New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

Jane Doe

No, it has to do with traffic flow. Its an abysmal cluster trying to get up or down mainstreet during parade/fireworks.

I know how crowded it gets, and I've never even been during peak times, but the only thing that has stopped Main Street being closed off for FP holders and VIPs to have an exclusive front-and-centre view of the fireworks is the fact that it can't be closed off due to access issues. Once guests have an alternative exit the velvet rope can go up.

Bairstow

Sounds like a decent idea.
Is the plan for the pathway to re-merge at the flagpole plaza?

kingdom.png

Bairstow

I know how crowded it gets, and I've never even been during peak times, but the only thing that has stopped Main Street being closed off for FP holders and VIPs to have an exclusive front-and-centre view of the fireworks is the fact that it can't be closed off due to access issues. Once guests have an alternative exit the velvet rope can go up.

I wouldn't be so sure. The parades are one thing, but Disney's not going to want to gridlock this space any longer than necessary.
Main Street is first and foremost a retail corridor. The entire point of this new pathway project is probably to give guests exiting the park a way to do so without disrupting shoppers' ability to move from retail opportunity to retail opportunity. Traditionally, Disney's strategy has been to funnel guests past the shops so that they take one last swipe at their wallets via the emporium. I can only guess that research has shown that past a certain point, crushing crowds on Main Street negatively impact sales.

Marc Gil

Wow, I wish they had come up with this sooner! It has been getting CRAZY these past few years trying to enter and exit the park during the Afternoon parade, MSEP, or the Fireworks.

This shall be an interesting project. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

First, a Fantasyland Expansion
Now, a "Main Street Expansion"?? :eek:

Last edited:

Bairstow

I bet it will be themed to the Interstate System....lots of concrete and nondescript signage.

TDO is not known for spending money on superfluous themeing.

I was thinking more along the lines of a plywood wall on the outer side and false, closed storefronts on the interior wall.
I've been back there twice to enter the utilidoors, and the last time there were some pretty large trucks and cherry pickers moving around in that parking lot area.
Disney's going to want a way to block off these off from sight, but there will still need to be ways for the shops/bakery on that side to be serviced by the trucks and other vehicles, as well as provide vehicle access through the portal to the left of the plaza ice cream parlor. Wooden walls could have hidden gates that could be opened for these purposes, then shut when the corridor is ready for guests.

tl77

This is the path my parents described when they took the back stage exit. It stated next to the Plaza restaurant which has always had a kind of a awkward look anyway. I'm wondering if this new path will connect up mid way at the ally in the middle of Main St. because aren't those buildings on the dead end ally just empty facades?

msusa_walkway2.jpg

Last edited:

devoy1701

A couple thoughts linger....

Will there be back entrances to the stores from this arcade?

How themed is this going to be?

*IF* it is heavily themed, will it be open to crowds all the time?

This.
I doubt it will be themed. Think Fantasmic alternate exit.
and this.

My first thought. Fire everyone who is involved with this idea. Bypass Main Street USA... :banghead:

This is what TDO comes up with? Well let's just get the crowd to bypass MSUSA?! But we've come to expect this...convenience before show. EVERYTHING before show!

How about adopting Disneyland's crowd control techniques?! The road is for standing, the East sidewalk is for people going into the Hub, the West sidewalk is for people leaving the park. IT WORKS PEOPLE! The folks wanting to watch the fireworks are happy because they can camp out in their prime spot, and the crowds buzzing around UNDERSTAND one-way traffic. What they DON'T understand is the chaos that ensues at MK because Park Ops can't grasp crowd control!

Bypass Main Street USA.... :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom