News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

pdude81

So to answer some questions about why the call we made took so long.
Note: if any of this was explained ahead of time on the website it wouldn't have been necessary to be explained to us, but it isn't.

- Give options of dates
- Explain room type and layout in detail as the suites do not have an overhead layout map available.
- Explain insurance- We were familiar with cruise (real cruise) insurance, but wanted to understand why we would want it for a land based trip
- Explain cancellation policy- It's different than a regular Disney trip. Pay in full within 90 days and then it's a 60-half 30- all cancellation policy.
- Price of the suites- There was absolutely no pricing on the suite categories so you were just calling blind and hoping they don't say "20 grand"
- Booking the captains table.. there was a whole spiel. we ended up booking it both nights
-Can you leave the ship for whatever reason and get back on (I know it's silly, but not listed in the FAQ
- Cast member has to explain the Disney play app / the data pad /the data bands. / how a tablet or phone is required even for the children. I was aware of all of this, but they go over it anyway. You also feel like you have to be polite.
- Is there a pool? Lol, but my wife is legitimately angry she can't pay 10 dollars a minute to swim in space.

There are many other questions and long things they have to go over with you even if you are familiar.. Still 4.5 hours on hold. insane. imagine if your cell phone drops the call.
Just a note to add to this, as I was just checking back on some things since you mentioned you got the Captain's table for both nights. My understanding is that you are only able to book it for one or the other, and if they had it twice for you then they will likely be cancelling one and switching that back to regular dining. I assume someone would call you to hash it out, but you may want to check in if you care which day you partake.

Skywise

The lightsaber training was to have a special lightsaber that would flash or spark at the point of impact. There was a patent for one, hopefully it will be a part of the experience.
disney-patents-hint-at-possible-star-wars.html
It was also supposed to have a blade that fully deployed and retracted like a light saber from the movies - not a physical, hard, tube. (Although maybe the thought is that customers can train with their own sabers they bought at Galaxy's Edge)

UNCgolf

Wow.

That video looked like something you'd pay $10 to do as as an add-on somewhere. The whole bridge looks plastic and the window looks like a TV screen instead of a window out into space on a moving ship.

I honestly can't believe how unimpressive that was. I was expecting it to look great, just overpriced. Obviously that's not the whole experience, but why in the world would they choose that for a promotional video?

On the other hand, it makes Galaxy's Edge look really great in comparison!

Last edited:

Skywise

I'm with the others - not impressed at all.
The bridge controls look cool but the integration is nothing more than a simple video game.
The Hyperspace effect should be tied to the throttle control so a slow pull should do a "slow" expansion of the stars into hyperspace. This looks more like "wait for the throttle to be all the way back then run the hyperspace animation".
That's not immersive at all.
I'd also point out that the bridge should've been on an internal platform that could pitch and shift as the battle commenced but... alas... I'm sure they didn't do anything like that...

Skywise

Now combine that laughable tech with the fact this takes place in Disney's Star Wars universe, so we get 6 actors cosplaying a galactic cruise ship staff of whom the guests will have no emotional connection, and Rey who saves the day. No thanks. I'll spend a week, club level at Boardwalk.
Or ~3 days at club level at the Polynesian! :p (or maybe that should be 😭 )

Skywise

Why is all the new star wars stuff so disappointing? Seriously, Disney what are you doing? This hotel looks like an extensions of MF tech. Poor and outdated before it opened.
It shouldn't be surprising that they just used MF tech... but I was really thinking it'd be more like Star Tours or at least put a little more effort into it. But this honestly feels like they just used their cruise ship 'playroom' designs for a landlocked cruise experience. But minus the pool deck, multiple restaurants, theaters and fireworks...

Also - that entry sign completely breaks the fiction as well - It should say "Galactic Starcruiser PORT" or maybe 'shuttle station'.

Actually.. they should just call it The Halcyon

durangojim

My wife and I are cracking up at this video of D’amaro. Was that supposed to make us drop $10K for the “experience”? This looked so pitiful. It looks like something that should be on one of the Disney Cruise ships, where it would be completely fine, but here. Holy crap it looks so underwhelming. I wonder how many people that made reservations are having second thoughts?

Last edited:

UNCgolf

My wife and I are cracking up at this video of D’amaro. Was that supposed to make us drop $10K and the “experience”? This looked so pitiful. It looks like something that should be on one of the Disney Cruise ships, where it would be completely fine, but here. Holy crap it looks so underwhelming. I wonder how many people that made reservations are having second thoughts?

Not to belabor the point, but I just can't get over how bad that looks. I'm blown away by it and not in the way Disney hopes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom