Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

BubbaisSleep

And...
This addition to the park isn't really a Moana feature anyway.
It's more an "inspired by Moana," or a Moana branded feature.
That's how I hope it is, very subtle. Almost how most of Tomorrowland and Epcot attractions used to have sponsorships in the past, I'm hoping Moana is just sponsor that's quite irrelevant to the whole experience itself. Mostly there as a name, which is nothing new to Disney.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Can we agree you just moved the goal post?

What's wrong with *more* water features in Epcot leading to The Seas?
What's wrong with a people-eating theater attraction showing Mickey Mouse shorts in the Imagination pavilion? Nothing's wrong with the first half of this question. But Mickey Mouse shorts in Epcot?

Same applies here. Nothing wrong with a water feature in Epcot, but it's all about IP. Why does it need an IP? Wouldn't it be nice to simply walk through a nice natural landscape in World Nature? Wouldn't like it if it were Lion King either.

Incomudro

That's how I hope it is, very subtle. Almost how most of Tomorrowland and Epcot attractions used to have sponsorships in the past, I'm hoping Moana is just sponsor that's quite irrelevant to the whole experience itself. Mostly there as a name, which is nothing new to Disney.
From what I've gathered - which admittedly isn't much - that's all the "Moana" part is.
The wave like "O" from Moana on one of the rock structures, (perhaps it's back lit at night?) and maybe some other art work or something that hints of the film.

Phicinfan

Yikes, I seem to have touched a nerve. Lots of Moana fans on this forum! Ok, ok, Moana is nice.

But can't we agree this Journey of Water should be in Adventureland? Also, what else besides this are they adding to the parks? A Moana boat ride like Shanghai's Pirates? I wish. Sign me up for that!
Well, it could fit in Adventure land, I would love another water ride - but would prefer it in DHS where it is needed more. That being said, a water "feature" just outside seas leading to it seems a fit, especially if it includes some education on water life and such.

Phicinfan

What's wrong with a people-eating theater attraction showing Mickey Mouse shorts in the Imagination pavilion? Nothing's wrong with the first half of this question. But Mickey Mouse shorts in Epcot?

Same applies here. Nothing wrong with a water feature in Epcot, but it's all about IP. Why does it need an IP? Wouldn't it be nice to simply walk through a nice natural landscape in World Nature? Wouldn't like it if it were Lion King either.
So by your logic we need to....
Move COP from Tomorrowland
Move GotG ride from Epcot
Move Speedway from Tomorrowland
and so on and so on and so on....

There is theater space in Epcot next to Imagination - Mickey shorts fits well, but yes you could put in say some educational stuff about weather or such, in the end its still a theater.

As for Moana, did you see the movie? Did you get how important Water and caring for it and caring for the environment was part of the theme? Sure that might make it a better AK thought, but tied into the Seas where some conservation talk exists fits as well. It really isn't all that much a reach. Would non-IP be better....maybe, but IP is where Disney is right now.

Bocabear

From what I've gathered - which admittedly isn't much - that's all the "Moana" part is.
The wave like "O" from Moana on one of the rock structures, (perhaps it's back lit at night?) and maybe some other art work or something that hints of the film.
If it is that subtle why have it at all? The wave symbol will not add to anyone's enjoyment of the water feature...a backlit symbol will not thrill children...There has to be much more than that or they wouldn't even bother spending the extra money....
I am also baffled at how a walk through fountain area is going to "teach about the importance of the seas"... will it have narration?
Moana wasn't really about the ocean, more that water was a character...it was about being fearless and exploring... Not stealing from the environment... I don't know, a year later and it still doesn't quite make sense...

WDWJoeG

If it is that subtle why have it at all? The wave symbol will not add to anyone's enjoyment of the water feature...a backlit symbol will not thrill children...There has to be much more than that or they wouldn't even bother spending the extra money....
I am also baffled at how a walk through fountain area is going to "teach about the importance of the seas"... will it have narration?
Moana wasn't really about the ocean, more that water was a character...it was about being fearless and exploring... Not stealing from the environment... I don't know, a year later and it still doesn't quite make sense...
And it is just so random vs being part of any cohesive retheme of Epcot as a whole. Why is it there? What is its purpose? And the time, energy, and cost of this will add what true net benefit to the entire park experience?

I wish they were spending every dollar of this to plus up the Land, Seas, or Imagination pavilion. Why put it random new little things when your iconic pavilions sit there and rot? I just don't get the "strategy" at Epcot, I really don't.

Incomudro

Because it's a connection, and I believe that the connection - along with the symbol - will absolutely add some enjoyment for some people.
I'm one of them.
It's an attractive, landscaped, walk through water feature... It makes a lot of sense to me, and makes far more sense than repurposing those buildings would have.
Return it to nature, I say.

Disstevefan1

When, in the 90's or early 00's? Innoventions West had closed in 2015 if you don't remember and at that time, it had been a sad place to visit for many, many years at that point.
Yes by 2015 it was sad. Apparently the writing was already on the wall for innoventions.

Look, I get it, you are defending Disney about Moana, that’s great, you have every right.

I am guessing when the bean counters discussed bull dosing innoventions and putting up Moana they were thinking:
  1. With innoventions gone we don’t need to cool that massive space, we can save money.
  2. Remember how hard ( and costly) it was to create and maintain things in innoventions and how hard it was to get sponsors and we ended up paying for all this cr@p. Damn you World Wide Web!
  3. We can bull dose innoventions and replace it with sidewalks and astroturf and save a lot of money.
  4. Hey, let’s add an IP somehow ( it doesn’t matter which because EPCOT) , but we must keep it low maintenance, very passive, some sort of IP themed walking path.
If we look to the Moana dirt pile it looks like to me this snowballed into something that wasn’t expected, like when you start to renovate a house an really see what’s wrong and needs to be done.

I am sticking to my story and I think they are are secretly fixing a sinkhole 😉

In any event we will (someday) get this very nice Moana walking path; a beautiful place to check my phone.

And yes, Moana is better than nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom