PRIDE: Community

PiratesMansion

Annnnd Chapek continues to make things worse in this article from today discussing an internal memo shared to Disney staff:

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Annnnd Chapek continues to make things worse in this article from today discussing an internal memo shared to Disney staff:

We've discussed elsewhere about how inexperienced Chapek is when it comes to running Disney's parks division, but it's also clear he's woefully underprepared to handle any kind of political issues the company may encounter.

He wants Disney to go back to being apolitical, but that's impossible for a company of this size that actively gives money to politicians.

BuddyThomas

I get that, but this really is a huge issue that will affect a ton of people.

It just doesn't feel right that there isn't a place on these boards to discuss it.
Oh, believe me - I agree with you 100%, and so do a lot of other people........but just remember that this is a website where people were not allowed to discuss gay anything until relatively recently. Now we're finally allowed to have a Pride thread, but I think this is just supposed to be about positive things in the LGBTQ community. They do not want politics here at all. As you may know, they used to have a politics thread, and it has now been deleted due to all the fighting. Annnnnnnnnyway...............after saying all that, this is probably a bad idea to post, but since this Pride board is supposed to be about positive things, this seems pretty positive to me:

And that, as they say, is a little bit of progress from the Disney Company. Now I just wonder if this is enough for me to be able to justify going to Gay Disney this year. I was previously one of the people boycotting, but this feels like some progress......

PiratesMansion

Oh, believe me - I agree with you 100%, and so do a lot of other people........but just remember that this is a website where people were not allowed to discuss gay anything until relatively recently. Now we're finally allowed to have a Pride thread, but I think this is just supposed to be about positive things in the LGBTQ community. They do not want politics here at all. As you may know, they used to have a politics thread, and it has now been deleted due to all the fighting. Annnnnnnnnyway...............after saying all that, this is probably a bad idea to post, but since this Pride board is supposed to be about positive things, this seems pretty positive to me:

And that, as they say, is a little bit of progress from the Disney Company. Now I just wonder if this is enough for me to be able to justify going to Gay Disney this year. I was previously one of the people boycotting, but this feels like some progress......
YMMV. For me it is still the absolute minimum amount of what they could/should be doing. I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting more from them. At this point it's too little, too late. Had they been more proactive and vocal, perhaps this bill wouldn't be passing.

We know they can throw their weight around. So why not do it for something actually important like this?

Regrettably, they already have a decent amount of funds from me tied up through gift cards, etc. If they want any more from me once those funds wear out, they need to work harder.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

YMMV. For me it is still the absolute minimum amount of what they could/should be doing. I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting more from them. At this point it's too little, too late. Had they been more proactive and vocal, perhaps this bill wouldn't be passing.

We know they can throw their weight around about. So why not do it for something actually important like this?

Regrettably, they already have a decent amount of funds from me tied up through gift cards, etc. If they want any more from me once those funds wear out, they need to work harder.
I mean, they have just pledged to donate a minimum of 5 Million Dollars "for work to protect the LGBTQ+ community", so that's a good start as far as I'm concerned, if it's true. I agree that it is probably a cynical move to try and placate the gay community due to the massive outrage that their original move created. But 5 Million is 5 Million, and I'm hoping this type of thing continues - not just selling rainbow colored products in the month of June to profit off the community.

Minthorne

Illuminations had an uplifting message that included themes of unity and perseverance.

Just imagine if the new Epcot nighttime spectacular named HarmoniUS had been a Disney effort to embrace their new key and was about diversity, inclusion, and respect between all humans. It would be new, exciting, and a priceless opportunity to share this message with all the guests.

As to the current situation in FL. It’s only a stumble on the journey. We go on. Moving forward now as one.

“With the stillness of the night
There comes a time to understand
To reach out and touch tomorrow
Take the future in our hand
We can see a new horizon
Built on all that we have done
And our dreams begin another
Thousand circles 'round the sun

We go on
To the joy and through the tears
We go on
To discover new frontiers
Moving on
With the current of the years
We go on
Moving forward, now as one
Moving on
With a spirit born to run
Ever on
With each rising sun
To a new day
We go on
We go on”

Animaniac93-98

I mean, they have just pledged to donate a minimum of 5 Million Dollars "for work to protect the LGBTQ+ community", so that's a good start as far as I'm concerned, if it's true. I agree that it is probably a cynical move to try and placate the gay community due to the massive outrage that their original move created. But 5 Million is 5 Million, and I'm hoping this type of thing continues - not just selling rainbow colored products in the month of June to profit off the community.

Human Rights Campaign is actually rejecting money from Disney. Their response? Do better.

Pixar staff are also getting vocal:

"employees of the animation studio allege that Disney corporate executives have demanded cuts from “nearly every moment of overtly gay affection… regardless of when there is protest from both the creative teams and executive leadership at Pixar.”"

Animaniac93-98

I get that, but this really is a huge issue that will affect a ton of people.

It just doesn't feel right that there isn't a place on these boards to discuss it.

It's a story that directly relates to Disney, has been addressed by the company and has gotten a lot of media attention.

If there ever was a LGBTQ+ topic for a Disney-centric forum, this is it.

Having said that, I understand and respect what choices the mods may make.

BuddyThomas

It's a story that directly relates to Disney, has been addressed by the company and has gotten a lot of media attention.

If there ever was a LGBTQ+ topic for a Disney-centric forum, this is it.

Having said that, I understand and respect what choices the mods may make.
The “Bob Chapek’s Response to Don’t Say Gay Bill” thread has just mysteriously reappeared under the Disney Co News area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom