New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

ChrisFL

Premium Member
People at WDW certainly do not camp out like they do in Tokyo Disney. It's sadly true that people trample over each other. The most crazy thing is seeing so many people cram into the roped areas to the point that the rope could snap!

The craziest part of Tokyo Disneyland is the people who sit in their chosen parade spot for the 3:00 parade as soon as the park opens! That's all they do for 6-7 hours is sit and wait for the parade!

Next Big Thing

I planning on getting pics/video of the area when I have time, but this area has been moving along at a much faster pace since the plaza gardens finished. Here's some quick hits about what's going on in the area:

- All of the gates are in place and finished (with the exception of some touch up paint)
- Lots of themed lighting has been and is in the process of being installed
- Road paving has finally picked up again. They are doing it in sections so it'll take some time, but they could get it done fairly quickly if they actually stay with it.
- Major construction to put up more of the green walls that have been seen around the rest of the area (as well as lighting, railings, etc)

So as I said, construction has picked up a lot over the past month or so. That's it for now, i'll try and keep you guys updated as this seems to be a project people don't get too many updates on (as it's only open to guests 3 hours a day at most).

MissM

Well, the point is to make this less of a backstage area and more of an onstage area over time.
As much as I love walking down Main Street, the sad fact is that it's often not only impractical but impossible. I've made use of the bypass when it was open to not simply exit the park but get to-and-from the shops and Tomorrowland. It was open all evening for example for back-and-forth bypass to a [basically closed] Main Street. It was very helpful and having it open more regularly (especially during parades and such) is truly only a good thing for the sanity of guests trying to move around the park.

Next Big Thing

As much as I love walking down Main Street, the sad fact is that it's often not only impractical but impossible. I've made use of the bypass when it was open to not simply exit the park but get to-and-from the shops and Tomorrowland. It was open all evening for example for back-and-forth bypass to a [basically closed] Main Street. It was very helpful and having it open more regularly (especially during parades and such) is truly only a good thing for the sanity of guests trying to move around the park.
Yup. We're always open an hour before MSEP begins until an hour after Wishes. The only time we don't open bypass is if the park is virtually dead (under a specific number of people in the park).

Cmdr_Crimson

Has there been any other news or pics about this lately? It seems that it all went quiet about this...Not that it's anything big..Just Curious on what happend to this..

roj2323

Has there been any other news or pics about this lately? It seems that it all went quiet about this...Not that it's anything big..Just Curious on what happend to this..
They haven't been doing much to it. This could be for any number of reasons. I suspect something is being changed from the original plan or the crews got pulled off the project for something more important. The first thing that comes to mind is the main street building facade refurbishments. When things slow down again they will probably get back to it.

note2001

So with all these crowds, how are the excess people trying to get down main street being handled? Are they still channeled though the Tomorrowland parking area, or is the bypass open even though some walls etc are not finished?

wogwog

So with all these crowds, how are the excess people trying to get down main street being handled? Are they still channeled though the Tomorrowland parking area, or is the bypass open even though some walls etc are not finished?
Bypass is open and in use. I have some friends in town who used it. Still a work in progress according to them. Some more painting is needed and some pavement is new some is old.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Pretty impressive! We're 18 months into the construction of a walkway. And they aren't done yet.

If I were a jerk, this is where I would again mention that Universal built an E Ticket attraction dead center of an operating theme park in 11 months. But I'm not, so I won't.
You do realize that this addition is NOT an E-ticket atnd not even a marketable one for Disney. It's slowly getting there because it's not a priority and nor should it be, especially since the area of concern is still a BOH area for the majority of the day. :rolleyes:

The pavement work should be done soon and the majority of the work is completed. It's nothing special, but it takes time when it's either used for BOH stuff or guests are walking through it. All installed lighting is in use (flood lighting is now turned off finally).

Disneyhead'71

You do realize that this addition is NOT an E-ticket atnd not even a marketable one for Disney. It's slowly getting there because it's not a priority and nor should it be, especially since the area of concern is still a BOH area for the majority of the day. :rolleyes:

The pavement work should be done soon and the majority of the work is completed. It's nothing special, but it takes time when it's either used for BOH stuff or guests are walking through it. All installed lighting is in use (flood lighting is now turned off finally).
It should have been done in six weeks. I'm back there every 4-5 months and am always stunned at how little has been accomplished.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom