Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not gonna get West Virginia in that mix either. At least not at first. An where it sneaks up to the PA boarder.
Yeah, but there isn’t a ton of movement there. If you had rules in PA and not NJ that would be a bigger problem since there’s large population centers on either side of the river that cross back and forth regularly. NYC/NJ/CT as well or VA/MD/DC

BrianLo

Still, easier to get a group of 13 to agree on something than a group of 50+.

Again, our government can't do that here. They might be able to instate a restriction on public transit, but as far as restricting free travel between states? Nope, starts to get into a constitutional issue. The lawyer with whom I live even questions the constitutionality of Hawaii's travel restrictions, but that would have to be challenged in court, and no one wants to do that right now.

And if half the provinces in Canada were governed by someone whose party has no desire to implement any sort of covid restrictions much less enact vaccine passports you would have the same issue. That’s not the case and that’s good for you. I’m just telling you why it won’t work in the US.

I think you guys are all very confused. The passports have nothing to do with travel. What we mean is proof of vaccination for in-province leisure activities. There are no inter provincial restrictions and there may never be.

The restrictions are not because ‘13’ provinces/territories agreed. They are not federal. It’s still 13 governments and 13 variations of plans. Each system is fairly different in their implementation. None of the systems communicate. A few small provinces and territories do not have passports (yet). Just all the major ones do.

In fact, more than half of premiers are conservative and were extremely opposed. Many promised they would never implement this system and changed course. The issue is some chose to do it and the ones who didn’t suffered the consequences until they realized the evidence to preserve the economy, leisure and increase vaccinations rates were undeniable. What didn’t have good evidence was vaccine incentives (ie money).

We actually DONT have any sort of federal mandate. Simply a series of very different groups that came to the same conclusion. The reason the states have not done so, is because people largely don’t care what Canada is up to and no governor is willing to stick their neck out on the line to be the first. Well except Hawaii, but we can lump them in with Canada in the sense no one cares.

Quebec and BC stuck their necks out and the rest followed. Someone needs to stick their neck out in the US.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I think you guys are all very confused. The passports have nothing to do with travel. What we mean is proof of vaccination for in-province leisure activities. There are no inter provincial restrictions and there may never be.

The restrictions are not because ‘13’ provinces/territories agreed. They are not federal. It’s still 13 governments and 13 variations of plans. Each system is fairly different in their implementation. None of the systems communicate. A few small provinces and territories do not have passports (yet). Just all the major ones do.

In fact, more than half of premiers are conservative and were extremely opposed. Many promised they would never implement this system and changed course. The issue is some chose to do it and the ones who didn’t suffered the consequences until they realized the evidence to preserve the economy, leisure and increase vaccinations rates were undeniable. What didn’t have good evidence was vaccine incentives (ie money).

We actually DONT have any sort of federal mandate. Simply a series of very different groups that came to the same conclusion. The reason the states have not done so, is because people largely don’t care what Canada is up to and no governor is willing to stick their neck out on the line to be the first. Well except Hawaii, but we can lump them in with Canada in the sense no one cares.

Quebec and BC stuck their necks out and the rest followed. Someone needs to stick their neck out in the US.
Closest you might get are the west coastal states. California has more people than all of Canada so they might be able but they are still only ~10% of the US population.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Closest you might get are the west coastal states. California has more people than all of Canada so they might be able but they are still only ~10% of the US population.
Can you see California “sticking their necks out” and then Texas following? Lol.
Also, if California is going to do something like that, they may as well go all in with a vaccine mandate for all.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
How long the COVID-19 will be low enough as be just 10 cases per day soon? Maybe next year if many people will be vaccinated as 5-11 kids too?

Heppenheimer

I realize the passports could not restrict interstate travel, since this would clearly violate the federal constitution.

What I meant was the states that did adopt a passport would probably want their systems to to have some degree of interoperability, and they would also probably want to allow citizens of non-participating states to have a voluntary opt-in. So, even if the system doesn't operate officially on the federal level, the states would at least coordinate with each other and work towards standardization and mutual recognition.

If the EU adopts a passport system, I hope they also allow US travels an opt-in, since it looks like nobody in Washington has the courage to start a reciprocating program.

BrianLo

I too don’t think the states will do it, for other reasons. We are very different countries. All the more apparent in the last year.

But I also don’t believe they can’t, nor should they always ignore their neighbour.

BrianLo

I realize the passports could not restrict interstate travel, since this would clearly violate the federal constitution.

What I meant was the states that did adopt a passport would probably want their systems to to have some degree of interoperability, and they would also probably want to allow citizens of non-participating states to have a voluntary opt-in. So, even if the system doesn't operate officially on the federal level, the states would at least coordinate with each other and work towards standardization and mutual recognition.

If the EU adopts a passport system, I hope they also allow US travels an opt-in, since it looks like nobody in Washington has the courage to start a reciprocating program.

Ya that makes sense. There is no interoperability or cooperation between the provincial systems. However, I do understand if you mean we might eventually have more coordination (because we might!) Definitely the states never will.

I think one of the major differences between the countries is sheer capacity. Alberta and Florida essentially have their case numbers in synch today. We’re at 180% ICU capacity and Florida didn’t even run into that issue with 3X the daily cases.

Lilofan

If there is a friendship that is obvious and lucrative then that is the relationship between Canada and California. CAN is CA's second largest trading partner.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Lots to unpack here on the latest polling:
  • On the current topic, 35% of people vaccinated since June 1 listed wanting to participate in an activity that required it as motivation. They included travel, concerts and sporting events in there.
  • Only 19% said they got it because of a workplace mandate but that number will likely go up a lot.
  • The number of adults who say they will definitely not get the vaccine is down to 12% with 4% saying they will not get it unless their workplace requires it
  • They are also reporting that the racial gap in vaccinations is narrowing and almost gone
  • The political divide is not very changed…90% of Dems, 58% of Reps and 68% of Inds have gotten at least 1 shot
  • On boosters 71% of the unvaccinated say that some people needing boosters shows the vaccines are not working while 78% of vaccinated feel the boosters are a sign that scientists are continuing to make the vaccines more effective
  • About 6 in 10 Americans support the Federal Government OSHA mandate plan
  • One third of unvaccinated workers said they would be likely to get the vaccine if their employer required it
  • 56% of unvaccinated workers said they would choose the weekly test option over getting vaccinated
The racial gap narrowing is great news, the political divide not shrinking is unfortunate. As far as workplace mandates, in real life we have seen that what people say they would do and what they actually do is not at all consistent. 2/3 saying they aren’t likely to get the vaccine won’t play out in real life. Most reports I have seen showed over 95% of workers complied. On the weekly testing idea, I think that’s easier said then done. It’s a big inconvenience to do that every week and if it’s not offered at work it may take up personal time and money to do it. The booster thing isn’t surprising but makes no sense. Many vaccines we all took require boosters. It doesn‘t mean they don’t work, it means you need an additional shot for optimal effectiveness.

Polkadotdress

Where telemedicine is in heavy use is for specialties with high need but low geographic penetrance and can still be done virtually- mainly, dermatology and psychiatry. This isn't for cost-saving, the intent is to meet unfulfilled medical needs.
The primary care practice my family uses has fully embraced virtual visits, and when you call to make an appointment, you ALWAYS are given a virtual visit. If your illness/injury requires a closer look, then they’ll bring you in. They’ve been doing this since prior to the pandemic though…

We love it, as we’ve always been able to be seen the same day that we call, and there’s solace in knowing that if you don’t feel well you don’t even have to get out of bed!

BuddyThomas

I personally dont think this one’s ever going away, that said I’d be perfectly happy to get back to no restrictions and only a few thousand deaths a year, we live with several viruses we haven’t been able to completely eliminate but by managing them our lives go on without giving them any thought.

The all or nothing standpoints are weird to me, even if we can’t eliminate it that’s no excuse not to reduce it as much as possible.
Yeah but many diseases have been eradicated by vaccine - Polio, Rubella, Smallpox, etc - there should be absolutely no reason why we cannot eradicate this virus as well except that so many Americans are embracing stupidity as their new best friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom