Housekeeping door knocking at 8am on check-out days - what's going on?

Lilofan

There seems to be a recent practice of knowing on guest room doors a couple of hours before check-out time.

Seeing more and more of this on sisal media.

Housekeepers work a day shift that ends in mid to late afternoon. Does one expect them to hang out on the clock the first several hours of their shift? Don't want go be woken up? Try putting the Do Not Disturb sign on the front door .

castlecake2.0

I’ve never been bothered on checkout morning with the room occupied sign on the door. I think 9am on checkout day is reasonable to check if the guest is still there or not, they’re not trying to rush you, they’re just seeing what rooms they can start. If you’re not ready to go just tell them, doesn’t really need a Twitter post.

Patcheslee

There seems to be a recent practice of knowing on guest room doors a couple of hours before check-out time.

Seeing more and more of this on social media.

We had a knock before 8am in 2017, but since they don't start till 8, I assume someone just being annoying. I just started putting a sticky note telling what time plan to be out of room, never had knocks. Did MDE transports ever tie into the assigned rooms? Say room X has a 9am pickup so the room shouldn't be occupied.

castlecake2.0

We had a knock before 8am in 2017, but since they don't start till 8, I assume someone just being annoying. I just started putting a sticky note telling what time plan to be out of room, never had knocks. Did MDE transports ever tie into the assigned rooms? Say room X has a 9am pickup so the room shouldn't be occupied.
Sticky note is a great idea! There’s also a new feature coming to the app that lets you click when you’ve left the room on checkout day which should help. It’s at CBR and riviera so far.

drizgirl

I would be annoyed if they were knocking on the door w/ a "Do Not Disturb"/"Occupied" sign...but otherwise....they are just trying to do their job.
The first thing they did when this started was replace the “Do not disturb” door hangers with ones that say “room occupied”. My understanding is that is so they make sure to knock first. I don’t think it means they will skip you until later.

This is somewhat related, but anyone know what the deal is with room checks? During a Dec. trip I was getting dressed in my room when there was a knock on my door, when I answered it a CM just barged into my room without asking. I asked her what was going on and she rudely stated a room check. She walked through the room, out to the balcony and then left abruptly. It was really strange.

It happened again on my recent trip staying at the Yacht Club. This time, we were in the park. Our dog was in our room (they are allowed to stay there), and the front desk called us and told us we had to come back so a CM could perform a room check. It was absurd to think a CM was telling us to leave our park day to go to our room so someone could check it.

I’ve been to Disney a million times and have never experienced this before. When we asked the front desk about it, they just said it was standard. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why Disney does this?

BTW, I always put the “Do Not Disturb” sign on my door.

Disney4Lyfe

Hi everyone!

I have read the tweets and the thread, and there seems to be disconnect.

This was not one polite knock and on to the next room.

In the first example they knocked 4x. That is unacceptable.

In the second example the guest was being berated to check out at 8:30. Unacceptable.

A polite knock to see if you are still there? Okay.

Lilofan

Hi everyone!

I have read the tweets and the thread, and there seems to be disconnect.

This was not one polite knock and on to the next room.

In the first example they knocked 4x. That is unacceptable.

In the second example the guest was being berated to check out at 8:30. Unacceptable.

A polite knock to see if you are still there? Okay.
One aspect of a guest checking out early and the housekeeper getting in the room to clean right away is that when we get in early at the resort , at times we can check into our room several hours early than the check in time of 3pm I believe . That's a bonus!

castlecake2.0

This is somewhat related, but anyone know what the deal is with room checks? During a Dec. trip I was getting dressed in my room when there was a knock on my door, when I answered it a CM just barged into my room without asking. I asked her what was going on and she rudely stated a room check. She walked through the room, out to the balcony and then left abruptly. It was really strange.

It happened again on my recent trip staying at the Yacht Club. This time, we were in the park. Our dog was in our room (they are allowed to stay there), and the front desk called us and told us we had to come back so a CM could perform a room check. It was absurd to think a CM was telling us to leave our park day to go to our room so someone could check it.

I’ve been to Disney a million times and have never experienced this before. When we asked the front desk about it, they just said it was standard. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why Disney does this?

BTW, I always put the “Do Not Disturb” sign on my door.
Yes it’s been standard for a few years now, it’s listed in the reservation confirmation. It’s just a check to make sure the room and guests are safe (not to get into details but there have been specific incidents at non Disney hotels that made this policy necessary) though the cast member should be polite about it. You can also call housekeeping from the in room phone to schedule times for the check when you plan to be out of the room. Guests will also notice that Disney no longer has “do not disturb” signs and have been replaced with “room occupied” signs. I’m sorry the cast member was rude though, anytime I’ve had room checks they been quick and courteous.

Yes it’s been standard for a few years now, it’s listed in the reservation confirmation. It’s just a check to make sure the room and guests are safe (not to get into details but there have been specific incidents at non Disney hotels that made this policy necessary) though the cast member should be polite about it. You can also call housekeeping from the in room phone to schedule times for the check when you plan to be out of the room. Guests will also notice that Disney no longer has “do not disturb” signs and have been replaced with “room occupied” signs. I’m sorry the cast member was rude though, anytime I’ve had room checks they been quick and courteous.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess in the past I wasn’t in the room so I never noticed.

Communicora

Premium Member
So the short answer is people were angry on Twitter because they didn’t put the do not disturb sign on the doorman then got disturbed.

I always put the do not disturb on when going to bed and only remove it once we are out for the day and ready for housekeeping.

If you read the tweets, they had the sign on and it was ignored. Multiple times.

I get that the housekeepers are put in a bad spot, but this is not good customer service. People should be raising the issue with management and corporate.

drizgirl

If you read the tweets, they had the sign on and it was ignored. Multiple times.

I get that the housekeepers are put in a bad spot, but this is not good customer service. People should be raising the issue with management and corporate.
But the sign (at least if they are using the one in the rooms now) doesn't say "Do not disturb".

Communicora

Premium Member
But the sign (at least if they are using the one in the rooms now) doesn't say "Do not disturb".
It's still rude to knock on their door and ask when they are going to leave.

Some people on twitter have raised the issue that the hotels used to have more insight into when guests were going to leave because of Magical Express. This could one of the unintended consequences of getting rid of it.

drizgirl

It's still rude to knock on their door and ask when they are going to leave.

Some people on twitter have raised the issue that the hotels used to have more insight into when guests were going to leave because of Magical Express. This could one of the unintended consequences of getting rid of it.
Oh, I'm not arguing that it's not rude. It absolutely is. I'm just saying nobody should be surprised. There is no expectation of privacy. The door knocker is only there to request that they knock before entering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom