Housekeeping door knocking at 8am on check-out days - what's going on?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe just bad luck, but this happens to me at Satu'li, every time I'm there. CMs continuously asking if they can clear my tray/plates while I'm still eating. 😐

Clearing the table of unneeded or finished pieces is part of the role... often they are unsure if a person is done or just taking a breather from a plate. That's part of good table service, but of course sometimes they can be overbearing.

My jokes were actually part of what wait staff do... like "are you ready for the check?" or checking in about "anything else" because they are elements that are part of their job they can do to help to influence/steer customers. But they are expected to be subtle about it and not be rude or negatively impact the customer experience... while getting what they need.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Clearing the table of unneeded or finished pieces is part of the role... often they are unsure if a person is done or just taking a breather from a plate. That's part of good table service, but of course sometimes they can be overbearing.
I understand good table service. The reason I mentioned what's happened to me at Satu'li is because they've asked me (more than once), if they can clear the table while I'm still actively eating.

Lilofan

up next... the food court staff gonna start cleaning tables while customers are still trying to eat so they can encourage them to leave to increase turnover?

Dining wait staff gonna remind customers they can leave so restaurants can increase turnover?

All open game right??
Food staff at food court are not tipped positions so they don't give two hoots if you linger at the tables. Nice attempt at humor . One might get dirty looks by guests holding their full tray of food looking for a table to sit down in ,

Last edited:

Imhere

I got blasted on another board for this….(they are ding their job, do you expect early check in but won’t let others get it, would you want to do their job, bet you complain if your room is not clean….. I could go on)
But I write a sticky note that says”I will be out of the room by 10 am.
Knock on my door and I will be out at 11. Knock again and I’m asking for late check out. It’s up to you”
No one has tested me
Of all the things that never happened, this probably never happened the most.

Communicora

Premium Member
up next... the food court staff gonna start cleaning tables while customers are still trying to eat so they can encourage them to leave to increase turnover?

Dining wait staff gonna remind customers they can leave so restaurants can increase turnover?

All open game right??
They were already doing this in TS restaurants pre-Pandemic with those people with iPads who hovered around the dining room observing tables.

It certainly didn't feel at all awkward. [sarcasm]

flynnibus

Premium Member
Food staff at food court are not tipped positions so they don't give two hoots if you linger at the tables.

The tipped positions aren’t the ones harboring and encouraging the culture of screw the customer. It is the management above them pushing their metrics and ignoring their now superficial company values.

An over eager waiter is corrected by management when enforcing the correct values. Housekeepers being pushed to turnover rooms at the expense of the customer because of assigned workloads and not being corrected by management is a management problem.

They don’t work on tips either;)

Lilofan

The tipped positions aren’t the ones harboring and encouraging the culture of screw the customer. It is the management above them pushing their metrics and ignoring their now superficial company values.

An over eager waiter is corrected by management when enforcing the correct values. Housekeepers being pushed to turnover rooms at the expense of the customer because of assigned workloads and not being corrected by management is a management problem.

They don’t work on tips either;)
Last time I checked and I have stayed in many hotel rooms on business and pleasure over the years , not just at WDW, is that the work load you are taking about was MORE back in the day, BTW, ( ie Vacuuming carpets, cleaning bathrooms, changing sheets on bed daily ) which the cleaning crews no longer do not do now. How do I know? Seen it with my own eyes while in the hotel room. And something I did not see years ago, the housekeeping push carts are now operated with a push of a button , not like pushing the cart manually. The cleaning crew do an important job but not like what they used to do back in the day. And I do tip the housekeeper - a forgotten idea of some guests.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Last time I checked and I have stayed in many hotel rooms on business and pleasure over the years , not just at WDW, is that the work load you are taking about was more back in the day, BTW, ( ie Vacuuming carpets, cleaning bathrooms, changing sheets on bed daily ) which the cleaning crews no longer do not do now. How do I know? Seen it with my own eyes while in the hotel room.

Assigned workloads doesn't mean what you posted. The people are assigned a list of tasks to complete with a certain amount of time. If workers are diligent in doing their job can't complete those tasks without causing systematic guest disturbances then that is on management to address. And since these hotel managers don't get to control their own staffing levels or PnL... it becomes their next level of management to recognize and adapt... not just tell them to 'make it work'.

While they maybe doing cleaning tasks in the rooms today (your post), they may also be told to be turning over more rooms/hr due to less staff available to cover the same larger pool of work.

When the management tells you why this happen and justifies it... this isn't about an individual worker - This is a casualty of management expectations and choices.

Lilofan

Assigned workloads doesn't mean what you posted. The people are assigned a list of tasks to complete with a certain amount of time. If workers are diligent in doing their job can't complete those tasks without causing systematic guest disturbances then that is on management to address. And since these hotel managers don't get to control their own staffing levels or PnL... it becomes their next level of management to recognize and adapt... not just tell them to 'make it work'.

While they maybe doing cleaning tasks in the rooms today (your post), they may also be told to be turning over more rooms/hr due to less staff available to cover the same larger pool of work.

When the management tells you why this happen and justifies it... this isn't about an individual worker - This is a casualty of management expectations and choices.
What you have described is speculation " may " may ". Unless you have proof there are examples I have poster that cleaning of a hotel room was more intensive on a daily basis before the standard cleaning or lack thereof currently to date.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What you have described is speculation " may " may ". Unless you have proof there are examples I have poster that cleaning of a hotel room was more intensive on a daily basis before the standard cleaning or lack thereof currently to date.
And what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Your statement being factual doesn't mean anything to the discussion WITHOUT the other things.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You are claiming increased workload, don't see it or buy it. Have a good one.

You should re-read - because I never said such a thing. I said
"Housekeepers being pushed to turnover rooms at the expense of the customer because of assigned workloads and not being corrected by management is a management problem."

"If workers are diligent in doing their job can't complete those tasks without causing systematic guest disturbances then that is on management to address"

I never claimed they were being asked to do anything more in cleaning a room (or less). It's a meaningless point in isolation.. what matters in this discussion is what the workers are being expected to complete within certain time milestones. If the workers are having to encroach on the customers (and its being tolerated and or encouraged by management) to get that assignment done -- It doesn't matter if it's more or less.. the expected sum of the total work in the allowed time is the issue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There’s a new feature being added to MDE that will allow you to click when you’ve left the room on checkout day. It’s testing at Riviera and CBR right now.
Unfortunately with these self checkout systems … availability alone isn’t enough to drive usage. Disney needs to provide a carrot or a gating point to help drive usage.

Geo fencing would be an example of where the solution could become more active in checking if the customer has checked out and question them etc.

castlecake2.0

Unfortunately with these self checkout systems … availability alone isn’t enough to drive usage. Disney needs to provide a carrot or a gating point to help drive usage.

Geo fencing would be an example of where the solution could become more active in checking if the customer has checked out and question them etc.
I was thinking the same, curious to see if they add something to encourage guests to use it.

Maybe something like a merchandise discount for day of? Free bar of soap from the trolley? Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom