Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

amjt660

Premium Member
Still doesn’t justify it or explain at the least why we haven’t gotten a Grogu/Mando thing at GE
I am a SW fan - but not a super fan so do not take me to task on this one.

My understanding (from one visit to DLR in 2019) is that SWGE is set in the time of the First Order
Kylo , Rey, Fin, Poe , BB8 etc

So you will not see Darth Vader, young Luke or Lei, or Obi-wan

In the same light Grogu and Mando are after Episode 6 but before the First Order - so it is not clear if they would still be around in SWGE time frame - well Grogu could be since he can live a long life (like Yoda) but I doubt Mando would still be alive.

Fixing Galaxy Edge in a defined time is one of my hang ups with it.

I am old enough to say I went to the movie theatre and saw New Hope when it came out in 1977
I wanted a Star Wars area of the parks that was able to show everything - not just the last 3 movie content

Just my 2 cents

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
I believe you.

But I'm also reminded that's exactly what people said about Star Wars circa 2015.

Styles change. Things change. Even the kids change.

And that's without Burbank somehow screwing it all up. See: Star Wars, Muppets, Pixar. Add in Duffy, Pins, Beanie Babies and Pogs while we're at it.

I think the question here is whether Marvel (and Avengers campus in particular) has the ability to reach the magical level of "timelessness" that we associate with other Disney IP's.

I do not have the answer - no one does.

Mickey Mouse is thought to be timeless - created in 1928 - continuously evolving in form and style to this day.

Star Wars was timeless at one point in my life - then Jar Jar showed up - but it recovered - then Episode 9 came out - but it recovered for me with Mandalorian and baby Yoda/Grogu (and Ahsoka - she rocks)

Marvel has been around for decades - the MCU has been going strong since Iron Man in 2008 - will it be sustainable? timeless?

Only time will tell...

(Not to be too corny (ok - just a bit))

Max

CaptinEO

I believe you.

But I'm also reminded that's exactly what people said about Star Wars circa 2015.

And that's without Burbank somehow screwing it all up. See: Star Wars, Muppets, Pixar. Add in Duffy, Pins, Beanie Babies and Pogs while we're at it.
It's amazing how Disney makes great attractions for other franchises, but only when they don't own them.

Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Pandora, all collaborations done with the story creators.

Yet Disney makes a whole "Star Wars Land" as big as 1/3rd of Disneyland, and it feels almost nothing like Star Wars, like a bad knock off.

To be honest I miss the days when Disney had one brand and one image, they made fairy tale films, theme parks, and family entertainment.

Comic Book Heros and Star Wars have nothing to do with Disneyland IMO.

When I got my first AP in 2014 classmates and coworkers called me a weirdo for going to Disneyland without kids.

Now it seems Disneyland wants the adult/teen crowd with their focus on Marvel and Star Wars. I don't get it at all. I liked the parks and the brand for what it was before.

josh2000

When I got my first AP in 2014 classmates and coworkers called me a weirdo for going to Disneyland without kids.

Now it seems Disneyland wants the adult/teen crowd with their focus on Marvel and Star Wars.
I think you are spot on with this. Disney is trying to broaden the audience, and it seems to be working to some degree. I am 21, and I can personally think of people my age who never had even a passing interest in going to a Disney park until they saw Galaxy's Edge or Avengers Campus. Specifically, footage of Rise of the Resistance and the Spider-Man stuntronic were huge on social media and generated a lot of new interest from young people who aren't your typical Disney park visitors. Everything I've said is all anecdotal of course so take it with a grain of salt.

CaptinEO

I think you are spot on with this. Disney is trying to broaden the audience, and it seems to be working to some degree. I am 21, and I can personally think of people my age who never had even a passing interest in going to a Disney park until they saw Galaxy's Edge or Avengers Campus. Specifically, footage of Rise of the Resistance and the Spider-Man stuntronic were huge on social media and generated a lot of new interest from young people who aren't your typical Disney park visitors. Everything I've said is all anecdotal of course so take it with a grain of salt.
Good point and I am not saying Disney is wrong for doing this. Family demographics are only worth so much vs younger crowd with some disposable income.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I think the question here is whether Marvel (and Avengers campus in particular) has the ability to reach the magical level of "timelessness" that we associate with other Disney IP's.
The Sanctum at night with the glowing lights that change colors, the music playing all around, and the Orb of Cagliostro sparkling nearby are as top notch examples of Imagineering beauty as anything in the Resort. If I saw that area as a kid, I'd be awestruck (and probably looking for fairies or wizards to appear there).

You don't have to know anything about Marvel, the Avengers, Doctor Strange or multiverses to find that small corner absolutely enchanting. I will gladly argue that that corner of the Campus and Cars Land (day or night) are the two places in DCA that are as high quality placemaking as anything at DL in their presentation.

I have sat in the Sanctum at night just looking up at the lights and smiling with pleasure at the beauty of it all. (Cars Land, too, for that matter. That place is just joyous.)

I also think the Quinjet looks damn cool day or night.

As for the rest of the Campus, I won't try to defend it as magical or timeless, but it definitely looks better at night. :)

But I'd've certainly rather had Asgard as the land and the Sanctum as the Tower even if it didn't make sense in "California". I still miss the Asgard throne room visit from Super Hero HQ in Tomorrowland!

josh2000

None of us can speak for Avengers Campus yet. But I'll argue that Marvel itself has already reached timelessness.

The MCU might be 'new', but Marvel as a whole has been classic for a very long time. The MCU is just a modern spin on these iconic characters and stories.

Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Doctor Strange, Black Widow, Hulk, Black Panther and the majority of the core Marvel characters are from the '60s. Hell, Captain America is from the '40s! These characters have already lasted through 60+ years of popular culture. They are more popular and relevant than ever before. What other properties from the '60s can that be said for?

TP2000

Now it seems Disneyland wants the adult/teen crowd with their focus on Marvel and Star Wars. I don't get it at all. I liked the parks and the brand for what it was before.

Take this with a grain of salt because it's not at all scientific...

The young guys at my barber shop said two years ago that "Disney ruined Star Wars" and they don't like it any more. The Star Wars "brand" now is seen as pandering and PC and fake and way too corporate by these young guys. Also lame.

It seems that Burbank took the Star Wars franchise and drove it into the ground and made it very unhip. How that is possible, I don't know. But apparently it happened.

This also explains why I got no Star Wars costumes at my front doorway this Halloween.

I think Burbank just killed it. See: Pogs, circa 1996.

CaptinEO

Take this with a grain of salt because it's not at all scientific...

The young guys at my barber shop said two years ago that "Disney ruined Star Wars" and they don't like it any more. The Star Wars "brand" now is seen as pandering and PC and fake and way too corporate by these young guys. Also lame.

It seems that Burbank took the Star Wars franchise and drove it into the ground and made it very unhip. How that is possible, I don't know. But apparently it happened.

This also explains why I got no Star Wars costumes at my front doorway this Halloween.

I think Burbank just killed it. See: Pogs, circa 1996.
I'm a huge Star Wars fan of the original movies and while Lucas killed it to an extent 20 years ago, Disney ruined the original characters somehow, which is even worse.

Disney did an awful job with Star Wars. Their Star Wars Land barely feels like Star Wars to me.

Disney did kill Star Wars. They managed to get the original cast back and still ruined it and thought Han Solo and Leia should be divorced and Luke Skywalker should be a sarcastic jerk on an island.

TragicMike

I believe you.

Most of the MCU characters are older than the first Star Wars film, they stood the test of time. Star Wars, despite being “ruined by wokeness” or whatever people claim, is still one of the five most valuable media franchises in the world. Lightsabers, Sith Lords, space ships and the force are always going to be cool.

We’re well over a year removed from the “peak/end of the MCU” in Endgame and we’re about to watch Spider-Man No Way Home hit a billion dollars during a global pandemic. Spider-Man is never going to not be cool. Marvel and Star Wars are timeless franchises.

MoonRakerSCM

I saw random photo of the characters out at marvel land... The Christmas decorations appeared to be cheap Garland hastily taped onto the railing on the main/empty building.

Did I see correctly?

MoonRakerSCM

Ah, I found it. Yup...

1638770598510.png

TP2000

I'm... immersed.

I have absolutely no idea who these people are. They appear to be standing on a fake balcony of a fake office building, spruced up with a $20 gift card used at whatever was left of the Anaheim WalMart's Christmas decoration aisle the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Now I'm sure someone can swoop in and explain "Oh, that's Wondergirl and Kip from Hilldale High and Batlady! They're very popular with Gen Z'ers who stay home playing video games on Saturday night instead of going on dates with real girls!", but that still doesn't help much. I'm already immersed in how bland this new Marvel Land appears to be.

Last edited:

Nonja

If you hate Marvel so much I don't undestand the idea of comenting constantly on how bad is it lmao spend your time in something you liked instead

But yes that narrative of how umpopular StarWars and Marvel are, that's a new low. Come on you can do better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm... immersed.

I have absolutely no idea who these people are. They appear to be standing on a fake balcony of a fake office building, spruced up with a $20 gift card used at whatever was left of the Anaheim WalMart's Christmas decoration aisle the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Now I'm sure someone can swoop in and explain "Oh, that's Wondergirl and Kip from Hilldale High and Batlady! They're very popular with Gen Z'ers who stay home playing video games on Saturday night instead of going on dates with real girls!", but that still doesn't help much. I'm already immersed in how bland this new Marvel Land appears to be.
Upset that D'Amaro keeps rejecting your idea for a Tom Mix and his horse, Tony, ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom