News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

tommyhawkins

Well, remember pre-Covid it was supposed to open much much earlier (May I think). Disney just sat on the completed ride.
Yeah it was only about 6...8ish weeks away from completion when Covid kicked in, and then they finally went back to it the ride was cycling by about feb this year so was SBNO for a half a year.
I've said this a few times but I think they could probably physically have CR ready by May/June then elect to just not open it until August so its exactly one year late. They dont need to open a ride draw crowds sooner than that because of pent up European demand. Ive been saying October 1st for Tron, but wouldn't be surprised if they push that into 23

Next Big Thing

Yeah it was only about 6...8ish weeks away from completion when Covid kicked in, and then they finally went back to it the ride was cycling by about feb this year so was SBNO for a half a year.
I've said this a few times but I think they could probably physically have CR ready by May/June then elect to just not open it until August so its exactly one year late. They dont need to open a ride draw crowds sooner than that because of pent up European demand. Ive been saying October 1st for Tron, but wouldn't be surprised if they push that into 23
Hell, for Europeans, SWGE and MMRR will be brand new to most of them. Ratatouille won't be a huge draw since they have it in Paris, though. I wouldn't be surprised if this ride is another October 1st opening, just in time for Epcot's 40th. There's no reason it should take that long, but I wouldn't be surprised.

UNCgolf

Watch while you can, apparently only going to be up for a little bit:

I know it's not finished but um... it looks awfully barren in there. Like they totally didn't need a show building anywhere near that size.

Yeah, wow. That seems like a bunch of empty space. I assume some of it will have show pieces (or screens) that they haven't yet installed, but I'm pretty sure they could have designed the ride in a way that wouldn't need such a massive building while giving a similar experience.

begood524

Yeah, wow. That seems like a bunch of empty space. I assume some of it will have show pieces (or screens) that they haven't yet installed, but I'm pretty sure they could have designed the ride in a way that wouldn't need such a massive building while giving a similar experience.
I don't think that's Cosmic Rewind. The track looks totally different (triangular pieces versus the cylindrical ones we've seen so far) and so do the cars themselves.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

That makes more sense.

My overall point that Disney could have absolutely designed this ride to have a similar experience without such a gigantic show building stands, though.
Most roller coasters are just empty space. Turns can only be so tight, launch areas and brake zones have minimum lengths, etc. You typically don't notice the actual volume a coster takes up as the majority of them are not covered.

For instance, if the Maverick at Cedar Point with a track length of 4462' were to be covered by a building, it would take a building with a footprint of nearly 700'x700' that was over 14-15 stories tall.

By comparison, the building housing the coaster portion of Cosmic rewind with a reported track length of 5000' is only around 220'x320' and a height of 14 stories +/-. The pictures we have so far show an incredibly tight track layout with very little wasted space.

I say, count your blessings that the building is not bigger.

Em-5cF6W8AIaX88.jpg

Patcheslee

Most roller coasters are just empty space. Turns can only be so tight, launch areas and brake zones have minimum lengths, etc. You typically don't notice the actual volume a coster takes up as the majority of them are not covered.

For instance, if the Maverick at Cedar Point with a track length of 4462' were to be covered by a building, it would take a building with a footprint of nearly 700'x700' that was over 14-15 stories tall.

By comparison, the building housing the coaster portion of Cosmic rewind with a reported track length of 5000' is only around 220'x320' and a height of 14 stories +/-. The pictures we have so far show an incredibly tight track layout with very little wasted space.

Em-5cF6W8AIaX88.jpg
I'm not a sound engineer, but could a smaller building increase the volume as well?

dreday3

UNCgolf

Em-5cF6W8AIaX88.jpg

That's kind of my point -- they should never have built a coaster like this to begin with. Build a better ride that doesn't require such a massive show building.

The only way it's acceptable at Disney is when it's something like Space Mountain or Everest where the entire building (at least the guest facing part) is themed (or RNRC, I guess, which works because the park was already supposed to have giant soundstage warehouses). That wasn't really going to work in EPCOT regardless.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Em-5cF6W8AIaX88.jpg
But did it have to be a box. Or could they have added an architectural element ala classic epcot and the building they are using in the front. It wouldnt be the first time an indoor roller coaster or omnimover wasnt built in boring square box, would it

cough
1634222234145.png
1634222254553.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom