working out for Disney

Sans Souci

How in the world is that a COMEDY!! There is nothing funny about exploitation or assault of minors. That is disgusting!!

I had never heard of Turning Red until we watched it last night. A friend of mine posted something on the book of Face, about generational trauma, parents living vicariously through their children, expecting high achievement, etc and I related to that and commented on it, and I mentioned the song in Encanto about Pressure, feeling worthless if you can't do it all, etc. And she asked if I had seen Turning Red, which I hadn't even heard of. She said Disney is tackling a lot of that generational trauma these days, and I asked E if she had heard of it and she got all excited and was like "OH!!! Is it the 11th??" I said it was the 12th, and she said that it was out now, so we watched it. It was cute....not nearly as good as encanto, but it was fun.

I have no idea, but I have the feeling this film culminated in this jerk's comeuppance. He was a really odious character and I don't think there was a redemption arc for him. I also didn't like that this film was set in an economically depressed town where the only place to work was an oil refinery. I think they cast locals, because a lot of people in the film had missing teeth and seemed to be in poor health. I felt like this film used them for laughs at their expense. It won some sort of award at the Cannes Film Festival last year. I mean, technically, it was a good film. The acting was really good, but thinking it was a good idea to use that sort of 'device' to further story is questionable.

I still haven't watched Turning Red yet. I think I'll save it for the weekend.

Sans Souci

That's what we're thinking. Obviously she didn't have covid for 2 weeks before she tested positive, and she does have a tendency to get sick every vacation. She's just like me....I go go go and then when I finally have a break, my body sighs in relief and my immune system crashes allowing every germ within 100 miles to attack it. So she got the sore throat 2 days before the spring break. I kept her home on that Thursday and Friday, thinking it was probably covid, but she kept testing negative. All through the break, we tested and she was negative. So the Saturday before she went back to school, she was still negative, and she said the sore throat was almost gone, so we went to the zoo thinking she was fine. Then Monday evening, she started feeling really run down and her throat felt a little iffy again, Tuesday it was back with a vengeance, though now we know it wasn't the same sore throat. So either she caught covid at the zoo on Saturday, or at school on Monday. I'm thinking her immune system was already low because of the sore throat she was recovering from, so she probably got it at the zoo on Saturday. And I am boostered, so I didn't catch it at the zoo even though we were together the whole time, so we encountered the same people. It wasn't until SHE was contagious and I was around her for hours that my immune system cratered. My husband was still negative as of this morning and has no symptoms. A already isolates...he only comes out of his room for school, tennis, chess, and food, so hopefully he won't catch it. When we went to the zoo, he was only there for the first couple of hours before he got frustrated and my husband ended up having to leave with him. E and I were at the zoo the whole day.

When my FIL and BIL had it, my MIL never caught it, and that was before she had the booster. My husband seems to take after his mom a lot, and he has been boostered, so hopefully he won't catch it. The email I got says I'm supposed to go into isolation, meaning I stay in the bedroom alone. Obviously, since E has it too, we don't have to isolate from each other, but there's no way my husband is going to sleep on the couch. We haven't spent much time together in the last few days...either I'm downstairs watching stuff with E, or I'm upstairs and he's downstairs watching stuff on the TV. The only time we're together is to sleep. So we'll see if his immune system holds up.
It's kind of weird that some people never catch this when it goes through a house. My husband works with a few people where one person came away unscathed from it. There was an article about that last week. They are trying to figure out why some people, despite being in close contact with someone with covid, never caught it.

Sans Souci

After I posted yesterday, I got the official word from the doctor that I am free to exercise/bike, swim/bathe, and go without bandaging. Obviously, they want me to take it slow at first and some of this feels really strange after months of restrictions, but it's pretty awesome to be free. Barring any unforeseen issues, I have one last check in next week and then I'm free until my summer follow up.

I blended physical activity around the house and working out today. Cleaning parts of the house and the car can be pretty physically taxing, but I probably spent a good 3-4 hours on stuff like that. This afternoon, it was another 30 minutes on the bike (7.55 miles), a 10 minutes arm workout with some stretching, and a weighted set on the twist plate.

This is good news. :)

What is a twist plate? I am googling and I am coming up with all sorts of different equipment. Some are wobble boards, some are things you stand on and twist and rocker boards.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did a strength workout that used a kettle bell instead of dumbbells and a barbell. It was 35 minutes and I was surprised when the "Great workout" text appeared on the screen. It flew by! I was kind of tired this morning (probably from the time change :cautious:) and I wanted something not so intense, but also made me feel like I got a decent workout.

I am going out for a walk when my husband takes his lunch.

Does anyone else go to watch something on YouTube and then see some random video about a random topic? Does anyone else click on that video and when you look at the clock, like 30 minutes have gone by because you are watching video after video of that random topic? Yesterday, it was "rabies" for me. Now, when I am out on my walks, I am keeping an eye out for screeching, attacking raccoons. This raccoon in a video I watched sounded terrifying. It was like it was possessed by demon raccoon. That's when I said, "Ok, enough rabies for today" and went out for some fresh air. I read it costs $4K for the course of shots when you are bitten/scratched. Wow.

Songbird76

I have no idea, but I have the feeling this film culminated in this jerk's comeuppance. He was a really odious character and I don't think there was a redemption arc for him. I also didn't like that this film was set in an economically depressed town where the only place to work was an oil refinery. I think they cast locals, because a lot of people in the film had missing teeth and seemed to be in poor health. I felt like this film used them for laughs at their expense. It won some sort of award at the Cannes Film Festival last year. I mean, technically, it was a good film. The acting was really good, but thinking it was a good idea to use that sort of 'device' to further story is questionable.

I still haven't watched Turning Red yet. I think I'll save it for the weekend.
Do you mind sharing the name of the film? I'd like to look some things up. (and avoid accidentally starting to watch it.) I hate it when a movie is totally different than you expected, unless it's way better than you thought. I ended up accidentally watching a thriller once because it looked like a romance and it was in my "recommended for you" which I never watch thrillers. It started off fine...guy meets girl, they like each other, and they are spending a lot of time together and it's awesome, and then suddenly she's mentally ill and she moved to this town to escape her past where she tried to murder or DID murder her (now ex) boyfriend because she was paranoid that he was distancing himself and she somehow manages to lure him or someone connected with him to her house where she tries to murder them....I think I had to turn it off because it freaked me out and I didn't want to see whether or not she succeeded. It was a few years ago and I don't remember the name of it. But I remember there was nothing in the title or the picture that went with it to suggest it was anything but sappy romance, and why in the WORLD did Netflix suggest it for me when I don't watch thrillers??

Songbird76

It's kind of weird that some people never catch this when it goes through a house. My husband works with a few people where one person came away unscathed from it. There was an article about that last week. They are trying to figure out why some people, despite being in close contact with someone with covid, never caught it.
Well it looks like my husband has it now, too. He woke up this morning with a sore throat, so he went and got tested. We don't have the results yet, but he's saying he feels awful now, and had to come lie down. He thought he had a fever, but he checked and he doesn't, but he quit work early for the day....he's been working at home since E got her positive self test. But he went to the movies for the whole day with his brother yesterday....they have this membership thing where they can watch unlimited movies for a set price, so like once a month, they take a day and they make reservations for one right after another and go from morning to night watching movies. So he was sitting in a theater all day yesterday, and now it looks like he has covid. He had a negative self test yesterday morning before he went, and he had no symptoms, and pretty much all restrictions have been lifted at this point. If you are boostered and have no symptoms, you can go anywhere, even if your housemates have corona. His brother already had it back in December? So I hope he doesn't get it again!

Songbird76

Hello-

I did a strength workout that used a kettle bell instead of dumbbells and a barbell. It was 35 minutes and I was surprised when the "Great workout" text appeared on the screen. It flew by! I was kind of tired this morning (probably from the time change :cautious:) and I wanted something not so intense, but also made me feel like I got a decent workout.

I am going out for a walk when my husband takes his lunch.

Does anyone else go to watch something on YouTube and then see some random video about a random topic? Does anyone else click on that video and when you look at the clock, like 30 minutes have gone by because you are watching video after video of that random topic? Yesterday, it was "rabies" for me. Now, when I am out on my walks, I am keeping an eye out for screeching, attacking raccoons. This raccoon in a video I watched sounded terrifying. It was like it was possessed by demon raccoon. That's when I said, "Ok, enough rabies for today" and went out for some fresh air. I read it costs $4K for the course of shots when you are bitten/scratched. Wow.
Not necessarily on random topics, but I'll get sucked into a particular channel or something. Tim Minchin. I saw one of his videos and ended up watching him for HOURS. Did the same with some other comedian. Mark Rober is another.

Sans Souci

Do you mind sharing the name of the film? I'd like to look some things up. (and avoid accidentally starting to watch it.) I hate it when a movie is totally different than you expected, unless it's way better than you thought. I ended up accidentally watching a thriller once because it looked like a romance and it was in my "recommended for you" which I never watch thrillers. It started off fine...guy meets girl, they like each other, and they are spending a lot of time together and it's awesome, and then suddenly she's mentally ill and she moved to this town to escape her past where she tried to murder or DID murder her (now ex) boyfriend because she was paranoid that he was distancing himself and she somehow manages to lure him or someone connected with him to her house where she tries to murder them....I think I had to turn it off because it freaked me out and I didn't want to see whether or not she succeeded. It was a few years ago and I don't remember the name of it. But I remember there was nothing in the title or the picture that went with it to suggest it was anything but sappy romance, and why in the WORLD did Netflix suggest it for me when I don't watch thrillers??

It was called Red Rocket. This review showed up in my news feed.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/mar/13/red-rocket-review-sean-baker-predatory-past-it--star

EDIT: You'll need to replace the **** with the word that this short hand for "adult movie."

So I am not the only one who thought this was gross.

I find sometimes, "recommended for you" gives you stuff you'd likely never watch. I think they try to keep you interested in new things, so you don't unsubscribe. But I hate those types of movies that you accidentally watched. I don't like violent movies, but I can't watch movies with intimate violence in them. Ironically, I like to read about true crime.

StarWarsGirl

I had it last month. I'm pretty sure my brother also had it, though he tested negative. I picked it up in WDW and realized I had it when I got home, so my parents were not only in close contact, they were in a hotel room with me. They never caught it. So weird.

StarWarsGirl

So long story that I haven't told on this thread.

When I was on vacation in South Carolina, I crashed my bike (well, the rental bike). I ended up pretty badly beat up. I dislocated and broke my middle finger on my right hand, so I had surgery to repair the finger back in January. Well, my knee was also injured at the same time. At the ER, they said it was stable and obviously the greater concern was the broken middle finger.

So I went to WDW, walked around on it with a brace, and was in a ton of pain almost all the time (although it was good for the finger because it was a week of basically not having to use it and allowing it to heal). When I got home, after recovering from COVID when I could finally get in to see an orthopedist, I got an MRI done. Turns out I tore my PCL and damaged a few ligaments around it. So now I'm going to be in physical therapy for idk how long trying to get the thing to heal. Workouts have been entirely on hold because I can't lift weights right now, and walking really really hurts, so I'm going to wait on further guidance from the physical therapist before figuring out what workouts I can do.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster

When I was on vacation in South Carolina, I crashed my bike (well, the rental bike). I ended up pretty badly beat up. I dislocated and broke my middle finger on my right hand, so I had surgery to repair the finger back in January. Well, my knee was also injured at the same time. At the ER, they said it was stable and obviously the greater concern was the broken middle finger.

So I went to WDW, walked around on it with a brace, and was in a ton of pain almost all the time (although it was good for the finger because it was a week of basically not having to use it and allowing it to heal). When I got home, after recovering from COVID when I could finally get in to see an orthopedist, I got an MRI done. Turns out I tore my PCL and damaged a few ligaments around it. So now I'm going to be in physical therapy for idk how long trying to get the thing to heal. Workouts have been entirely on hold because I can't lift weights right now, and walking really really hurts, so I'm going to wait on further guidance from the physical therapist before figuring out what workouts I can do.
Sending {{HUGS}} prayers and pixie dust. Take it easy my friend

Songbird76

It was called Red Rocket. This review showed up in my news feed.

EDIT: You'll need to replace the **** with the word that this short hand for "adult movie."

So I am not the only one who thought this was gross.

I find sometimes, "recommended for you" gives you stuff you'd likely never watch. I think they try to keep you interested in new things, so you don't unsubscribe. But I hate those types of movies that you accidentally watched. I don't like violent movies, but I can't watch movies with intimate violence in them. Ironically, I like to read about true crime.
Oh, I do watch a lot of documentary series about crimes and how they were solved, etc. I find those things fascinating, but I don't like thriller movies or fictional accounts of violent crimes. I will have to avoid Red Rocket, thank you for the heads up. I'm also not into erotica. I feel like the only woman on the planet who never read 50 Shades of Grey because the whole concept is disgusting to me. From what I've heard from people, it's basically abusive behavior glorified because the guy is rich and good-looking. No, thank you, I'll pass.

Sans Souci

Wow. I am sorry about your injuries (and covid). So is your PCL injury treatable with PT then? Have they ruled out surgery? Your injury sounds serious if you've got damaged ligaments around it, too.

Sans Souci

Oh, I do watch a lot of documentary series about crimes and how they were solved, etc. I find those things fascinating, but I don't like thriller movies or fictional accounts of violent crimes. I will have to avoid Red Rocket, thank you for the heads up. I'm also not into erotica. I feel like the only woman on the planet who never read 50 Shades of Grey because the whole concept is disgusting to me. From what I've heard from people, it's basically abusive behavior glorified because the guy is rich and good-looking. No, thank you, I'll pass.

I hid my interest in true crime for years. I was worried people would think I was obsessed with serial killers or something. Then I read it's quite a popular genre among women. If you like True Crime, you might like the book I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara. It is about the Golden State Killer. (What a creepy, terrifying man.) They finally caught him a few years ago through a DNA website.

I didn't read 50 Shades of Grey, either. It didn't seem like something that would interest me and I heard it was poorly written. Wasn't it fan fic based on Twilight?

StarWarsGirl

Wow. I am sorry about your injuries (and covid). So is your PCL injury treatable with PT then? Have they ruled out surgery? Your injury sounds serious if you've got damaged ligaments around it, too.
From what I've researched online, they usually don't do surgery for PCL tears. My doctor consulted with another doctor in the practice and they concurred it doesn't need surgery. They'd have me do it at their center, which is actually a lacrosse center, so they treat athletes there. Not just a regular PT center where you'd go for a car accident and such. I think if a few months down the line they find that PT isn't helping, then maybe they'll rethink, but I think they're trying to avoid that route.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did a Kettlebell and bodyweight HIIT off of YouTube. It was 30 min. The perfect length of time for me right now. I also went out for a walk since it's just a gorgeous day outside. It is in the upper 60s and sunny. I saw some daffodils that are opening while I was out. It's such a mood boost to see things waking up for Spring.

I feel like I am coming down with a sinus infection. That's the only drawback for me this time of year. I took some stuff that should help with headache and cheek and teeth ache. I might take tomorrow off from workouts to let my body fight this off. I'll see how I feel. I'm very hoarse from post nasal drip, too. I am hoping it's just a change in weather that's causing my sinus issues.

Songbird76

I hid my interest in true crime for years. I was worried people would think I was obsessed with serial killers or something. Then I read it's quite a popular genre among women. If you like True Crime, you might like the book I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara. It is about the Golden State Killer. (What a creepy, terrifying man.) They finally caught him a few years ago through a DNA website.

I didn't read 50 Shades of Grey, either. It didn't seem like something that would interest me and I heard it was poorly written. Wasn't it fan fic based on Twilight?
Yes, it was Twilight Fan Fic, and while Twilight is a guilty pleasure of mine, I don't like fan fiction. It never sounds right to me...it's people's fantasies about characters who would never do what the person fantasizes about. The characters never act like themselves, because it's not the creator of that character writing it. But apparently that particular fan fiction became really popular among people who read and wrote fanfics, and so she decided to publish it and had to go through and change the names. But she was not an author or anything....just a Twilight fan who dreamed up this fantasy and wrote it down. I've heard the same thing, that it's really poorly written, and that's probably why. This wasn't someone with any experience writing and it was never meant to be a book. Anyway, I refuse to read it.

I've never actually read any true crime....I might try it. I love to read, and I like most genres other than horror, thriller, and I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan, but I like some. I like fantasy, romace, suspense, historical fiction, some non-fiction....why not try true crime? Thanks for the suggestion!

Songbird76

Hello-

I did a Kettlebell and bodyweight HIIT off of YouTube. It was 30 min. The perfect length of time for me right now. I also went out for a walk since it's just a gorgeous day outside. It is in the upper 60s and sunny. I saw some daffodils that are opening while I was out. It's such a mood boost to see things waking up for Spring.

I feel like I am coming down with a sinus infection. That's the only drawback for me this time of year. I took some stuff that should help with headache and cheek and teeth ache. I might take tomorrow off from workouts to let my body fight this off. I'll see how I feel. I'm very hoarse from post nasal drip, too. I am hoping it's just a change in weather that's causing my sinus issues.
Could the sinus issues be from allergies? I hope it's not too bad. I HATE sinus infections.....so miserable. I used to get them all the time until I got my adenoids removed.

Sans Souci

From what I've researched online, they usually don't do surgery for PCL tears. My doctor consulted with another doctor in the practice and they concurred it doesn't need surgery. They'd have me do it at their center, which is actually a lacrosse center, so they treat athletes there. Not just a regular PT center where you'd go for a car accident and such. I think if a few months down the line they find that PT isn't helping, then maybe they'll rethink, but I think they're trying to avoid that route.

That's good that you won't need surgery, which I guess is somewhat of a silver lining for you. How long does it take this type of injury to heal?

Sans Souci

Could the sinus issues be from allergies? I hope it's not too bad. I HATE sinus infections.....so miserable. I used to get them all the time until I got my adenoids removed.

I took an OTC allergy pill recommended to me the last time I had a sinus infection and I woke up without any sort of pressure in my face and no post nasal drip. So, I think I don't have an infection. I think it is the change in the weather. It snowed over the weekend and yesterday was upper 60s. I always get sinus pain when that happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom