Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarWarsGirl

Can someone explain to me why we can't have parades anymore, but can have the absolute chaos in the Emporium, with literally wall to wall people?!

There was a total of one parade at WDW before COVID, which was Festival of Fantasy. DL is the one missing the parades.

StarWarsGirl

In a world where people are ingesting horse medication, a legitimate and easy to take treatment for COVID is not the worst thing.

It's true that more people need to understand that preventing COVID is preferable to treating COVID.
It'll also be good for the breakthrough cases, even though many of them are minor. I mentioned a few pages back that a friend of my grandma's/aunt's who was fully vaccinated contracted COVID and died; a treatment like this might have made the difference for him.

StarWarsGirl

Hopefully it works better than tamiflu.
Tamiflu has personally worked very well for me when I've had the flu. I have asthma so I obviously also went on nebulizer treatments, orals steroids, etc. but I never had the flu go into pneumonia or needed to be hospitalized for it. You just absolutely have to get it as soon as you have symptoms.

DisneyCane

In a world where people are ingesting horse medication, a legitimate and easy to take treatment for COVID is not the worst thing.

It's true that more people need to understand that preventing COVID is preferable to treating COVID.
Ivermectin is NOT horse medication. It is a human medication that is also used to treat animals. It is not approved to treat COVID-19 but it is approved to treat human diseases.

The issue is/was people getting Ivermectin and coming up with the dose themselves leading to overdoses. It isn't because it is a horse medication.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ivermectin is NOT horse medication. It is a human medication that is also used to treat animals. It is not approved to treat COVID-19 but it is approved to treat human diseases.

The issue is/was people getting Ivermectin and coming up with the dose themselves leading to overdoses. It isn't because it is a horse medication.
People were buying the animal version and taking it because the human version requires a prescription and the animal version is more widely available. That’s why people call it a horse medication.

lazyboy97o

People were going to feed stores and buying formulations intended for horses and other livestock. People were overdosing because they were taking these formulations. But I get, these people spout a lot of other stuff that is comforting so they need to be defended.

DisneyCane

It has happened in the CDC data today. The seven day cases per 100k in Vermont (the highest vaccinated state) has exceeded the seven day cases per 100k in FL. FL is 175.6 and VT is 182.5. Hopefully the higher vaccination rate in VT keeps the spike from getting as bad as FL was a few weeks ago but I don't think the contribution of natural immunity can be ignored any longer.

Vaccination may be the best way to suppress the pandemic but it isn't the only way.

Heppenheimer

A preparation formulated specifically for equine use can properly be considered a "horse medicine", no matter the actual drug. Either way, anyone who would take a veterinary medication based on the research equivalent "some guy on the internet said" is fully deserving of every bit of ridicule they received.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It has happened in the CDC data today. The seven day cases per 100k in Vermont (the highest vaccinated state) has exceeded the seven day cases per 100k in FL. FL is 175.6 and VT is 182.5. Hopefully the higher vaccination rate in VT keeps the spike from getting as bad as FL was a few weeks ago but I don't think the contribution of natural immunity can be ignored any longer.

Vaccination may be the best way to suppress the pandemic but it isn't the only way.
This is the reason why I think a winter surge in hospitalizations in the NE is still inevitable. Vaccination rates are still not high enough to prevent it, even there.

mmascari

If it helps, my county hasn't been over 150 since February 2021. Currently sitting at 78.71. Between June and now we went from single digits up to near 150 and are headed back down.

Cases_&_Deaths.png

It's a county not a full state, but we still have almost twice the people of VT. The Fully Vaccinated % of Population is at 75.60% today on the CDC. As predictive is probably the At least One Dose over 12 of 98.20% and Fully over 12 of 89.10%.

People VaccinatedAt Least One DoseFully Vaccinated
Total875,540794,613
% of Total Population83.30%75.60%
Population ≥ 12 Years of Age875,399794,562
% of Population ≥ 12 Years of Age98.20%89.10%
Population ≥ 18 Years of Age794,390723,924
% of Population ≥ 18 Years of Age98.30%89.60%
Population ≥ 65 Years of Age174,543161,868
% of Population ≥ 65 Years of Age99.90%95.90%

We're mostly surrounded by counties not as far along, but not all, and we boarder a city but it's not in the county number. I thought we were going to be good in July, but it wasn't high enough then to prevent the higher surrounding transmission from intruding. Hopefully it is now. Assuming those second doses occur, we're at the end until younger doses are approved.

Yes, masks are currently required indoors and for all schools, but that's about the only mandated restriction. The rest is just how people act.

FL is coming down, let's hope it sticks.

corsairk09

I feel the same way. I guess because the parades used to get in the way of where I was going, but the cavalcades are short and sweet and give you a chance to see characters without waiting in line (or forced interaction).
Exactly. Also without the meet and greets, the characters were all over the place. I saw characters I never had before like Buzz and Stitch. My kids loved it!

Hope that is still the same in NOvember......

Hey random Covid Protocol Question: They had relaxation stations (where the meet and greets used to take place) where you could eat, remove your mask, get away from the crowds and get some AC. Is Disney still doing that? IT was a lifesaver for my little kids... not so much with the mask but escaping the crowds and decompressing.

StarWarsGirl

Hey random Covid Protocol Question: They had relaxation stations (where the meet and greets used to take place) where you could eat, remove your mask, get away from the crowds and get some AC. Is Disney still doing that? IT was a lifesaver for my little kids... not so much with the mask but escaping the crowds and decompressing.
Nope, they've gotten rid of those since you can take your masks off outside, but the way around it is to grab a snack and eat inside (they're definitely not policing mask wearing if you're at a table inside). The Land, Big Top Souvenirs, and Pizzarizzo are all good spots to go hang out with a snack inside (Pizzarizzo especially upstairs; barely anyone is ever there).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nope, they've gotten rid of those since you can take your masks off outside, but the way around it is to grab a snack and eat inside (they're definitely not policing mask wearing if you're at a table inside). The Land, Big Top Souvenirs, and Pizzarizzo are all good spots to go hang out with a snack inside (Pizzarizzo especially upstairs; barely anyone is ever there).
Same experience here. We hit the tent for slushy drinks and AC.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
FDA has set meeting for 10/14-10/15 to review JnJ and Moderna boosters. CDC meets the following Monday so shots could flow that week. FDA has set a meeting for 10/26 to review Pfizer‘s EUA for kids 5-11. CDC meets the following week so kids should be eligible for shots first week of November.

From the FDA:

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
FDA has set meeting for 10/14-10/15 to review JnJ and Moderna boosters. CDC meets the following Monday so shots could flow that week. FDA has set a meeting for 10/26 to review Pfizer‘s EUA for kids 5-11. CDC meets the following week so kids should be eligible for shots first week of November.
Need to get the 8 year old done then before we go to Canada for Christmas. Will/should be easier that way.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Need to get the 8 year old done then before we go to Canada for Christmas. Will/should be easier that way.
Should be good to go. Assuming they approve it he just needs the first shot before 11/20 to be fully immune by Christmas Day but should be a few weeks earlier than that, maybe as early as 11/1.

DisneyCane

Essentially nobody is starting a vaccine series. Still looks to me like around a million people got one shot and never went back for shot #2. If the trend continues, when 5-11 are approved somewhere around half will get shots. The 40-59 age group probably lines up politically for who isn't vaccinated but for under 40 that's clearly not the case.

Cases down 33% week over week and 75% since the peak. If the trend continues the new case positivity will be under 5% next week and cases per 100k per day should be around 16. Also if the trend continues, the spike should essentially be over in two weeks.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom