The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

In news of local interest, I went to our huge Walmart's this morning (black Friday) intentionally because I like to live dangerously. Parked out front were three local police cars and inside they actually had about 15 registers open. The only problem I could see was that there were fewer people in the store then I have ever seen. Kudo's though that they finally staffed for an expected rush on the place. That will probably never happen again.

Figgy1

Premium Member
In news of local interest, I went to our huge Walmart's this morning (black Friday) intentionally because I like to live dangerously. Parked out front were three local police cars and inside they actually had about 15 registers open. The only problem I could see was that there were fewer people in the store then I have ever seen. Kudo's though that they finally staffed for an expected rush on the place. That will probably never happen again.
We used to do Black Friday back before the stupid Thanksgiving openings and once we took the boys to do their shopping after early dinner as we were first stop for family members heading down the shore. Anyhoo both Walmart and Target had full staffing which is why we wouldn't go after the stupid Thanksgiving Black Friday it just felt wrong. I hope the stores don't get back into the earlier and earlier openings as Thanksgiving should be a day off for all but non essential places. I say that as somebody that has no right to gripe when dh has to work holidays.

wdwfan4ver

Czech, German, and a little recently found Russian here, so pasta is not a holiday tradition.
Although, mom will make the pasta salad pictured below from time to time for certain Holidays/gatherings…this was from July 4th…!!!!! :hungry:

View attachment 603113
My parents eat pasta salad including Easter, but not on New Years, Christmas, and Thanksgiving. We have enough food the way it is.

wdwfan4ver

We used to do Black Friday back before the stupid Thanksgiving openings and once we took the boys to do their shopping after early dinner as we were first stop for family members heading down the shore. Anyhoo both Walmart and Target had full staffing which is why we wouldn't go after the stupid Thanksgiving Black Friday it just felt wrong. I hope the stores don't get back into the earlier and earlier openings as Thanksgiving should be a day off for all but non essential places. I say that as somebody that has no right to gripe when dh has to work holidays.
I agree about Thanksgiving Black Friday. My younger brother used to work in retail at Kmart and had no choice for working on Thanksgiving. I view it as retail looking at making more money than caring about the employees for that day. Black Friday is bad enough for retail employees and is a day that my younger brother is happy he does not works in retail anymore.

My parents had to accommodate him for a Thanksgiving meals for retail by doing the meal a day early. There is no need for non essential retail stores having employees work on Thanksgiving compare to what we grew up with our dad for missing certain holiday stuff and what my younger brother currently goes through. My younger brother works at hospital and it is essential to be open. My younger brother does not work on Christmas Day this year, but will on New Years Day due to holiday off policy the hospital has.

My dad was not always home when My younger brother and I growing up for unwrapping Christmas gifts that Santa placed front of the tree on Christmas Day. He was not always at his mom's house for Thanksgiving. He was not always at his parents home for Christmas Eve either. His problem was his lack of seniority at work for being first in line to get vacation days off. My dad worked in the electric field for a living and is self explanatory why. My dad did a bunch of positions in the electrical field that involves a lot of stuff including substations, and powerlines.

My dad in his later years in the company had not have this issue.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I agree about Thanksgiving Black Friday. My younger brother used to work in retail at Kmart and had no choice for working on Thanksgiving. I view it as retail looking at making more money than caring about the employees for that day. Black Friday is bad enough for retail employees and is a day that my younger brother is happy he does not works in retail anymore.

My parents had to accommodate him for a Thanksgiving meals for retail by doing the meal a day early. There is no need for non essential retail stores having employees work on Thanksgiving compare to what we grew up with our dad for missing certain holiday stuff and what my younger brother currently goes through. My younger brother works at hospital and it is essential to be open.

My dad was not always home when My younger brother and I growing up for unwrapping Christmas gifts that Santa placed front of the tree on Christmas Day. He was not always at his mom's house for Thanksgiving. He was not always at his parents home for Christmas Eve either. His problem was his lack of seniority at work for being first in line to get vacation days off. My dad worked in the electric field for a living and is self explanatory why. My dad did a bunch of positions in the electrical field that involves a lot of stuff including substations, and powerlines.
I get it dh got to leave a couple of hours early Wednesday night and getting even that was an ask as they need people with every level of seniority where he works

Lilofan

My parents had to accommodate him for a Thanksgiving meals for retail by doing the meal a day early. There is no need for non essential retail stores having employees work on Thanksgiving compare to what we grew up with our dad for missing certain holiday stuff and what my younger brother currently goes through. My younger brother works at hospital and it is essential to be open. My younger brother does not work on Christmas Day this year, but will on New Years Day due to holiday off policy the hospital has.

My dad in his later years in the company had not have this issue.
In regards to working on holidays, cast members scheduled to work probably don't even blink an eye since most if not all holidays are packed with guests and cast members making the magic while all enjoying themselves.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oh it was hell. Watched a good 100 walk in the door at 7 when we opened.
Only 100? That's not too bad;)
Miss You Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Figgy1

Premium Member
I think I'd actually love this. Will give this new cast a chance. Since it's on tomorrow night, I'll remember to DVR it, in case I get distracted and forget that it's on. Thanks for the heads up.
Anytime.
With so many remakes coming out the past several years I'm generally against them but this is one I think I'll try and watch as we watch the original every year

MinnieM123

Premium Member
You do like living on the edge! :jawdrop: I wouldn't go near any large store or shopping area/mall on Black Friday. (Also, I'm glad that the people I buy gifts for, aren't into anything rare or expensive, so I have plenty of time and options for my Christmas list.)

What I miss is back when I was a kid, and my mother, grandmother, and siblings would all ride the subway, and go into large department stores in Boston, the day after Thanksgiving. (No shoppers ever called it Black Friday -- only the merchants/financial people referred to it as that.) The large stores were crowded and all, but had such a festive holiday atmosphere. It was an actual event for us. Part of the fun was looking at all the amazing Christmas displays outside in the dept. store, street-level display windows. We'd always got hot chocolate, too. :hungry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom