Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
FL is now 13th best in cases per 100k in the last seven days very slightly behind NY and several others grouped together. PA is significantly higher. Hopefully the higher vaccination rates keep the hospitalizations at bay.

Are there any mitigation mandates being brought back in PA based on case counts/community spread?

My prediction from July that FLs case number would return to June levels before the 50th didn't turn out to be correct. The slope of the decline isn't as steep as India was so looks like I'll be off by two week or so.
Over the last 14 days PA’s case rate is up 1% so I wouldn’t exactly say there is any sort of major spike. The graph looks like we have hit a plateau and may be starting to trend downward.

I can’t speak for the whole state but my county is around 17 cases per 100K and has just started to plateau and decline a little. We are up to around 100 hospitalizations for Covid but our Jan peak was over 600 so nowhere near that level. Right now the counties with the higher covid spread are more rural counties. Philadelphia and it’s suburbs are much lower than the state average (lower right below). The Philadelphia suburban counties have higher vaccination rates, my county is over 80% of eligible people vaccinated. As far as mitigation, we are not In the low spread category anymore so indoor masks are supposed to be back but it’s up to the business. It’s about 50/50 on who requires it and who doesn’t. I would say even when not required I am seeing a lot more masks now then what we had this Summer. People here in general are pretty level headed and accepting of the need for mitigations. Philadelphia did mandate indoor masks again for all businesses. They have been generally more strict with mitigation due to population density there. The whole state has a mask mandate for schools so all students should be wearing masks in school and on buses.

27305015-4558-46FB-9662-D74D44F67531.png

8EFA1AB3-FC8D-4E4A-8D69-AA33F8C3B366.png

Heppenheimer

Not quite a game-changer, but at least a first step and another tool in the arsenal:

From what I've read in this article and some more online information, it looks this oral medication is slightly less effective than the monoclonal antibody infusions for the same treatment goals, although because the treatment is oral, it should prove much more scalable. Also, the window for treatment lasts much longer. The drug also uses a completely different mechanism from the monoclonal antibodies, so we could possibly combine the oral and IV treatments. I suspect the EAU, if granted, will restrict use to people with underlying risk factors, since they studied this population specifically.

The trials stopped at a rather low enrollment number of less than 1,000, so I could foresee some concern about possible safety issues arising after general release, especially because this drug takes advantage of a rather novel mechanism. However, further online sleuthing shows that the drug is not exactly new, and has been thoroughly studied as a possible influenza treatment (that trial apparently is still ongoing). Kind of like the mRNA vaccines, they were around for much longer than people realized, just not yet commercially released.

Tantalizingly, though, at the end of the article, they mention possible use to prevent spread among known COVID contacts. Used as a prophylactic, that could indeed end up as a game changer.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not quite a game-changer, but at least a first step and another tool in the arsenal:

From what I've read in this article and some more online information, it looks this oral medication is slightly less effective than the monoclonal antibody infusions for the same treatment goals, although because the treatment is oral, it should prove much more scalable. Also, the window for treatment lasts much longer. The drug also uses a completely different mechanism from the monoclonal antibodies, so we could possibly combine the oral and IV treatments. I suspect the EAU, if granted, will restrict use to people with underlying risk factors, since they studied this population specifically.

The trials stopped at a rather low enrollment number of less than 1,000, so I could foresee some concern about possible safety issues arising after general release, especially because this drug takes advantage of a rather novel mechanism. However, further online sleuthing shows that the drug is not exactly new, and has been thoroughly studied as a possible influenza treatment (that trial apparently is still ongoing). Kind of like the mRNA vaccines, they were around for much longer than people realized, just not yet commercially released.

Tantalizingly, though, at the end of the article, they mention possible use to prevent spread among known COVID contacts. Used as a prophylactic, that could indeed end up as a game changer.
So this is given AFTER you get covid?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So far, yes, and only for symptomatic cases. But as noted, Merck is also investigating it for post-exposure prophylaxis.
That’s an interesting idea. Since we know pre-symptomatic spread is a problem you could give this to someone exposed to covid just in case. Maybe not everyone but not a bad idea for high risk people.

Chip Chipperson

The ironic part is back when I was that age a lot of us were putting a lot of “stuff” into our bodies without really knowing or caring what it was. I’m not talking about shooting up heroin or anything that extreme (although some did that too :() but even just stuff like GNC supplements or things like over the counter pills to stay awake.

Yep! People will walk into GNC or some local vitamin/supplement shop and buy giant containers of some powder or pills that claim to safely build muscle mass, yet they ignore the fact that professional sports leagues in the US provide athletes a list of supplements to avoid because they have found PEDs in them that weren't included in the list of ingredients - and you can buy those supplements at GNC (usually with a disclaimer on the label stating that their claims have not been evaluated by the FDA)! But they wouldn't dare get a vaccine because they "don't know what's in them" despite very easily being able to find out exactly what's in them because - unlike those supplements they take - the FDA has inspected the ingredients and manufacturing process to make sure they are what they say they are. But some guy on YouTube who may or may not say "Bro!" 5 times per sentence told them they don't need it if they just order his magical immunity/protein supplement.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Can someone explain to me why we can't have parades anymore, but can have the absolute chaos in the Emporium, with literally wall to wall people?!

Because people are not standing in the same place, next to the same person for up to an hour or more? 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom