News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Dunston

This is turning out to be just like the massive LARPs I've participated in (and helped run). Totally fun.
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

corran horn

17. There’s something on the menu for everyone.

For those with less adventurous palettes and dietary restrictions, there are vegetarian substitutions and the standard chicken fingers, or tip yip, and fries.

so my son will not starve, good.

21. If you need some air, the climate simulator has you covered.

If traveling through space has you feeling the need for fresh air, Johnson has just the thing. “This is the space that we have not talked a lot about. It’s really amazing technology from the Star Wars world,” she says with a wink. “We were able to exactly simulate the climate of the planet we’re visiting on your shore excursion. So in our case, that’s the planet of Batuu.” That means a courtyard with all the sunshine and humidity you can expect on the world, alongside plants collected from other planets where the Halcyon starcruiser has docked. “We’ve got a little garden out there and a simulated roof overhead that is even able to simulate the sky.”

there you go.

Brian

I believe this is without precedent. CPs had previously been unable to apply for opening teams.

I had heard some rumblings that the roles for this opening team were particularly hard to fill, given the strict theming standards, as well as the overall labor shortage.

bubbles1812

It sounds...fine.

The story sounds like exactly what one would predict. It's a "cruise" but also secretly out to help the Resistance and will get involved in some sort of skirmish with the First Order.

For the price will people want a bit more than "Star Wars by the numbers?"

Food & merch looks to be of high quality.
I fully intend to go to the Dark Side 🤪😈 Should be interesting. Not sure if I really want a full length robe and hat, looking at the merch. I’ll settle for the extra special “data pad” if there isn’t a T-shirt to buy 😙

Last edited:

Magic Feather

I believe this is without precedent. CPs had previously been unable to apply for opening teams.

I had heard some rumblings that the roles for this opening team were particularly hard to fill, given the strict theming standards, as well as the overall labor shortage.

Directly apply? No, however there have been plenty of CP's on opening teams in recent years, at least since Pandora.

Also, Disney is reeeeally trying to get their current CP's to stay as long as possible. Extensions are being given out like candy. FT and PT transfers are being granted. The only accommodation Disney hasn't made yet is bringing back Seasonal as a potential status (other than random cases like runDisney).

flynnibus

Premium Member

Who do they have working on it? Top Men...

NOPE - Just our temporary work force that have no prior experience and will leave within a short amount of time...

Putting noobs on their most premium priced product on property... what amazing ideas!

Brian

Directly apply? No, however there have been plenty of CP's on opening teams in recent years, at least since Pandora.

Also, Disney is reeeeally trying to get their current CP's to stay as long as possible. Extensions are being given out like candy. FT and PT transfers are being granted. The only accommodation Disney hasn't made yet is bringing back Seasonal as a potential status (other than random cases like runDisney).
It had been my understanding that CPs were only permitted onto opening teams during extensions (and maybe still not), but it seems like you might have more recent exposure in that regard so I'll defer to you on that one. It's been quite some time since I've worked in a department where there were CPs.

To your second point, they definitely need the CP workforce. They're a unique demographic of manpower in that they are, in large part, sycophantically loyal to the company and the brand, and willing to work the crap shifts at sometimes lower pay rates than those statused CR/FT. That goes a long way in a labor market where it's hard to find quality people to work for you.

ImperfectPixie

It had been my understanding that CPs were only permitted onto opening teams during extensions (and maybe still not), but it seems like you might have more recent exposure in that regard so I'll defer to you on that one. It's been quite some time since I've worked in a department where there were CPs.

To your second point, they definitely need the CP workforce. They're a unique demographic of manpower in that they are, in large part, sycophantically loyal to the company and the brand, and willing to work the crap shifts at sometimes lower pay rates than those statused CR/FT. That goes a long way in a labor market where it's hard to find quality people to work for you.
Sorry, but I don't have any pity for large corporations that treat their employees horribly. Disney, unfortunately, falls into that category and has for a long time.

MrPromey

You can't get on stage with the actors of Hamilton and riff with them for about eight hours, either.
To be fair, we really don't know how much of that will be happening with this experience yet, either.

It's only 100 rooms but we could still easially be looking at 300+ people so the level of per-guest direct interaction that isn't a stand-around-in-a-group-and-listen has yet to be seen.

lentesta

Premium Member
I fully intend to go to the Dark Side 🤪😈 Should be interesting. Not sure if I really want a full length robe and hat, looking at the merch. I’ll settle for the extra special “data pad” if there isn’t a T-shirt to buy 😙

My understanding is that all guests will be divided into two groups: Those who sympathize with the Resistance, and those who want to help the First Order. Each group gets the same overall set of activities, but with the "bad guy" being the side you didn't pick.

So there'll be two versions of the grand finale, where you have to save the ship from attack. In one version, you're the Resistance fighting the First Order. In the other, you're First Order fighting the Resistance. Whatever side you're on, always wins.

celluloid

It sounds...fine.

The story sounds like exactly what one would predict. It's a "cruise" but also secretly out to help the Resistance and will get involved in some sort of skirmish with the First Order.

The Plot of Star Tours and what Disney fans sometimes belittle Universal's pleasure trip when something goes wrong concept where as reality, that is common story conflict plot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It sounds...fine.

I agree with your resounding endorsement…

are they tripling?…quardupling down? On the reboot bad Ip choices?

not surprised with that from “Hubris, Inc.”

not like it will ever change…but they’d make more money in the long run if they “came home” and catered to the old guard. Whatevs

pdude81

not like it will ever change…but they’d make more money in the long run if they “came home” and catered to the old guard. Whatevs
It's got to jive with Batuu though. They'd have to redo everything, or demo Backlot express and create another OT land out from there into the parking lot a bit. That way you could be on a cruise in either timeline.

JMcMahonEsq

You think they would make more money...in the long term, by going back to 40-50 year old IP, as opposed to more recent IP that has proven to be commercially successful? That makes no sense, in the long term.

Listen I loved the old films, I grew up watching them, and will firmly be in the Skywalker's are Star Wars camp. But I am middle aged now and not getting any younger. While my kids have seen the original trilogy of movies, they are more familiar and attached to BB8 than 3CPO or R2D2 ect. Younger generations have more attachment to the newer Star Wars Cannon movies and extended universe features than they do to the original trilogy, and it is that generation of young kids that are A) figuring into parents decisions to bring their kids to WDW now, and B) will be the next generation of spenders looking to go to WDW. That's the generation your marketing towards for the future

And its not like we are talking about the Prequel trilogy level of IP. The new trilogy (and add in Rogue One for fun) make up 4 of the top 36 highest grossing movies of all time. Going backward investing into an aging market makes no sense, unless your looking for a quick money grab, not sustainability and long term growth.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wonder why if it's complete enough to tour - why it's still so far from opening?

Did they really wait that long to staff and work on the writing/training?

I read an article about the preview and they were saying that even some of the things they were shown were not done yet, like cast members in temporary costumes.

mdcpr

Someone mentioned new generations not into the old IP. 'Luke, I am your Father' is a line that I've heard my tween daughter and her friends say to each other. Not sure about the context, but it is definitely a classic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You think they would make more money...in the long term, by going back to 40-50 year old IP, as opposed to more recent IP that has proven to be commercially successful? That makes no sense, in the long term.

Listen I loved the old films, I grew up watching them, and will firmly be in the Skywalker's are Star Wars camp. But I am middle aged now and not getting any younger. While my kids have seen the original trilogy of movies, they are more familiar and attached to BB8 than 3CPO or R2D2 ect. Younger generations have more attachment to the newer Star Wars Cannon movies and extended universe features than they do to the original trilogy, and it is that generation of young kids that are A) figuring into parents decisions to bring their kids to WDW now, and B) will be the next generation of spenders looking to go to WDW. That's the generation your marketing towards for the future

And its not like we are talking about the Prequel trilogy level of IP. The new trilogy (and add in Rogue One for fun) make up 4 of the top 36 highest grossing movies of all time. Going backward investing into an aging market makes no sense, unless your looking for a quick money grab, not sustainability and long term growth.
Those movies headed straight downhill from an financial success standpoint. Both box and more importantly - licensed product sales.

this is like the Xfiles…”the truth is out there”

to be succinct..they can go ahead and not return calls from Ridley and boyegas agents (and I bet they get them…cause they don’t work)

now…I’m not suggesting selling gamorrean guard cosplay to 75 year old Xers in 20 years.

there most successful material…now and moving forward…is from mandalorian. I’d argue boba fett is gonna have legs. If they cleaned up the trouble…obi-wan too.

i’ll remind that there are no Star Wars movies being made…as in the most successful lb for lb on film franchise is in a 5 year production funk. That is the real disaster of the ST. Proving again that you can “make money” and fail. They did. Put em with Justice league…just as ridiculous.

so what I propose is just dump the unnecessary changes to sell different crap. No “resistance” or “first order”….change the troopers back.

you can reskin some AAs in the very near future on those rides and really reinforce the IP and longterm appeal.

and you let filoni and favreau keep doing what they’re doing…which is rebuilding a bridge. And on the other side of the bridge? Big bags of money.

it requires a little common sense and Hollywood tact…it’s possible.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Someone mentioned new generations not into the old IP. 'Luke, I am your Father' is a line that I've heard my tween daughter and her friends say to each other. Not sure about the context, but it is definitely a classic.
It’s the fundamental Hollywood franchise. It’s hard to argue otherwise.

no MCU as we know it if Star Wars hadn’t changed the game permanently.

doesn’t mean we can live in the past…but we don’t have to tolerate Disney’s bad management taking a dump on it either.

as the ferengi say: “there’s no profit in this”

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom