What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

• Attraction line system that actually makes the whole experience worse

• Escalating or out of control prices. Nickle & diming the customers

• Replacing favorite rides with IPs

• Removing favorite or beloved attractions

• Reduced entertainment like shows, fireworks, meet & greets, etc.

• Opening new rides with inferior effects

• Hate Disney management

• Overcrowded making it less enjoyable

• Disrepair or poor condition of the parks and rides

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Was the park literally filled to capacity? Probably not. Was there any reservations left for the type of the tickets? Probably.
Nope, but the point is that regardless of that park's capacity, the couple was denied entrance.

I was making the point that there are situations where you had a reservation in one park but for some reason couldn't enter it. You are then barred from going into another park. In my mind, there's no argument that can be made to justify this reservation system as good for the consumer. It reduces our freedom of choice.

Disstevefan1

Nope, but the point is that regardless of that park's capacity, the couple was denied entrance.

I was making the point that there are situations where you had a reservation in one park but for some reason couldn't enter it. You are then barred from going into another park. In my mind, there's no argument that can be made to justify this reservation system as good for the consumer. It reduces our freedom of choice.
I am with you. I absolutely HATE the reservation system!!!! The cast members and their supervisors should be able to help guests who maybe do not understand, or have app issues, connection issues, whatever, especially when you have purchased a ticket to get in!!

In the old days we used to call that customer service..

dreday3

I'm just going to assume the issues with reservations/not being able to change are an annual pass holder issue. Because I'm totally confused.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
You keep saying this but unless the other parks are also filled to capacity,
Well, let me ask you this. Is there any documentation from Disney that states you can enter a park without a reservation? That's really what we're talking about. So far all I've read is that you will be denied entry without a reservation

I don't have all of the answers, and I am making assumptions, but I consider them educated assumptions based on the body of evidence that's been published.

Here's my issue, we as consumers are spending several thousands, that easily can eclipse 10,000 dollars. Do you really want to spend that money at a place that turns you away because you didn't get a park reservation?

Also, (I don't know the answer to this). Is it possible to fail to get a park reservation? Say you realize you messed up, and at 7:00am, the kids want MK instead of HS. Is there a chance (after cancelling the HS park reservation ) that you cannot secure a MK park reservation? To me if you have to make a reservation then there may be situations that you may fail to secure one, but I truly don't know and in all honesty I've not heard of that happening

an annual pass holder issue
I'm late to the thread, but I'm not sure why you're mentioning AP holders, if anything AP holders should have more freedoms to make changes.

dreday3

Well, let me ask you this. Is there any documentation from Disney that states you can enter a park without a reservation? That's really what we're talking about. So far all I've read is that you will be denied entry without a reservation

I don't have all of the answers, and I am making assumptions, but I consider them educated assumptions based on the body of evidence that's been published.

Here's my issue, we as consumers are spending several thousands, that easily can eclipse 10,000 dollars. Do you really want to spend that money at a place that turns you away because you didn't get a park reservation?

Also, (I don't know the answer to this). Is it possible to fail to get a park reservation? Say you realize you messed up, and at 7:00am, the kids want MK instead of HS. Is there a chance (after cancelling the HS park reservation ) that you cannot secure a MK park reservation? To me if you have to make a reservation then there may be situations that you may fail to secure one, but I truly don't know and in all honesty I've not heard of that happening

I'm late to the thread, but I'm not sure why you're mentioning AP holders, if anything AP holders should have more freedoms to make changes.

So the problem is that's what you are talking about, but not what I'm talking about. 😂

No, you can't get into a park without a reservation, even with a ticket. But unless park is sold out - which may be the case more often with Disneyland - you can make a reservation that morning, right?

I'm saying if you have a park reservation already, you can change the reservation day of as long as other parks have availability - and obviously if you didn't already tap in at the previously reserved park.
I thought you were saying you can't do that anymore. And we've done it before, so that's why I thought maybe AP holders didn't have that capability.
And my original post about this was expressing how -for us - it's basically the same as having to make fast pass +. Both systems had us tied to a park. But in my eyes, fast pass + was more difficult to change parks day of because you lost the fast pass and a lot of time ones at the other park weren't available! At least that doesn't happen when changing a park reservation day of.

misunderstanding.

(now today for example would NOT be a good day to be spontaneous. Looks like some parks are at capacity for next couple weeks, most likely due to Spring Break)

Last edited:

Tuvalu

I don't know about AP holders, but no reservation, no entry
Elderly Couple Tragically Denied Entrance To Disney Park
This was at Disneyland, not WDW. And I agree with @Pepper's Ghost, the clickbait headline is overly dramatic.

That said, it is unfortunate people do not understand the necessity of making a park reservation (something I also disdain, BTW) prior to showing up at the gate. But the policy is clearly stated before tickets can be purchased.

Capacity restrictions have been increased and the likelihood of being “shut out” of a park at the last minute are not common. But even if the preferred park is unavailable, there are other parks that the guest may visit. (Epcot is always available.)

I have an AP, but I am not local. I have had no difficulties in getting park reservations for the park I desire. I have read reports of local APers who say the same.

I am not defending Disney. I too hate the loss of flexibility and the need to make park reservations. But it is what it is, and those who don’t like it should take their dollars elsewhere.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
This was at Disneyland, not WDW. And I agree with @Pepper's Ghost, the clickbait headline is overly dramatic.
There's no doubt its click bait, BUT you cannot deny that while it is at Disneyland, its the same owner, and having the same policy. Its hard to imagine that they would institute a reservation system across their parks (east cost/west cost) but permit people in WDW to enter w/o a reservation but not disneyland ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To put it another way, a reservation system to allow entry, implies that without said reservation you will be denied entry and so far I provided evidence of just that occurrence.

WishIWasRetired

So the problem is that's what you are talking about, but not what I'm talking about. 😂

No, you can't get into a park without a reservation, even with a ticket. But unless park is sold out - which may be the case more often with Disneyland - you can make a reservation that morning, right?

I'm saying if you have a park reservation already, you can change the reservation day of as long as other parks have availability - and obviously if you didn't already tap in at the previously reserved park.
I thought you were saying you can't do that anymore. And we've done it before, so that's why I thought maybe AP holders didn't have that capability.
And my original post about this was expressing how -for us - it's basically the same as having to make fast pass +. Both systems had us tied to a park. But in my eyes, fast pass + was more difficult to change parks day of because you lost the fast pass and a lot of time ones at the other park weren't available! At least that doesn't happen when changing a park reservation day of.

misunderstanding.

(now today for example would NOT be a good day to be spontaneous. Looks like some parks are at capacity for next couple weeks, most likely due to Spring Break)
What they should do is allow you to switch your park reservation to another park as long as the other park has availability instead of having to cancel your current reservation then try to get a new park reservation.

dreday3

There's no doubt its click bait, BUT you cannot deny that while it is at Disneyland, its the same owner, and having the same policy. Its hard to imagine that they would institute a reservation system across their parks (east cost/west cost) but permit people in WDW to enter w/o a reservation but not disneyland ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To put it another way, a reservation system to allow entry, implies that without said reservation you will be denied entry and so far I provided evidence of just that occurrence.

No one has disputed that you can't enter a park without a reservation though...

Weather_Lady

So I hear everyone complaining about the park reservations and how you have to plan ahead what park you're going to be in. Didn't we all have to do that back when we were using (and "loving" FP+)?? You had to make your selections for every day for the parks you wanted to be in so I'm not sure what the angst is about? Park reservations don't necessarily bother me; the park hopping at 2pm is somewhat annoying to me (we generally hop later in the afternoon anyway) but can definitely see how it does impact other guests. And I wholeheartedly agree that genie needs to be trashed!!!

One thing I miss is getting the mailers from Disney saying, "Smith family, we miss you, here's a special code for $___ off your next stay with us!" Haven't got one of those in years 😩
I think it depends on how one used the old system. We rarely planned ahead as to what park we'd start our day. Sometimes we'd just decide to hop on the first park bus that pulled up to the hotel!

More specifically, my family would often make our FP+ in the park where we planned to have lunch or even dinner -- and then we'd rope drop a different park, maybe one with morning EMH, maybe not. We'd hit all its headliners and do anything else we wanted - maybe even go to a second park - knowing that long lines would be less of an issue later in the day because we had those FP+ waiting for us at the lunch/dinner park. The World was our oyster, and if we didn't make it to our FP+ or wanted to change them, we could, and never had to spend a single extra penny for the privilege. Nor did we ever resent standing in standby lines with FP+ guests breezing past us, because we knew they had the same 3-FP+ entitlement we did, built right into their ticket. (Granted, we loved it even more when WDW went standby-only after COVID, but the park reservations and hopping limitations still really chafed our buns...)

Now it just feels like Disney is a manipulative romantic partner -- a borderline abusive one, who demands that we tell them where we're going to be every minute of the day, controls where we're allowed to go and when, demands that we incessantly make plans with them (for which we'll be punished if we're late or don't show up), but is incredibly expensive, unreliable, and dismissive in return. ;)

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

Now it just feels like Disney is an unreasonably needy romantic partner, who demands that we tell them where we're going to be every minute of the day, controls where we're allowed to go and when, demands that we incessantly make plans with them (for which we'll be punished if we're late or don't show up), but is incredibly expensive, unreliable, unfaithful, and inconsiderate in return. ;)
nope-adventure-time.gif

KBLovedDisney

Now it just feels like Disney is a manipulative romantic partner -- a borderline abusive one, who demands that we tell them where we're going to be every minute of the day, controls where we're allowed to go and when, demands that we incessantly make plans with them (for which we'll be punished if we're late or don't show up), but is incredibly expensive, unreliable, and dismissive in return. ;)
Borderline abusive? That is straight up toxic!

Weather_Lady

Borderline abusive? That is straight up toxic!
You mean the comment was toxic? Or the Disney relationship?

I realize it's an overly dramatic analogy, and I don't mean to make light of unhealthy relationships, but the essential question asked by this thread, and the other recent ones like it, reminded me of those who'd ask of an abused friend, "When they started treating you like that, why didn't you just leave? Why do you keep going back when they make you feel like this?" The answers - even for Disney fans struggling to break ties - are complicated.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
So, what I'm gathering after reading the last dozen plus posts is that the process, system, and whole planning experience is WAY TOO CONFUSING! That's exactly the point I've made over and over. 🤣 TOO COMPLICATED! The process was so easy in the past, and they've made it way too difficult to have "fun" even though it's not going to be nearly as good as it was 15 years ago. What kind of company keeps making "improvements" to make the experience exceedingly worse than it once was?? Just the chance that you can book tickets, hotel, airfare, etc., etc. and get there having failed to book the reservation part could cost you $10k for a very expensive Disney hotel and no parks is criminal.

It's crazy what is happening. It's even crazier that we all participate in it.
No offense to anyone, but crazier that any of you are participating in it. Speaking only for myself, I won't return until they simplify and improve the process and entire experience. That could mean that I never give Disney another dime the rest of my life, but that's not just my problem. That's their problem too, assuming I won't be the only one in that assertion. Sure, there are plenty of folks who will give them their money, but over the rest of my lifetime, I was likely to spend $80k-$100k in regular return trips if not more. That's money they will never see... multiplied by whoever else makes that decision. Again, that's assuming no improvements to the process are made. I'm guessing Universal would be happy to take my money.

Bingo. Any scenario that allows you to spend a ton of money for a Disney trip, and not get into the parks again is criminal. It's basically stealing from the general public. Over-complicate the process so no one really understands, and then take at least some of people's money when they fail to get into the parks. No thanks. I'll spend elsewhere.
What they should do is allow you to switch your park reservation to another park as long as the other park has availability instead of having to cancel your current reservation then try to get a new park reservation.
What they should do is eliminate the park reservation system completely.

Sorry for the seemingly angry rant, all. The "tragic" story of the old couple who were denied without resolution is really getting to me. :mad:🤣

Disstevefan1

So (for whatever reason) the folks did not have a park pass reservation and they cant enter the park. Do they get refunded for the ticket or a credit toward a ticket for another day?

KBLovedDisney

You mean the comment was toxic? Or the Disney relationship?

I realize it's an overly dramatic analogy, and I don't mean to make light of unhealthy relationships, but the essential question asked by this thread, and the other recent ones like it, reminded me of those who'd ask of an abused friend, "When they started treating you like that, why didn't you just leave? Why do you keep going back when they make you feel like this?" The answers - even for Disney fans struggling to break ties - are complicated.
The relationship, I've been on the receiving(or I guess enabling) end of that kind of relationship at one point (without my consent) and it is straight up toxic to boot!

Oh man that puts it in a completely new perspective for me though. Yes, it is VERY complicated because you are a 'Happiness Hoarder' in the relationship, you grasp at the good stuff no matter how small the good stuff is versus facing the overwhelming long list of BAD stuff with thoughts like "Well, they (the place) was good when it was like that...so it IS good now" and you easily fool yourself into believing that it is still good of a relationship and ignoring red flags...

scared queen elsa GIF

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

The relationship, I've been on the receiving(or I guess enabling) end of that kind of relationship at one point (without my consent) and it is straight up toxic to boot!

Oh man that puts it in a completely new perspective for me though. Yes, it is VERY complicated because you are a 'Happiness Hoarder' in the relationship, you grasp at the good stuff no matter how small the good stuff is versus facing the overwhelming long list of BAD stuff with thoughts like "Well, they (the place) was good when it was like that...so it IS good now" and you easily fool yourself into believing that it is still good of a relationship and ignoring red flags...

scared queen elsa GIF
"you grasp at the good stuff no matter how small the good stuff is versus facing the overwhelming long list of BAD stuff"
😭 😭 why did you drag this out of me!!! 😭 😭 YOU ARE RIGHT! My relationship with WDW is toxic!!! 😭
But thanks for helping me see the light.... 😭 sniff..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom