News Target coming to Walt Disney World and Disney Store shop-in-shop coming to Target stores

ImperfectPixie

I think they would have to look at free standing, i agree that the mall concept is getting too hard to survive in. If toys r us can have free standing stores clearly disney could. And before anyone says it, no matter how poorly toys r us was ran it would still be in business if not for the leveraged buy out saddled it with too much debt.
Lifestyle/shopping centers. They're as popular as all get-out here when they're in the right spot and have a good mix of stores/gym/restaurants/etc.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Why are you so focused on malls? Finding better locations is relatively easy.
Well, that is where most of their locations were in. So your expectation from Disney is to shutter all those and then invest in brand new locations in more favorable locations?

I think some may be unwilling to accept the reality of today's retail and the Disney Store. Sure, Disney could invest more money than they already have to try to reinvigorate the store brand once again (for like the 5th time?). But to what end? Would they ever see a return on that? You don't think this has been considered?

Disney has adapted. They partnered with Target and enhanced their online presence.

hopemax

I don’t think Disney has considered much at all. On all types of Disney collecting type boards people are always noting how many times the item they ordered online arrived broken. Some people would receive an item 3, 4, 5 times. It takes time for people to deal with ShopDisney GS. What does it do to Disney’s accounting to keep sending stuff out like that. Packages go missing, and then the item is out of stock and GS says they can’t reship. The bucket gets refilled later and you see people saying they were able to order later but you missed it so you still don’t get the item.

Meanwhile Loungefly from a licensing side and Hot Topic / Box lunch from the retail side have figured out how to sell Disney stuff without the exasperation (things sell out, but that just shows the market exists!) That’s not “the state of retail”… that’s ineptitude and a lack of interest in improving it.

ImperfectPixie

Well, that is where most of their locations were in. So your expectation from Disney is to shutter all those and then invest in brand new locations in more favorable locations?

I think some may be unwilling to accept the reality of today's retail and the Disney Store. Sure, Disney could invest more money than they already have to try to reinvigorate the store brand once again (for like the 5th time?). But to what end? Would they ever see a return on that? You don't think this has been considered?

Disney has adapted. They partnered with Target and enhanced their online presence.
Dude, they didn't adapt at all. They gave up and decided that a handful of garbage toys you can find anywhere and that their website (which is pathetically bad) is good enough.

So apparently Chapek and his underlings (don't forget - he's a merchandise guy) tanked the stores and now he's going to tank the parks. Great strategy.

celluloid

Dude, they didn't adapt at all. They gave up and decided that a handful of garbage toys you can find anywhere and that their website (which is pathetically bad) is good enough.

So apparently Chapek and his underlings (don't forget - he's a merchandise guy) tanked the stores and now he's going to tank the parks. Great strategy.

Exactly. Man their website really is junk. They would make more money if it was a different more user friendly design and feature more options.

If Spencer's and Hot Topic can survive, there is no reason Disney Stores should not have succeeded.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

lol. Okay, okay. I give up. Apparently, I will not be able to convince you.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
In years past, we would walk out of a Disney store with multiple bags. In the last 4 years, the merchandise has gotten so bad that we stopped even going. The website sucks as well, and runs out of merchandise way to quickly. If they had 100 stores with this merchandise and now you can't even find it on-line, what's the point?

ImperfectPixie

Exactly. Man their website really is junk. They would make more money if it was a different more user friendly design and feature more options.

If Spencer's and Hot Topic can survive, there is no reason Disney Stores should not have succeeded.
Whoever they've got handling their online retail should be fired. The number of screw-ups, broken merchandise, missing shipments, lack of stock tracking complaints, etc. are indicative of major problems.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Whoever they've got handling their online retail should be fired. The number of screw-ups, broken merchandise, missing shipments, lack of stock tracking complaints, etc. are indicative of major problems.
That's our other major complaint with the website. We have ordered multiple items that were not packed correctly, and arrived broken, and then customer service say they are out of the item, so they can't ship us a new one, but have to issue a refund. :mad:

celluloid

That's our other major complaint with the website. We have ordered multiple items that were not packed correctly, and arrived broken, and then customer service say they are out of the item, so they can't ship us a new one, but have to issue a refund. :mad:

Sounds like a policy based on a study you won't want to part with the "limited" item and they keep the profits from the perceived value when bad packaging happens and avoid issuing you the refund. I am sure there is data somewhere on how many customers would go with that.(Not most likely I know but anymore who knows)

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Yup...I've also heard a few times of things shipped twice and the customer gets to keep the extra order at no additional charge. It's a poop-show.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yup...I've also heard a few times of things shipped twice and the customer gets to keep the extra order at no additional charge. It's a poop-show.
We've never had to ship an item back to them for something broken. They have asked for pictures and then sent the replacement.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sounds like a policy based on a study you won't want to part with the "limited" item and they keep the profits from the perceived value when bad packaging happens and avoid issuing you the refund. I am sure there is data somewhere on how many customers would go with that.(Not most likely I know but anymore who knows)
I can't remember a time when we were able to secure a limited item. Even if it's something we want, they have always been sold out on the website before we can even get to it. Even if they limit it to 2 per customer, we all know that there are people that create a bunch of accounts to get around that restriction to sell the item on eBay.

hopemax

My Dad once got 2 kids Halloween costumes and was missing an item. Guest Services said they were going to email him a shipping label to return the costumes. Never got the email. He figured he tried. After a year, he gave them to a friend to sell on Facebook.

gerarar

Premium Member
Was looking for a thread for the Disney Store closures weeks ago when it happened, but here’s some sad TikToks of CMs closing up shop for the last time.. :(

The one near me at my local mall just renovated like 3-4ish years ago, so it’s mind boggling to see it close. It’s always crowded too, so I would imagine it wasn’t one that had limited sales/profit.

ImperfectPixie

Was looking for a thread for the Disney Store closures weeks ago when it happened, but here’s some sad TikToks of CMs closing up shop for the last time.. :(

The one near me at my local mall just renovated like 3-4ish years ago, so it’s mind boggling to see it close. It’s always crowded too, so I would imagine it wasn’t one that had limited sales/profit.

😭

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom