News Target coming to Walt Disney World and Disney Store shop-in-shop coming to Target stores

Communicora

Premium Member
So, I know it's been a while since they have been bringing these "so called" Disney sections..(yeah there not stores their sections). But, from what I have seen many people are very disappointed in the outcome as most merch is just generic branded Disney merch you'd find even if the section was't there and the toys and such they moved from the Toy Dept..Has anyone encounter a Disney Sto..I mean Section at their local Target yet?

Pathetic. Both Disney and Target should be embarrassed that this is what they are putting out there.

ppete1975

So, I know it's been a while since they have been bringing these "so called" Disney sections..(yeah there not stores their sections). But, from what I have seen many people are very disappointed in the outcome as most merch is just generic branded Disney merch you'd find even if the section was't there and the toys and such they moved from the Toy Dept..Has anyone encounter a Disney Sto..I mean Section at their local Target yet?

very small very bland, i will go out of my want to go to a disney store, if im at target i might not even go over there. I leave disney stores spending too much money, i have never bought anything from the disney "stores" at target.

ppete1975

sadly they have been going backwards with the whole process. It should have started with areas in target, then outlet malls, then destination stores in malls or standalone (we can skip the malls are dead pov right now). Disney should be putting huge stores with animatronics or statues all throughout a themed store. Have all your merch, push the newest movie, and clearance out all the junk you cant get rid of (currently not a thing, but it will return). Put these in states that dont have a disney. This wont impact people going to the amusement parks, but will keep feeding the addiction. These are the free hits before you buy the real thing concept. Now with cell phones and social media, include tons of photo spots. Sadly the original disney stores are closer to what they should be doing now, that target disney stores.

ImperfectPixie

sadly they have been going backwards with the whole process. It should have started with areas in target, then outlet malls, then destination stores in malls or standalone (we can skip the malls are dead pov right now). Disney should be putting huge stores with animatronics or statues all throughout a themed store. Have all your merch, push the newest movie, and clearance out all the junk you cant get rid of (currently not a thing, but it will return). Put these in states that dont have a disney. This wont impact people going to the amusement parks, but will keep feeding the addiction. These are the free hits before you buy the real thing concept. Now with cell phones and social media, include tons of photo spots. Sadly the original disney stores are closer to what they should be doing now, that target disney stores.
Agreed on all points...as well as with your earlier post. We went out of our way to go to the Disney Store and it was an "outing".

For a guy who comes from merchandising, Chapek doesn't seem to know his a$$ from his elbow.

castlecake2.0

I see unprecedented demand.
I see thousands of Cast, including several close peers, out of work so Disney can cheap out of running regional retail and let the brand suffer. This is a few Christmases ago at one of my locations, this is how it should look:
24E8221F-E9FA-4B38-B2B1-7370A8D8AC61.jpeg
824C0EC5-3EC2-4A1C-8369-28C5155A5F29.jpeg

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My expectation is that all Disney stores will be closed after the holidays. Maybe Times Square will make it? They just don’t bring in the return that Disney needs..and never would. Even the pretty stores.

ppete1975

My expectation is that all Disney stores to be closed after the holidays. Maybe Times Square will make it? They just don’t bring in the return that Disney needs..and never would. Even the pretty stores.
thats the part they dont get, when they were new you could do dvc, your could schedule your next trip, they even had the limited art. They need to go big, the stores should be advertising for them. Come in and take pics, let your kids play, get some pixie dust all over you.. while youre here buy something. Oh and since your feaming for your next or first trip, we can schedule that vacation right now... or have you heard of dvc....

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
thats the part they dont get, when they were new you could do dvc, your could schedule your next trip, they even had the limited art. They need to go big, the stores should be advertising for them. Come in and take pics, let your kids play, get some pixie dust all over you.. while youre here buy something. Oh and since your feaming for your next or first trip, we can schedule that vacation right now... or have you heard of dvc....
Too costly. Not enough return. And much of that can be handled online without leaving home now.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It shouldn't be. Not for Disney. A key part of enjoying the parks is the guest experience, and the CMs are a big part of that. A website is cold and impersonal and can be run by any schmuck.
Well it is. That is the reality. This isn’t Walt’s little company anymore. They have a responsibility to their CMs and shareholders. Disney Store has been dying a long death for years. And it doesn’t seem like further reinvestment is worth it. So time to let it die. Retail isn’t like it once was.

castlecake2.0

My expectation is that all Disney stores will be closed after the holidays. Maybe Times Square will make it? They just don’t bring in the return that Disney needs..and never would. Even the pretty stores.
Times Square won’t be closing along with some outlet stores. It looks like they have been strategic with leaving a location in each main geographical market: New York (US), London (UK), Dublin and France (EU) and throughout China and Japan. This to me looks like they don’t want to completely abandon the concept, they just don’t know what to do right now, but these locations allow them to keep a foot in the door for future endeavours. We will never see the return to stores in local malls, but a more strategic flagship model.

ImperfectPixie

Well it is. That is the reality. This isn’t Walt’s little company anymore. They have a responsibility to their CMs and shareholders. Disney Store has been dying a long death for years. And it doesn’t seem like further reinvestment is worth it. So time to let it die. Retail isn’t like it once was.
They were only dying because they weren't stocked and utilized properly and were dumbed down into bland toy stores.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They were only dying because they weren't stocked and utilized properly and were dumbed down into bland toy stores.
No, that is really not it. More recently, they actually revamped their lines and brought back much more unique offerings to the store (i.e. the kitchenware line(s)). But how much do you think it costs to rent a space in a mall that has actual foot traffic these days? And then add on the high operational costs? And who knows how long that particular mall will actually survive, given they are dropping like flies everywhere. As I said, retail has changed tremendously and companies must adapt.

ppete1975

Too costly. Not enough return. And much of that can be handled online without leaving home now.
You are looking at it wrong (in my opinion)
there is a ton of ROI that is currently untouched.
Go to a bass pro they are hammering their time share program near the door. While disney would want to soften that approach, they could easily have a third part travel agency/dvc/ concierge that works partly on commission in an area of the store.
Store exclusives- funko pops, keys, plushes that are only available at the stores
Birthday parties (something toys r us should have done),
Selling Disney+
Movie previews for whatever new is coming (some of the disney stores used to have big screens in an alcove that showed disney cartoons)
photo ops for instagram
pin trading

So you would go there for an over the top disney experience for the addicts (us), the kids, the people who have never been. You can have your birthday party there, you can get special ears and a funko thats only available there, there are statues and animatronics in a well themed store.
ROI-more pixie dust, dvc sales, trip sales, instagrammers, collectors, disney +, the next movie, birthday parties, and MERCH

make it a disney experience with amazing cast members handing out stickers and buttons (for no reason just to be nice)

to keep costs down, maybe some of these things are just open on the weekend and during the week its just a fun store.

It wont hurt the parks at all, because there isnt the same magic, no castle, and no rides. But it will hold over everyone till they can go, or make someone decide they have to go.

I relate it to how the original disney tv show was (besides a way to pay for the park), a way to publicize the parks.

ImperfectPixie

No, that is really not it. More recently, they actually revamped their lines and brought back much more unique offerings to the store (i.e. the kitchenware line(s)). But how much do you think it costs to rent a space in a mall that has actual foot traffic these days? And then add on the high operational costs? And who knows how long that particular mall will actually survive, given they are dropping like flies everywhere. As I said, retail has changed tremendously and companies must adapt.
Why are you so focused on malls? Finding better locations is relatively easy.

ppete1975

I think they would have to look at free standing, i agree that the mall concept is getting too hard to survive in. If toys r us can have free standing stores clearly disney could. And before anyone says it, no matter how poorly toys r us was ran it would still be in business if not for the leveraged buy out saddled it with too much debt.

ImperfectPixie

Go to a bass pro they are hammering their time share program near the door. While disney would want to soften that approach, they could easily have a third part travel agency/dvc/ concierge that works partly on commission in an area of the store.
Store exclusives- funko pops, keys, plushes that are only available at the stores
Selling Disney+
Movie previews for whatever new is coming (some of the disney stores used to have big screens in an alcove that showed disney cartoons)
photo ops for instagram
pin trading

So you would go there for an over the top disney experience for the addicts (us), the kids, the people who have never been. You can have your birthday party there, you can get special ears and a funko thats only available there, there are statues and animatronics in a well themed store.
ROI-more pixie dust, dvc sales, trip sales, instagrammers, collectors, disney +, the next movie, birthday parties, and MERCH

make it a disney experience with amazing cast members handing out stickers and buttons (for no reason just to be nice)

to keep costs down, maybe some of these things are just open on the weekend and during the week its just a fun store.

It wont hurt the parks at all, because there isnt the same magic, no castle, and no rides. But it will hold over everyone till they can go, or make someone decide they have to go.

I relate it to how the original disney tv show was (besides a way to pay for the park), a way to publicize the parks.
They could have a section for collectors - unique items for each store, with the ability for the "concierge" to track down specific items. I know people who collect toys, and they spend at a minimum 10 hours per week hitting different stores (sometimes even just over the state line) looking for specific items.

Lilofan

Selling Disney+
photo ops for instagram
pin trading

Disney is betting the farm on Disney+ . Recently Wall Street downgraded the company stock on the slowing growth of Disney+, shares slid approx 3% in one day recently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom