What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

• Attraction line system that actually makes the whole experience worse

• Escalating or out of control prices. Nickle & diming the customers

• Replacing favorite rides with IPs

• Removing favorite or beloved attractions

• Reduced entertainment like shows, fireworks, meet & greets, etc.

• Opening new rides with inferior effects

• Hate Disney management

• Overcrowded making it less enjoyable

• Disrepair or poor condition of the parks and rides

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

WDWJoeG

I believe this will be the case with many of the diehards, including those on these boards. Although it doesn't speak as loudly as those who don't like the changes and won't visit, it does send a message. It really comes down to numbers. Not sure about the figures for the entire resort, but I recall that in 2019 (pre-covid), MK had attendance of approximately 21M visitors. If those who decide not to go anymore mixed with those who reduce visits takes that down 10% or 20%, you're talking about sending Disney a huge message.

I'd never expect anyone to not go to Disney based on my opinions obviously, but those who choose to continue to go regularly or without change to frequency, you're telling Disney with your dollars that their choices are perfectly acceptable and they're on the right track. No one who is unhappy with Disney's decisions should visit and then expect any changes to processes or policies. That'd be like buying another Sams&ng dryer after complaining for the last 4 years that your brand new Sams&ng dryer has required 7 repairs. I know, I know... awfully specific example, right? Yep, I'll never buy another Sams&ng home appliance the rest of my life. Love their cell phones though, so go figure. 🤣
Yup. It's the fallacy that "my dollars aren't the problem, it's everybody else that's still going".

Every penny you spend is literally investing in their current strategy.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Just remember, every single time you go and spend money you are telling management that you support what they are doing and simply reinforcing their strategy.

Customers can only blame themselves.

True. But everybody spends money with companies/on things that are counter to their held opinions/beliefs. You can look at the Apple's, Nike's, Hollywood's of the world. If the calculus was that I wasn't going to spend with any that I had a difference of opinions/beliefs with - I'd be living a very sheltered life. Instead, I chose to pick the ways I spend.

In the Disney case, sure, I still go. Fork over my cash for my AP. From there though it becomes more discretionary. I'm not required to eat at their restaurants, not required to buy their merchandise, not mandated to stay at their hotels. Not to say that I never do those things. But I do them infrequently. In short, I'm not the type of guest Disney looks favorably upon.

WDWJoeG

True. But everybody spends money with companies/on things that are counter to their held opinions/beliefs. You can look at the Apple's, Nike's, Hollywood's of the world. If the calculus was that I wasn't going to spend with any that I had a difference of opinions/beliefs with - I'd be living a very sheltered life. Instead, I chose to pick the ways I spend.

In the Disney case, sure, I still go. Fork over my cash for my AP. From there though it becomes more discretionary. I'm not required to eat at their restaurants, not required to buy their merchandise, not mandated to stay at their hotels. Not to say that I never do those things. But I do them infrequently. In short, I'm not the type of guest Disney looks favorably upon.
And that's your choice. There are brands that have made decisions (political, social, etc) or have changed their products, quality, etc. and I actively work to never give them a penny again.

Will it force them to change? No, but I'm not part of the problem. And if I do have to spend on that product or brand (only choice, etc), I have the self-awareness to know I am actively supporting them.

Of all things imaginable, a Disney theme park is the easiest thing to do without and an simple message to send, but people will continue to rationalize their click through the turnstile and dollars spent is some sort of protest vote, when it is, of course. the exact opposite.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster

With respect of course, you are Disney's worst customer. 🤣 APs who live locally don't spend money (or very little) on all those high margin products like hotels, food, merch, etc. and Disney doesn't want you. 🤣 Just kidding about the last part, but they have made it clear they want less of you. They do need APs for the steady source of assured income, but their real bread and butter is those who spend on their high margin products.

Regarding speaking with your dollars, it really depends on what you're talking about. If you love the products of the Apple's, Nike's, and the Samsungs of the world, and you purchase them in spite of whatever their political/social views are, to me that's acceptable. I'm sure I spend money on certain brands not knowing those views and quite frankly that doesn't matter to me quite as much. If you send a message by refusing to spend money on products you like due to social disagreements, then I have a tremendous amount of respect for that moral stance. With the case of Disney though, the disapproval of so many in this thread and across the forum is that it's their product that's the problem. Not necessarily their political or social views. (Let's please not discuss those social disagreements here.) So if one decides to continue to spend money on an inferior product (if that's your opinion), then it's partially your fault if they don't change to improve that product. I don't know why anyone would spend so much money if they're unhappy with the product and know it going in. If you're not unhappy with the product, I have no issue with that. It's just a difference of opinion. For those saying they will go less, I read into it that you're kind of unhappy about it, but not terribly unhappy. Again, there's nothing wrong with that.

WDWJoeG

Not sure I'm following that.
Meaning that if even though I try to avoid it and for some reason I have to (job requirement, only available option, etc) I am self-aware enough that I have just reinforced that management's decisions and am part of the problem.

Chi84

Premium Member
Meaning that if even though I try to avoid it and for some reason I have to (job requirement, only available option, etc) I am self-aware enough that I have just reinforced that management's decisions and am part of the problem.
So it’s okay to go as long as you have no choice and feel guilty/bad about it?

Por-Favor-Manténgase

We have been going at least once a year since 2000. I'm officially done with the one or two trips a year. Just got back from a two-week trip. I assumed there would be some differences with our first trip post-Covid. But things are very different from my point of view. The current vibe to me is that of a higher-class, more expensive Six Flags. And let me say first, that I'm a Six Flags Diamond Passholder at Great Adventure and go a few times a week during the season. I've never expected Disney to be "affordable" but for what I paid, and what I feel I received, I wish I had gone elsewhere. (We did do one day at Uni for the first time which was much more enjoyable to me.)
  • Park reservations are a joke. It's not about making the guest experience better. It's about having the knowledge to schedule as few cast members as possible, no more ride vehicles in service than need be, deciding to only have one ferry boat at Magic Kingdom running instead of two at closing.
  • Paid Fastpass is a joke. I didn't bite, but those I talked to while waiting in lines all complained about the lack of times available for anything except the rides you don't need it for anyway. Plus what kind of perk is waking up at 7am while on vacation to frantically make your reservations. Let me make them at 7pm the night before and then we'll talk. If you're off property and starting at 9am, good luck getting anything remotely desirable. If you're going to pull a Six Flags move and charge a premium, then go all-in. Charge a ridiculous amount, and go to the front of the line on every ride once.
  • The wait times are even more of a joke. I truly believe the times are being artificially inflated to get people to buy the paid Fastpass. Being there 2 weeks, we did wait in line for every ride. The only ride we did not go on was Tower of Terror. Of that, only 4 rides had a wait time that was accurate, or slightly over. Splash Mountain, Rockin Rollercoaster, Flight of Passage and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railroad. The rest were all overstated. Some grossly. Space Mountain posted 60, waited 17. Millenium Falcon posted 30, walked right on. Rise of the Resistance posted 110, waited 45. I could go on and on. I don't know how they are estimating the wait time. You don't see the cast members handing out the red cards that used to measure how long that guest waited.
  • Quick Service food portion sizes are ridiculously small. I shouldn't be hungry still after paying $14 for Macaroni and Cheese topped with pulled pork on top at Flame Tree. I literally went and bought a sandwich directly afterwards I was still so hungry. I think the taste and creativity for theme park food is still good. Especially after comparing what Six Flags offers with our meal plan. But these portion sizes are like appetizers any more.
  • Penny pinching measures like not including lids on fountain drink cups drives me insane. They claim it's going green. If that's the case then why do they still have them at the hotels? Because they don't want you spilling your drink on the hotel floor. That would entail having to pay someone to clean it up. Spill your cup while walking around a theme park, oh well. Head back in and buy another fill. Why are lids taboo, but single serve forks, spoons etc. is A-OK.
  • I feel for the cast members. They are clearly overwhelmed. I never remember a trip where we encountered so many cast members who seem like they could care less. I can sum my interactions up in one phrase: "Hurry up and wait, don't stand or sit there." That's all you heard. I literally could not believe it when a cast member was hollering in a woman's face not to sit on the concrete surrounding one of the People Mover supports. The area was flooded with rain water and she's trying to keep her kid's feet dry. This was at a location that if it wasn't raining no one would have cared less if she was sitting there. I informed Guest Services about this one because it was that outrageous. Safety is one thing, lack of common sense and rudeness are another.
  • And while w're talking about water and how guest safety is supposed to be priority #1, why is it they can figure out how to drain a swamp to build a theme park, but can't figure how put some drains on the walkways in Epcot? Walking from World Showcase to the park exit du-jour there were at least 4 areas with near knee-high water to wade through. The rain was done at this point, and there was not a cast member to be seen to help anyone. I'm talking about people in wheel chairs, elderly people with canes, and yes a man with a prosthetic leg. Any other time around park closing you'd have 18 cast members yelling at you to keep moving, don't stand outside the tape on the ground, don't sit there, etc. I ended up letting a Guest Service cast member know about this on the way out and her excuse was that "cast members can't go outside in the rain when the parks are 101'ed." I let her know that it hasn't been raining for a half-hour, while she was standing nice and dry under the cover of the turnstiles.
  • The new night time shows are sad. I was really excited about Harmonious, that is until I saw it. It's a bunch of floating TV screens dressed up with Christmas lights and garden hoses shooting water. Not even an original soundtrack, just rehashed songs from a movie. I would take Illuminations any day. Why they couldn't have spent some money beefing up the globe sequence is beyond me. Magic Kingdom's fireworks....I mean projection show with sparklers isn't much better. At least it had some elements of an original soundtrack. Both shows just lack so much of what previous iterations had.
  • Finally, all the Covid ironies. You can't get your picture taken with Mickey, but they have no problem packing you in like sardines yelling at you to keep up with the party in front you and fill in all available space. No pictures with face characters either, but no one is worried about the cast member at the entrance to a ride. They probably have 20,000 people walk by them in a day on a ride with a 3,000 person-per-hour capacity. Same thing with character meals, Mickey can wave from afar, but it's OK for your server to be running around pouring coffee to you and everyone else. Can't have those trams running in the parking lot either, but everyone make sure to fill up that bus to the hotel. It just seems like a bunch of little excuses to save a buck and disguise as a health protocol while hoping no one puts two-and-two together.
  • Please stop moving my stroller, especially in a torrential downpour. It was loads of fun walking around soaking wet to find it. (Please reference previous comment about cast members not being allowed out in the rain???) Why do I have to walk all the way down behind Main St, and then back up the other side to go to Tomorrowland during the fireworks? There was a wide open path across the hub with 40 cast members holding flashlights. By the time we got to backup the other side of Main St., the show was over anyway and now you're bombarded walking against the crowd. With all this money coming in maybe Disney can invest in some common sense.
I've said I would stop going when I was no longer having fun. I've reached that point. It's been building over the years with little things like charging to park at the hotels. All of the cash grabs just because everyone else is doing it is just too much. Those are the things that used to separate Disney from its competition. That's why the premium was worth it. They were different. The premium paid is just not worth it to me. With that said, I'm looking forward to Six Flags' opening day on April 2 where all 4 of us will be with no advance park reservation required, my unlimited soft drink refills, two meals, one snack per-person, and 2 front of the line passes. All for $70 per month total.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Plus what kind of perk is waking up at 7am while on vacation to frantically make your reservations
Aptly put. You're on vacation, not everyone wants to wake up at the crack of dawn, especially after the prior day was full of walking/waiting and what not.
Quick Service food portion sizes are ridiculously small.
I've been reading how the prices have gone up and the portions gone down - so disappointing.

Finally, all the Covid ironies. You can't get your picture taken with Mickey, but they have no problem packing you in like sardines yelling at you to keep up with the party in front you and fill in all available space
That's the issue I'm having to wrap my brain around. It makes no sense. Take the removal of fast passes in 2020. Why create long lines where people are in close proximity for long periods of time? The very thing that experts said to avoid.

dreday3

The only complaint that I'm surprised about is the amount of hate park reservations get.

They made no difference in our planning, at all. It was pretty much the same as fast pass plus. Once we made those harder to get fast passes, we were locked into that park for that day. Of course we could always change parks while actually on the trip. Just lose the fast pass for a hard to get ride.

We experienced the park pass reservation system the same way. We could change our reservations that morning if we wanted to. But this time we wouldn't lose a fast pass over it.

If you are going during a time where the parks are sold out (holiday weekends, ride openings, etc.), that's hard to switch and I can see that being a tough time to have any spontaneity. But otherwise they don't bother me?

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

The only complaint that I'm surprised about is the amount of hate park reservations get.

They made no difference in our planning, at all. It was pretty much the same as fast pass plus. Once we made those harder to get fast passes, we were locked into that park for that day. Of course we could always change parks while actually on the trip. Just lose the fast pass for a hard to get ride.

We experienced the park pass reservation system the same way. We could change our reservations that morning if we wanted to. But this time we wouldn't lose a fast pass over it.

If you are going during a time where the parks are sold out, that's hard to switch. But otherwise they don't bother me?
I really hate the park pass reservation system.

For over a decade prior to the pandemic , I purchased Platinum WDW APs for my family, I paid extra over the other passes for the peace in mind there are NO BLACKOUTS, understanding there may be a handful of days per year, a park (usually MK) could be closed for capacity. We knew to stay away on those days.

It was great to be able to decide on a moments notice to go to any park, no looking at a app, no trying to get a reservation, nothing, just show up and we are in.

Did we get the most out of our APs, I did not care, I just liked the freedom.

At the moment as we know, there is no such a thing as the Platinum WDW AP but if there was, its value is automatically reduced by the park pass reservation system.

I get it, WDW does not want APers, so they must kill the value of the APs..

Last edited:

dreday3

I really hate the park pass reservation system.

For over a decade prior to the , I purchased Platinum WDW APs for my family, I paid extra over the other passes for the peace in mind there are NO BLACKOUTS, understanding there may be a handful of days per year, a park (usually MK) could be closed for capacity. We knew to stay away on those days.

It was great to be able to decide on a moments notice to go to any park, no looking at a app, no trying to get a reservation, nothing, just show up and we are in.

Did we get the most out of our APs, I did not care, I just liked the freedom.

At the moment as we know, there is no such a thing as the Platinum WDW AP but if there was, its value is automatically reduced by the park pass reservation system.

I get it, WDW does not want APers, so they must kill the value of the APs..

Yes, I always forget about any other type of visitor besides resort guests! 😂
I imagine with an AP it is frustrating. I can see why you wouldn't like the reservation system.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Yes, I always forget about any other type of visitor besides resort guests! 😂
I imagine with an AP it is frustrating. I can see why you wouldn't like the reservation system.
Don't feel bad. Disney forgets about AP guests too. If they can't bother to remember them, no one would expect anyone else to.

dreday3

The hate for me is that removes the ability to be spontaneous or even contingency. Say MK is at capacity, and they wont let you in, you're SOL. You can't go to another park .

Even if the other parks have availability? Is that rule just for AP holders? That's ridiculous!

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
I don't know about AP holders, but no reservation, no entry
Elderly Couple Tragically Denied Entrance To Disney Park
"Tragically"? While I agree that the policy sucks, and it's awful that the older couple was turned away. They should've figured a way to accommodate them IMO. However, the word "tragically" is really badly used. What's happening in Ukraine is tragic... not people being turned a way from an amusement park. 🤣 A little melodramatic of the author maybe?

Wilbret

Six Flags pass holder here, too. I have lost count, but it's close to 20 years. They aren't perfect, but it's hard to complain about it when I can get a pass for $40-70 bucks, depending on the year. They didn't even charge us for 2021. 2022 renewed for $39.99. All the coasters are open, too. :)

SeaWorld treats passholders like they matter, we have thoroughly enjoyed ours.

7am race to the app is a joke. Login and refresh and refresh, and within microseconds, you are left with junk to choose from. And the bonus, your choice is broken down when it is time to ride... lol.

I hate the reservations, as well. Look, I get there are planners that love it. I think most of us here plan, but who hasn't been on a trip where people changed their minds? We have tweaked plans in the past upon arrival, what if you decide you would prefer to go to HS instead of AK on a certain day, for whatever reason? Well, you can just buy the more expensive ticket and go to any park after 2pm... lol.

It's crazy what is happening. It's even crazier that we all participate in it.

Okay, off to book my next trip.

Disstevefan1

I don't know about AP holders, but no reservation, no entry
Elderly Couple Tragically Denied Entrance To Disney Park
Was the park literally filled to capacity? Probably not. Was there any reservations left for the type of the tickets? Probably.

It's too bad the cast members do not feel empowered enough to try to help their guests and provide a good guest experience; take them off to the side and see if there could be a park pass reservation made, perhaps involve a supervisor.

Nope. Scan the passes and look for the correct colored light. Next guest please. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom