News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Brian

Funny how the removal of special districts doesn't include The Villages. :rolleyes:
All of the CDDs in The Villages were established after 1968. It is my understanding that the benchmark of 1968 was set because that date aligns with the ratification of the state constitution. The state constitution addresses special districts.

That being said, do not take this statement to mean that I am under the impression that RCID being subject to this legislation is somehow coincidental.

Last edited:

JohnD

House
House Bill 3C (Special Districts) is being heard by the House State Affairs Committee today at 2:15. There is likely to be a stream. Depends on what is being covered today, though. It could be as simple as convening the committee, introducing the bill, then adjourning. Or there could be more. Will just have to wait and see.

Senate
Senate Bill 4C (Special Districts) is being heard by the Senate Community Affairs Committee today at 2:30.

We haven't even talked about the Social Media bills which remove an exemption carved out for WDW. Will have to research that a little more.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

All of the CDDs in The Villages were established after 1968. It is my understanding that the benchmark of 1968 was set because that date aligns with the ratification of the state constitution. The state constitution addresses special districts.

That being said, do not take this statement to mean that I am under the impression that RCID being subject to this legislation is somehow coincidental.
It’s a ridiculous pretext. The issue of favoring a specific corporation would absolutely apply to The Villages. They went fishing for something that can get them around a unanimous State Supreme Court decision.

AshaNeOmah

I have a feeling that if RCID goes away, Disney will divest its holdings in Florida. Just a feeling, but I think they've been positioning themselves to sell off the parks and hotels in Florida for quite a while.
With all that IP? How on earth could another company possibly wade through the paperwork nightmare of literally owning Pirates of the Caribbean, Cosmic Rewind, Galaxy's Edge, and Avatar? Look at the disaster that the Marvel buyout brought with just the one Universal area.

Would it still be named Walt Disney World?

It's a hot take, for sure, with literally zero chance of that happening. With Paris still failing as Disney the majority owner, they need the Florida properties to float the entire division. A hostile government in Anaheim prevents any further, real expansion there right now.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I have a feeling that if RCID goes away, Disney will divest its holdings in Florida.

Yes, but

sell off the parks

Not these.

and hotels

Possibly these. "Welcome to the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, by Holiday Inn", and "The Pop Century Embassy Suites Hotel"

But realistically, I see them killing off the Lake Nona campus, and move many professional jobs to more business friendly states or to 100% remote, allowing people to leave Florida.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I suggest you re-read the First Amendment of the US Constitution.
I don't see a big clue about RCID in there...

First Amendment​

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Jlasoon

My post on March 12 2022.
------

'Not a hill you want to die on Disney - move along like nothing happened. Those of us who live in Orlando & understand your business dynamics with the state recommend you SU right about now. Florida isn't Cali, never will be.

The Governor can make your life a living nightmare. And its not like you can pack up & leave Florida. Just put your head down & move on. You're in a no win situation'.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Isn’t The Villages also a special district? Why would he announce it there? I feel this is all just a scare/authority tactic. And if it comes to pass and I was in charge I’d move every possible role out of the state that didn’t need to be here.
At the end of the day…this would hurt Florida and the people more than Disney or the companies that profit off them.

This is kindergarten level naivety that is just a public spectacle/ jackhole PR stunt.

Which came from a stunt in the first place.

It’s a dominos: dunce edition

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Possibly these. "Welcome to the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, by Holiday Inn", and "The Pop Century Embassy Suites Hotel"

But realistically, I see them killing off the Lake Nona campus, and move many professional jobs to more business friendly states or to 100% remote, allowing people to leave Florida.

"Welcome to The Motel 6 All-Star Resort!"

With all that IP? How on earth could another company possibly wade through the paperwork nightmare of literally owning Pirates of the Caribbean, Cosmic Rewind, Galaxy's Edge, and Avatar? Look at the disaster that the Marvel buyout brought with just the one Universal area.

Would it still be named Walt Disney World?

It's a hot take, for sure, with literally zero chance of that happening. With Paris still failing as Disney the majority owner, they need the Florida properties to float the entire division. A hostile government in Anaheim prevents any further, real expansion there right now.

Paris is still failing? I must have missed that memo.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Depends on when The Villages was created. Count on amendments which will carve out exemptions. Look for an amendment that exempts the RCID. Also look for that amendment to be blocked.

None of the districts that affect the Villages were created prior to that date.

Here's the only district created in Sumter County prior to that date.

1650381720271.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom