how nasty/messy the rooms were. The expected pace was only a few minutes per room. It wasn't enough time to do everything that was 'supposed' to be done.
Since we had a lot of rooms to clean, were had to work over 8 hours no breaks, but the pay was only for up to 8 hours.

Hard no. The incentive was not just to rush, but to cut as many corners as possible.

On the other hand, it was a powerful learning experience. Everyone should have to do it for a few days!

Mickey527

IMO, the first line is acceptable. Everything beyond that makes you sound like a petty jerk who the housekeeper will presume won't be leaving a tip no matter what.

-Rob
I stay DVC. Tips are included in the mousekeeping who clean DVC rooms. We were told that when we purchased. But I still leave a tip at checkout if rooms are clean. By the way, we get new towels at day 4 and room cleaning on day 7 if we stay that long. We have vacuums and brooms in our rooms and I use them. I bring garbage to utility room and take off sheets and leave in a pile with towels to make mousekeeping job easier.

RememberWhen

I stay DVC. Tips are included in the mousekeeping who clean DVC rooms. We were told that when we purchased. But I still leave a tip at checkout if rooms are clean. By the way, we get new towels at day 4 and room cleaning on day 7 if we stay that long. We have vacuums and brooms in our rooms and I use them. I bring garbage to utility room and take off sheets and leave in a pile with towels to make mousekeeping job easier.
I’ve never heard that tips are included in the DVC fees… Is that written into the contract somewhere?

nickys

Premium Member
You can now ask for clean towels and replenishment of coffee etc at any time.

Never heard that about housekeeping. We always leave a tip on the days we are scheduled for room service and check-out.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I once did this job for 1 day - not WDW.

It was just about the worst job I ever had. People can be nasty pigs. I mean the rooms were a nasty mess.
On top of that, housekeepers are treated like dirt by just about everyone.

Where I worked, there were no breaks/no lunch. When you finished all the rooms you could go, but the way the pay worked, if you had just a few rooms to clean, you only got paid for min hours. No matter how nasty/messy the rooms were. The expected pace was only a few minutes per room. It wasn't enough time to do everything that was 'supposed' to be done.
Since we had a lot of rooms to clean, were had to work over 8 hours no breaks, but the pay was only for up to 8 hours.

Hard no. The incentive was not just to rush, but to cut as many corners as possible.

On the other hand, it was a powerful learning experience. Everyone should have to do it for a few days!
My first paying job was as a housekeeper. Never again!! It was a humbling experience for me, that's for sure, but the mental and physical toll this job takes on you cannot be overstated!

GuyFawkes

Some do some don't. I waited tables in Times Square and some Europeans were happy to leave their pocket change as a tip for a $200 bill.
Yes they do but all the Europeans on here will say they are wonderful tippers because they know the custom. That equals 10% for a waiter if they tip at all. Not really their fault but is makes me mad when they say that they all tip????? 1 out of 3?????

30 years ago I worked for a hotel straight out of college or it would be University to the Europeans. We had one English family of 7 become toxic waste. They didn't tip so Doormen, Bellmen, Waiters, Bartenders etc. etc. everyone hated these people really quickly. They went in for breakfast hearing the wait staff fight over who was not going to wait on them. End result, they went to the general manager who reached out to ask why everyone hated this family, answer was simple, big family, lots of work no tips. Realize some of the staff in the US make $2.13 an hour, that is the minimum wage for tipped jobs because tips are expected. https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog/payroll/federal-state-tipped-minimum-wage-rates/

End result was general manger gave the English family a list of minimum tips to leave or he can't do anything about their service they get.

Club Cooloholic

Yes they do but all the Europeans on here will say they are wonderful tippers because they know the custom. That equals 10% for a waiter if they tip at all. Not really their fault but is makes me mad when they say that they all tip????? 1 out of 3?????

30 years ago I worked for a hotel straight out of college or it would be University to the Europeans. We had one English family of 7 become toxic waste. They didn't tip so Doormen, Bellmen, Waiters, Bartenders etc. etc. everyone hated these people really quickly. They went in for breakfast hearing the wait staff fight over who was not going to wait on them. End result, they went to the general manager who reached out to ask why everyone hated this family, answer was simple, big family, lots of work no tips. Realize some of the staff in the US make $2.13 an hour, that is the minimum wage for tipped jobs because tips are expected. https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog/payroll/federal-state-tipped-minimum-wage-rates/

End result was general manger gave the English family a list of minimum tips to leave or he can't do anything about their service they get.
That's why I am ok with places having the service charge built in, though I hate it when it's hidden or not mentioned because last time I was in Miami I was usually tipping 20 percent on top of the service tip already included(which meant I was tipping on a bill that included 18 percent already)

nickys

Premium Member
Yeah, things are back to normal on the forum! 😂

I didn’t say we all tip.

You made the generalisation. 🙄

Interesting you mention 10% though, that’s the traditional amount in the U.K.and will often be included in a restaurant bill (check). Maybe hotels and restaurants in the US need to have an explanation of tipping, at the bottom of the menu and in the room. Rather than relying on people having read it somewhere.

Last edited:

James J

In the Parks
No
Or you could not make generalisations, as @nickys said. 10% is indeed the standard here in the UK, but we know that around 20% is the minimum expected in the US for good service.

I completely get that there are European families who don't know the custom and won't tip/will tip too little. You can't paint us all with the same brush though - especially those of us with American wives ;)

MickeyLuv'r

If I am following your post, you are saying the majority of Europeans do not tip in America based on one experience you had 30 years ago with 1 family?

Europe = over 750 million people

Wow!

FYI, I did my time waiting tables and in my experience MANY Americans do not know how to tip. Worse, there is a known list of horror-story customers who behave horribly at just about every establishment. They steal, harass, grope, make nasty comments, or feel entitled to be extremely rude (in some other way) on a regular basis.

Curiously, this commentary is in a thread about housekeeping. Many Americans do not know about tipping housekeeping or bell services either.

Lilofan

If I am following your post, you are saying the majority of Europeans do not tip in America based on one experience you had 30 years ago with 1 family?

Europe = over 750 million people

Wow!

FYI, I did my time waiting tables and in my experience MANY Americans do not know how to tip. Worse, there is a known list of horror-story customers who behave horribly at just about every establishment. They steal, harass, grope, make nasty comments, or feel entitled to be extremely rude (in some other way) on a regular basis.

Curiously, this commentary is in a thread about housekeeping. Many Americans do not know about tipping housekeeping or bell services either.
Some of my Asian friends who are business travelers have a tipping norm. $1 left on top of the pillow each room each day of service. Housekeepers at Fort Wilderness , DVC resorts , perhaps like the leftover food left by departing guests, free goodies!

Hawg G

They got me a few weeks ago. It was just after 8:30 when the pounding began. I was not happy. I told her check out time is eleven, I will be leaving then.
I am not sure why housekeepings work day now trumps a guests ability to enjoy their last morning. Either adjust check out time, adjust the housekeepers schedule or both.
In all my years on this planet, I've found it quite obvious early risers believe the world should revolve around them. If they are up at 8, you should be too. And you better be quiet late at night, you know, like 9 pm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom