News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

CinematicFusion

In an apparent stand off with The Walt Disney Company, some Florida legislators are meeting to discuss the possibility of removing the Reedy Creek Improvement District and stripping Disney of its semi self government status. This is as Disney says they are working to have a new law struck down passed by the Governor this week.

The 1967 act allowed Disney to create the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the self-described purpose being “to support and administer certain aspects of the economic development and tourism within District boundaries.” The creation of the district means Walt Disney World and other landowners pay for local essential services like water, electricity, fire protection, and emergency medical services instead of local taxpayers.
Disney wanted to play politics and this is what happens. They now get to be like every other business in Florida. Does Comcast have special privileges or was it just Disney.

ParentsOf4

Ironically, Disney wins big time when RCID is removed.
I have read this by several posters. I've even seen people list reasons why (e.g. drop the bond debt on the county, reduced taxes, etc.).

The thing is, if Disney is a big winner with the end of RCID, then why is there already word that Disney intends to fight this in court?

The current statue allows Disney to initialize termination of RCID whenever it wants:

189.072 Dissolution of an independent special district.—​
(1) VOLUNTARY DISSOLUTION.—If the governing body of an independent special district created and operating pursuant to a special act elects, by a majority vote plus one, to dissolve the district, the voluntary dissolution of an independent special district created and operating pursuant to a special act may be effectuated only by the Legislature unless otherwise provided by general law.​

If ending RCID is so great for Disney, then why didn't Disney start this process years ago?

Disney seems to know something the general public is missing.

Last edited:

Married5Times

Mayor Demmings did say that he is opposed to this as well.

of course he is

he(along with his House of Reps wife) with normal traffic lives 7 minutes away just up the Apopka Vineland Rd from WDW's Lake Buena Vista Hotel row entry. He has a horse in the race to keep things status quo.

lazyboy97o

of course he is

he(along with his House of Reps wife) with normal traffic lives 7 minutes away just up the Apopka Vineland Rd from WDW's Lake Buena Vista Hotel row entry. He has a horse in the race to keep things status quo.
Why would he not love all of the new power he gains over Disney? He can push huge new tax increases on Disney to fund his pet projects.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Disney wanted to play politics and this is what happens. They now get to be like every other business in Florida. Does Comcast have special privileges or was it just Disney.
There’s 1,843 other special districts in Florida in addition to Disney. Comcast probably doesn’t have a special district because they have about 500 acres to manage compared to 28,000 that compose Reedy Creek.

Disney Analyst

FFS WDWMagic, stop referring to the bill as "Don't say Gay". The bill has a proper name. Stop embracing the lies of the media. A site like this should only state facts, not promote political opinions/agendas. You disappoint me.

From the words of the owner themselves:

If you don't like my site and reporting, feel free to leave anytime.

Kamikaze

The Colorado governor offered Disney the opportunity to relocate to Colorado. I'm looking forward to watching a parade during a hard Colorado February blizzard. 🥶
I'd love to see an honest to goodness breakdown of the costs it would take to rebuild WDW in Colorado. I think $200 billion wouldn't be enough.

EPCOT-O.G.

Elon's net worth is more than the value of the entire Disney company. Think about that. That includes Marvel, star wars, Pixar... Everything owned by Disney is worth less than the internet's most amusing troll.
Imagine if the price drops to $100, or even $85/share (as it did early in the pandemic).

Prince-1

This site is absolutely ridiculous with it's over-censoring of political discussion, but it's obvious that's it's really only one side that gets censored.

Lol yeah that’s what happens. Only one side get censored. :rolleyes:

1650590204427.gif

FigmentForever96

This has been so completely overblown. Disney cancelled one, single lousy project over disagreements with the City. One. The Eastern Gateway was a disaster of a project and the only one cancelled due to disagreements. The fourth hotel was cancelled over new rules imposed by the minimum wage referendum that the city opposed and didn’t think should apply to the project.

The city also has almost no say in the main area that people think of as the Disneyland Resort. The fourth hotel never went before the city for zoning approval. The new DVC tower did not get zoning approval. Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway didn’t get zoning approval. The changes to Downtown Disney didn’t get zoning approval.
Had to quote your latest post as I’ve seen you ask multiple posters for proof and documents they claim to have and yet they haven’t. Would hate for that to get lost in the mess since so many people have “proof”.

lazyboy97o

Had to quote your latest post as I’ve seen you ask multiple posters for proof and documents they claim to have and yet they haven’t. Would hate for that to get lost in the mess since so many people have “proof”.
I’m not following. What would you like proof regarding? The lack of zoning meetings for Disneyland Resort projects?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom