News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And its not like we are talking about the Prequel trilogy level of IP. The new trilogy (and add in Rogue One for fun) make up 4 of the top 36 highest grossing movies of all time. Going backward investing into an aging market makes no sense, unless your looking for a quick money grab, not sustainability and long term growth.
That was the EXACT same argument for the prequels.

we have “numbers amnesia” again…

chart Those movies on a graph and see if you can see a pattern?

that’s today’s homework. For fun tomorrow we can put other movies release in that time period and notice their money trends.

Casper Gutman

I still find it very, very odd that this gives folks the opportunity to elaborately and immersively LARP as the Forst Order, a group very, very closely modeled on… prominent 20th century fascist movements. Like really closely. On the big one.

It’s a tiny step away from a very immersive multi-day Raiders of the Lost Ark experience that lets you… pick your side…

Especially in this particular cultural moment, it just seems like a… problematic choice for a LARP.

pdude81

You think they would make more money...in the long term, by going back to 40-50 year old IP, as opposed to more recent IP that has proven to be commercially successful? That makes no sense, in the long term.

Listen I loved the old films, I grew up watching them, and will firmly be in the Skywalker's are Star Wars camp. But I am middle aged now and not getting any younger. While my kids have seen the original trilogy of movies, they are more familiar and attached to BB8 than 3CPO or R2D2 ect. Younger generations have more attachment to the newer Star Wars Cannon movies and extended universe features than they do to the original trilogy, and it is that generation of young kids that are A) figuring into parents decisions to bring their kids to WDW now, and B) will be the next generation of spenders looking to go to WDW. That's the generation your marketing towards for the future

And its not like we are talking about the Prequel trilogy level of IP. The new trilogy (and add in Rogue One for fun) make up 4 of the top 36 highest grossing movies of all time. Going backward investing into an aging market makes no sense, unless your looking for a quick money grab, not sustainability and long term growth.
Your children may be more attached to the sequel trilogy, but I don't think you can project that out to the rest of the populace. I agree that it is not clear that focusing more on the older movies will bring in more revenue in the long term, but they bet the farm on characters (in the parks) that are only popular with fans and not the rest of the world.

As for box office sales, if you index for inflation, the first of each trilogy does quite well, but when you get down to the rest of the films it's only the OT that sticks up in the top tier. There are various ways to look at it but BoxOfficeMojo is reputable so I'm using their take on it with the newest Ticket prices available (2020 average). From: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2020

Episode IV:---- 2
Episode V:---- 13
Episode VI:----17
Episode I:----- 19
Episode II:---- 100
Episode III:---- 70
Episode VII:--- 11
Rogue One:--- 62
Episode VIII:---44
Episode IX:---- 88
Solo: ---------- 534

Now most of these are still very successful, but without the Star Wars withdrawal bumps you get for 1 and 7 these seem to be on different tiers of historical popularity. Whether ten years down the line the younglings are showing their love for these movies over others is unknowable, but they also didn't spend a billion dollars two years ago for a hamburger on Tuesday.

UNCgolf

The new trilogy (and add in Rogue One for fun) make up 4 of the top 36 highest grossing movies of all time. Going backward investing into an aging market makes no sense, unless your looking for a quick money grab, not sustainability and long term growth.

That's kind of meaningless if you don't account for inflation. The Phantom Menace actually made more money than both Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker, and Revenge of the Sith made more money than Rise of Skywalker too. Force Awakens did very well, but it still didn't outperform Star Wars and the fact that the sequels dropped so much isn't the best sign. The three original movies as a group made far more money than the three prequels or the three sequels.

I'm not arguing that it should have been the OT -- I understand why Disney would want to use their own stuff going forward, especially since it's more recent. I'm just pointing out the highest grossing movies of all time thing is always heavily skewed towards whatever released in the last few years so it's not that useful.

Wendy Pleakley

The new movies were heavily influenced by the original trilogy, to the point the Force Awakens was criticized for being a remake of A New Hope.

So, this is still going to feel like classic Star Wars. If it were a Naboo cruise ship it would feel very different.

Star Wars doesn't do time travel, otherwise they could honestly just throw that in and have a random visit with Darth Vader. It wouldn't be much different than Star Tours going to the Battle of Hoth. It makes no sense but it delivers what some people want.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The new movies were heavily influenced by the original trilogy, to the point the Force Awakens was criticized for being a remake of A New Hope.

So, this is still going to feel like classic Star Wars. If it were a Naboo cruise ship it would feel very different.

Star Wars doesn't do time travel, otherwise they could honestly just throw that in and have a random visit with Darth Vader. It wouldn't be much different than Star Tours going to the Battle of Hoth. It makes no sense but it delivers what some people want.
Yeah…but to skirt is to assume your core audience bought that nonsense…in fact…the more they try to “change the subject”…the less money they will make - just my theory.

Wendy Pleakley

The Plot of Star Tours and what Disney fans sometimes belittle Universal's pleasure trip when something goes wrong concept where as reality, that is common story conflict plot.

And this is fine. It's certainly debatable where this should fall in terms of giving people what they know versus doing something new.

It's an attraction. There should be some "Star Wars Greatest Hits" elements for sure. On the other hand, what has been revealed so far is exactly what I expected. There's nothing surprising or original about the story they're telling.

What the final product will be remains to be seen, but my initial reaction is to be a bit underwhelmed, given the price point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's kind of meaningless if you don't account for inflation. The Phantom Menace actually made more money than both Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker, and Revenge of the Sith made more money than Rise of Skywalker too. Force Awakens did very well, but it still didn't outperform Star Wars and the fact that the sequels dropped so much isn't the best sign. The three original movies as a group made far more money than the three prequels or the three sequels.

I'm not arguing that it should have been the OT -- I understand why Disney would want to use their own stuff going forward, especially since it's more recent. I'm just pointing out the highest grossing movies of all time thing is always heavily skewed towards whatever released in the last few years so it's not that useful.
Yeah…I mean…you truly are a wizard with your grasp of the context. As always 😉

it’s a lost art.

then only prior movies worse than the ST are phantom menace and attack of the clones…I’d love to hear why I’m wrong? But another thread and time. We got a $5000 trip to the back gate of mgm near muppet vision to talk about!

Incomudro

And this is fine. It's certainly debatable where this should fall in terms of giving people what they know versus doing something new.

It's an attraction. There should be some "Star Wars Greatest Hits" elements for sure. On the other hand, what has been revealed so far is exactly what I expected. There's nothing surprising or original about the story they're telling.

What the final product will be remains to be seen, but my initial reaction is to be a bit underwhelmed, given the price point.
Yeah, the story line delivers much of what I was hoping it would - and that is an interception by the First Order.
I'm going to assume that Kylo Ren himself will make an appearance.
The key will be in how well it's all done.
If it's done well, and it's exciting and fun - it may be a great experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, the story line delivers much of what I was hoping it would - and that is an interception by the First Order.
I'm going to assume that Kylo Ren himself will make an appearance.
The key will be in how well it's all done.
If it's done well, and it's exciting and fun - it may be a great experience.
The key is really how invested Disney is in selling the story. Which means overhead costs and talent.

that’s what will determine the longterm appeal.

bubbles1812

My understanding is that all guests will be divided into two groups: Those who sympathize with the Resistance, and those who want to help the First Order. Each group gets the same overall set of activities, but with the "bad guy" being the side you didn't pick.

So there'll be two versions of the grand finale, where you have to save the ship from attack. In one version, you're the Resistance fighting the First Order. In the other, you're First Order fighting the Resistance. Whatever side you're on, always wins.
So what you’re saying is we are all getting the world’s most expensive participation trophy? 😝

(I’m still looking forward to trying this, I promise, haha)

Mickeyboof

corran horn

“I’m sure you’re wondering about the new "realistic" lightsaber promised to be a part of the Galactic Starcruiser experience, where the blade extends from the hilt like an actual lightsaber…..Unfortunately, that lightsaber isn’t for guests to use or purchase. It’s strictly for use by the performers.” https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-hotel-galactic-starcruiser-preview

lame
Figured that. They're just for shows and such. Probably very delicate.

TikibirdLand

TFA was enjoyable; glad to know why. This experience is going to be... interesting. We've got to get past the reviews from "journalists" invited by Disney (and afraid of not being invited again) before we can get real reviews. At these price points, I'll be watching from the sidelines (I can afford it, just seems a trip to Europe would be higher priority). Hopefully, we'll see some good videos from RTV1.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
TFA was enjoyable; glad to know why. This experience is going to be... interesting. We've got to get past the reviews from "journalists" invited by Disney (and afraid of not being invited again) before we can get real reviews. At these price points, I'll be watching from the sidelines (I can afford it, just seems a trip to Europe would be higher priority). Hopefully, we'll see some good videos from RTV1.
It would have to be fantastic for me to pay it. Nothing announced so far appears to meet that standard. I’ll let it play and see.

this is the equivalent of a small DVC add on. That would likely be a much better use of throwaway cash. And I can use that at beach club 🏖

kingdead

I still find it very, very odd that this gives folks the opportunity to elaborately and immersively LARP as the Forst Order, a group very, very closely modeled on… prominent 20th century fascist movements. Like really closely. On the big one.

It’s a tiny step away from a very immersive multi-day Raiders of the Lost Ark experience that lets you… pick your side…

Especially in this particular cultural moment, it just seems like a… problematic choice for a LARP.
Realistically, how many Star Wars fans are going to want to kill Chewbacca? I could see some Dark Side aficionados if there were a Sith option, but this appears to be Jedis vs mall cops. (Also, where ARE the Jedi? $6k and you don't get any Jedi?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom