New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

Monorail_Red_77

It's odd that with all the complaining about the time it's taking to dig up and rework the hub, I don't hear complaining about the time schedule of dressing up the pre-existing pathway. How long have they been at this for? As slow as this is progressing, I'm pretty sure it's one man doing all the work by himself.

By the time the guy finishes the theming of the bypass it will be time to start over again due to the paint fading. Kinda like the never ending project. :jawdrop:
Wait just a minute.... There would be an extra up charge to use this new bypass. Because you can witness first hand the bypass project that never was but always will be.

Cesar R M

Hmm, don't they tend to call sightline problems "Visual Intrusions" in permits/NOCs? I remember that wording from some New Fantasyland stuff with sightline fixes around Gaston's/Mermaid. Maybe they're fixing that horrendous mess of visible backstage space over in that area - I sure hope so!
I wonder why they dont make a bridge there for the CMS. In the style of "old american town".
so normal people go below the bridge.. like it was an alley.
and the CMS can easily go undisturbed from the top.

Next Big Thing

I wonder why they dont make a bridge there for the CMS. In the style of "old american town".
so normal people go below the bridge.. like it was an alley.
and the CMS can easily go undisturbed from the top.
lots of merch carts, trash bins, etc need to be brought back that way and are still nightly as it is being used. It would be very hard to do this bypass with just a bridge for CMs.

Sage of Time

Interesting permit today. Contractor is H o a r Construction who is doing the rest of the hub work Not sure why it's called the north bypass, but the address puts it behind main street where we know the bypass is being built.

"MK HUB - North Bypass Visual Intrusion"

Hmm, don't they tend to call sightline problems "Visual Intrusions" in permits/NOCs? I remember that wording from some New Fantasyland stuff with sightline fixes around Gaston's/Mermaid. Maybe they're fixing that horrendous mess of visible backstage space over in that area - I sure hope so!

Oh, man, maybe they're adding some more facade treatments back there. That would be nice.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
My buddy worked for Construction in 2007, then got canned 4 weeks later when recession hit. He did mention (outside of his obvious bias) that the company tended to cut corners on ALOT of projects. not sure if that is relevant being 8 years ago.

wdizneew

Wait just a minute.... There would be an extra up charge to use this new bypass. Because you can witness first hand the bypass project that never was but always will be.

Nah, there will be an uproar. Instead, they'll make you reserve Fastpass+ to access to bypass and make everyone else use the crawling speed of Main St USA. "Main St USA Bypass Fastpass+, Disney's highway in the alley that allows you to avoid parents with strollers, lost tourists, and herd-like conditions! Be one of the first in line for a bus, monorail, or ferry as you head back home!" ;)

My buddy worked for **** Construction in 2007, then got canned 4 weeks later when recession hit. He did mention (outside of his obvious bias) that the company tended to cut corners on ALOT of projects. not sure if that is relevant being 8 years ago.

I'm really hoping the bypass will have more theming than Disneyland's bypass (*crosses fingers*) but knowing how WDW budgeting goes, it'll most likely be the same thing...or maybe even less :(
B1jXjLFIcAANAZs.jpg

erclvrb18

Nah, there will be an uproar. Instead, they'll make you reserve Fastpass+ to access to bypass and make everyone else use the crawling speed of Main St USA. "Main St USA Bypass Fastpass+, Disney's highway in the alley that allows you to avoid parents with strollers, lost tourists, and herd-like conditions! Be one of the first in line for a bus, monorail, or ferry as you head back home!" ;)

I'm really hoping the bypass will have more theming than Disneyland's bypass (*crosses fingers*) but knowing how WDW budgeting goes, it'll most likely be the same thing...or maybe even less :(
B1jXjLFIcAANAZs.jpg
actually with those themed lights etc it actually looks nice!

wdizneew

actually with those themed lights etc it actually looks nice!

Maybe I'll have to see it in person then. I guess it makes sense to not spruce it up like Disneyland Paris' bypass because it's mostly going to be used during the high season or at night.

erclvrb18

Maybe I'll have to see it in person then. I guess it makes sense to not spruce it up like Disneyland Paris' bypass because it's mostly going to be used during the high season or at night.
yah I would love to see facades and stuff but if they put more work into the hub and make it more like a park (and hopefully) leave the fastpass areas open in the day... then im ok with the bypass not being completely themed.

Jon81uk

It will be NOTHING like Paris' arcades. This has been said on here before, the arcades in Paris were designed to allow people to move through the park in comfort in the cold wet winters. They work to a degree as a bypass when Main St is busy but they aren't designed to handle huge crowds, as there are tables in the arcade for the equivilant of Casey's corner.

The Disneyland California bypass has those overhead struts to stop people stopping to watch the fireworks there, if there is no view then just keep moving basically.

It looks like all WDW Magic Kingdom is getting are alleyway facades and brickwork on the back of the building. The bypass will work in a similar way to the bypass always has really.

beachlover4444

No, it has to do with traffic flow. Its an abysmal cluster trying to get up or down mainstreet during parade/fireworks.
you can say that again. we almost got crushed trying to view wishes a couple week ago. people wait til the last minute to find their "perfect" place then start moving around in the dark it was ridiculous bordering on dangerous for little kids.

beachlover4444

This.

and this.

My first thought. Fire everyone who is involved with this idea. Bypass Main Street USA... :banghead:

This is what TDO comes up with? Well let's just get the crowd to bypass MSUSA?! But we've come to expect this...convenience before show. EVERYTHING before show!

How about adopting Disneyland's crowd control techniques?! The road is for standing, the East sidewalk is for people going into the Hub, the West sidewalk is for people leaving the park. IT WORKS PEOPLE! The folks wanting to watch the fireworks are happy because they can camp out in their prime spot, and the crowds buzzing around UNDERSTAND one-way traffic. What they DON'T understand is the chaos that ensues at MK because Park Ops can't grasp crowd control!

Bypass Main Street USA.... :mad:
problem is they don't camp out early anymore, they wait then they tramp over the ones who did scout a spot and it's sad you have to use a FP to get a spot to see fireworks. WDW MK has gotten ridiculous and everyone shows up when the other parks close and crowd up main street pushing everyone over trying to get the best spot to see the nighttime events.

beachlover4444

it would really help if every single park mirrored Magic Kingdom with the night time fireworks/wishes theme. If they all stayed open til 9 or 10...Once AK stays open and becomes an evening park that will help. Everyone who does AK during the day goes to MK for nighttime and that clogs up main street big time. Then when HS closes early same thing. So if they kept every park open 9-9 or 9-10 it would be so much better. Clearly if you are like me with 3 days, you are going to the parks that are open the latest like MK or Epcot. Just because you want the most bang for the buck... But if they were all equal it would spead people out.

wdizneew

problem is they don't camp out early anymore, they wait then they tramp over the ones who did scout a spot and it's sad you have to use a FP to get a spot to see fireworks. WDW MK has gotten ridiculous and everyone shows up when the other parks close and crowd up main street pushing everyone over trying to get the best spot to see the nighttime events.

People at WDW certainly do not camp out like they do in Tokyo Disney. It's sadly true that people trample over each other. The most crazy thing is seeing so many people cram into the roped areas to the point that the rope could snap!

Your last sentence gave me this frightening feeling that management might eventually do away with park hopping to Magic Kingdom...you can buy park hoppers but you won't be able to park hop into MK if you start from another park (ah why am I putting this idea out there?!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom