News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait, wait... You're saying that a certain bald-headed CEO is making yet another misstep? This is unprecedented!!! ;)
The only positive from losing Reedy is it might get El Chapo the gate.

Best case scenario is the “threat” brings someone in to play peacemaker. Unfortunately everyone knows who that is and it isn’t much of a “win” in the short term.

GimpYancIent

So reading the bill text, I think I see the play here. Revoke RCID (giving Desantis the win and final word), then reorganize as a standard CDD under the post 1968 framework. "New" RCID takes on the existing debt and assets, circumventing the issue of the counties absorbing it, but naturally has a lot less power and is no more special than anybody else in the state.

I don't support retaliatory action by the Governor, and I'm not even going to start on the issues that got us here in the first place... but I kinda support this outcome? It puts Disney on a level playing field and they still get the powers they need, and not the ones they don't.
Exactly! "Level Playing Field". B.C. & cronies + minions worked hard / diligently to be just like every one else in the industry and no longer the top tier. Congratulations Disney co.! you are well on your way.

peter11435

Your vagueness point is accurate, but your free speech point is not.

SCOTUS precedent is pretty clear on this.

Public schoolteachers while acting in their capacity as teachers, have pretty close to zero first amendment protection.

Public schoolteachers in their free time have first amendment protection.

University professors, including at state universities, have first amendment protection both on the clock and off the clock.
SCOTUS also has been pretty clear that companies like Disney have a first amendment right to make statements like they did. So any retaliation, which this clearly qualifies as, is a violation of their first amendment rights

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Your vagueness point is accurate, but your free speech point is not.

SCOTUS precedent is pretty clear on this.

Public schoolteachers while acting in their capacity as teachers, have pretty close to zero first amendment protection.

Public schoolteachers in their free time have first amendment protection.

University professors, including at state universities, have first amendment protection both on the clock and off the clock.
Public school teachers have legal protection to do their jobs. Take that to SCOTUS and bring the thunder down on the political landscape…

As Wyatt Earp said “go ahead…skin it. Jerk that smoke wagon and see what happens”

Ultimately..:that law will be struck down. It’s just a matter of time and casualties on the path to it?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Disney should get back to entertaining people and get out of politics. Disney started out as a very conservative company (Walt was conservative) and has become a very liberal company. I see no reason that a family + children’s entertainment company has to be so political.
The positions of what was conservative and liberal have changed since Walt's time, and beyond that, Disney has always been political.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney should get back to entertaining people and get out of politics. Disney started out as a very conservative company (Walt was conservative) and has become a very liberal company. I see no reason that a family + children’s entertainment company has to be so political.
Disney has needed/used political influence since the 1930’s.

You must be talking about another “non-political company”

Good luck finding one

CaptainAmerica

Ultimately..:that law will be struck down.
Probably.

It’s just a matter of time and casualties on the path to it?
some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn-batman.gif

Me. It's me. I'm the men. Who want to watch the world burn.

No Name

They were never a “very conservative company” as they were far more welcoming than your average institution in 1955. They have to be publicly liberal if they’re interested in retaining a majority of their employees and customers. And regardless, there are many in the company who just want to be, for equally valid reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom