Mystery Project at Epcot

rnese

Love these replies and speculations. You guys have quite the imagination. But that isn't a Dole Whip in the picture...although I just had one with rum earlier today at Epcot :p
Is it frozen Custard? Yes, it's frozen custard! OK...Custard. Ogden Nash wrote a book The Tale of Custard The Dragon. Dragon. HA! Elliot! Pete's Dragon! Whattamaquoddy...Passamawhatty...Quoddamahootie...Passamaquoddy!!!! YES! Dr. Terminus and Hoagy are FINALLY coming to Mainstreet USA! "Can't you hear that jingle jangle sound? (OH YEAH!) It's money, money, money by the pound!"

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I'd be very suprised if Disney didn't have such a "team"

Yeah, later on in the thread I clarified I was more thinking of an expansion centric team. They could have a general fund for Future World and then figure out how many rides they want. See what they need to finish that budget and seek out corporations to help innovate ride concepts and sponsor part of the costs.

A great example of innovative sponsorship is Raetheon Sum of All Thrills. That's a minor attraction that fits perfectly in innoventions but it worth seeing.

WDW1974

I would have to agree. On the recent trips I have taken it seems that most of the guest are in WS. Its like they know that there is nothing worth seeing in FW except maybe Soarin and Test Track which they probably did at park opening. EPCOT is two parks in one and as of right now only one of the two parks is working.

Yep. so different from the 80s and 90s. I recall spending the entire day in FW and only heading toward WS at dinner. You could spend hours in pavilions like Imagination, Land, WoL, Seas, Communicore etc ... now, it's sorta a lot of nicely landscaped space and big buildings.

WDW1974

Yes I do know what World Showcase is about, however the 80s way of doing things doesn't work for today's Epcot. Character tie ins can work for the attractions and should be utilized when possible. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it fact. World showcase needs family friendly attractions that appeal to everyone in the family. The current films doesn't appeal to the majority of the guest population.

Really? Because in the 80s people didn't rush out of FW after grabbing a FP for Soarin and riding TT and SSE because they felt they had seen it all.

Everything at WDW doesn't have to have a character tie-in or appeal to a special needs four-year-old. That is dumbing the product down to a LCD level. World Showcase always was meant to appeal to adults and teens than youngsters. I certainly think it could use some family friendly attractions, but only if they fit the purpose of the pavilion. France's pavilion is all about the history, music, food and culture of an amazing nation. It isn't about a toon rat who enjoys cooking.

As to the films, are you speaking for everyone with that?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Really? Because in the 80s people didn't rush out of FW after grabbing a FP for Soarin and riding TT and SSE because they felt they had seen it all.

I think you've hit upon a problem with the resort as a whole...FP has created a different mentality. Whenever, FW comes up nowadays, I find myself wondering about the details in all the pavilions. Is there ever a chance the Radok blocks on UoE will turn again? Could they return the UoE finale to a shadow of its former glory? Will the second floor of Imagination ever be used for anything? Will the WoL pavilion ever be used for anything? Like many, I would really like a Horizons mach II kind of thing, but I know it will never come to fruition. However, I would think another longish, well done dark ride in the middle of a cool pavilion would help with line lengths and the rush around like madmen mentality.

BTW, when I read your post I wondered how many equate LCD with lowest common denominator and how many were thinking of computer and television monitors.

misterID

I think you've hit upon a problem with the resort as a whole...FP has created a different mentality. Whenever, FW comes up nowadays, I find myself wondering about the details in all the pavilions. Is there ever a chance the Radok blocks on UoE will turn again? Could they return the UoE finale to a shadow of its former glory? Will the second floor of Imagination ever be used for anything? Will the WoL pavilion ever be used for anything? Like many, I would really like a Horizons mach II kind of thing, but I know it will never come to fruition. However, I would think another longish, well done dark ride in the middle of a cool pavilion would help with line lengths and the rush around like madmen mentality.

BTW, when I read your post I wondered how many equate LCD with lowest common denominator and how many were thinking of computer and television monitors.

It all depends on the sponsorship of the pavilions. You look at some of the Science Centers I used to go to and kids (and by that, I mean ADD teens, tweens) still can't take their hands off all of the things to mess with, because it's interesting and its a cool offering, no matter how basic. That's the thing, you have to offer it. Can you imagine what they could do with Imagination and IW with Crayola or Apple? Not to mention the merch possibilites with the former. Can you imagine what Disney and Richard Branson could do with an actual SPACE pavilion with an updated interactive, immersive Horizons (you know, the ride that touched on each of Branson's obsessions sans Desert living) if Virgin sponsored it? Hell, dust off some of the ideas from the Ray Bradbury days. I still believe a "Mission To Mars" version of Space Mountain (SM mission 3, if you will) in Future World would be HUGE for EPCOT. Ever see Space Fantasy in UNI Japan? That's a real EPCOT coaster if there ever was one, that would only need some of the rich, sophisticated edutainment old school EPCOT tweaks to put it over the top.

There are tons of possibilties to upgrade EPCOT and FW that would still hold true to its heritage, original purpose and still keep it relevant. They just need the people who want to do it. And I think they're out there. Somone needs to make the effort to bring them into the fold.

And whenever I read LSD I instantly think of the original Imagination. ;)

jrogue

Love these replies and speculations. You guys have quite the imagination. But that isn't a Dole Whip in the picture...although I just had one with rum earlier today at Epcot :p

Isn't there some sort of ice cream shop opening up in France where the bakery used to be? Is that what that was? o_O

Witchy Chick

World Showcase is nothing more than a place to drink and eat. While I enjoy it, I hear families all the time complain that there isn't anything for the kids to do. I'm not saying that every attraction needs to have a character tie in, however the current attraction line up in World Showcase isn't enough and doesn't appeal to the majority.

If there is not "anything for kids to do" in WS, perhaps parents should not take them there.

Knowing that there was not a lot geared toward my 3 and 4.5 year-olds when we went in Jan, we spent very little time in WS. Breakfast in Norway, a nice surprise character meeting on the way to Rose and Crown for lunch and I think that was it. We spent some additional time in FW, but not a lot (a couple visits to The Seas for Nemo and Turtle Talk (but that was more for me ;)), dinner at Garden Grill, a couple of us grownups got to ride Test Track, and we all rode SSE). Due to this being the kids' first visit, the bulk of our time was spent in MK.

Once the kiddos are older and can appreciate a little more being taught about/immersed in different cultures and experiences, WS might be a "new" experience for them (if it's not completely dumbed down by then).

aladdin2007

Isn't there some sort of ice cream shop opening up in France where the bakery used to be? Is that what that was? o_O

yeah a new icecream/gelato shop, I imagine it should be ready before summer. Though with the new bakery in the back there is still an issue of not enough tables and space, the foot traffic back there is horrendous all the time now.

Wikkler

This is me being overtly hopeful, but
  1. Australia pavillion NOW!
  2. Revamp Future World into that thing that they talked about once.... Was it called Project Gemini? ;)
  3. DO SOMETHING WITH WOL

ThemeParks4Life

I'm hopeful that it's not Impressions de France. While I think portions of the film do look dated, it's still a beautiful film and I fear that redoing it would lead to it being dumbed down (sad that we have to fear that). Plus, I think Epcot has far, far more pressing problems.

I HIGHLY doubt Impressions de France is this project. It would be a wasted opportunity to get rid of EO or fix Energy.

Grumpy1973

Hmm... Wilderness Explorer is AK, Boysenberry Preserves has to do with the Mine Train, (The Boysenberry Pie Snow White makes), New seating for the castle show, DHS Parking, Dole Whip or Ice Cream of Sorts and... the last one reminds me of the Poly...Some sort of expansion?
Benches in the hub.... Please, NO

baymenxpac

Yes I do know what World Showcase is about, however the 80s way of doing things doesn't work for today's Epcot. Character tie ins can work for the attractions and should be utilized when possible. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it fact. World showcase needs family friendly attractions that appeal to everyone in the family. The current films doesn't appeal to the majority of the guest population.

well, first off: pot..kettle..black. just cause you DO want something, doesn't mean it should happen.

also, thematically, yes some things are "wrong." character overlays don't fit everywhere. exhibit A: showcase, world.

World Showcase is nothing more than a place to drink and eat. While I enjoy it, I hear families all the time complain that there isn't anything for the kids to do. I'm not saying that every attraction needs to have a character tie in, however the current attraction line up in World Showcase isn't enough and doesn't appeal to the majority.

oh well, if every family in america doesn't like it, then just gut it!

truthfully, that's what disney has been doing for the last 20 years. if it doesn't appeal to the masses, kill it for something that does. your 6 year old thinks the seas are boring? no prob, throw some animated fish in there.

forget theme, forget show, forget the soul of WDW; it's an awful business plan. when i was a kid, i never liked EPCOT days as much as MK days. but i was freakin' 8. i wouldn't say i had a refined cultural palette. you evolve as a human being. your kids aren't always going to be 8, and you're not always going to be tired, worn down, and happy to just appease them. eventually, it's a larger cognitive leap for kids to get all mushy gushy about mickey and donald and goofy. and when that happens, disney has to retain them as guests (read: customers). so you try to create an environment where they have something else to grow into. it's what WDW was so good at in the '80s and early '90s. i've said this about a trillion times, but go back and look at WDW resort marketing in the early '90s. it's all about having something for everyone. for beating back that stereotypical, "disney? AGAIN? but what else is there to DO there?" that you'd get from your friends.

if you create a place that only appeals to the modern mass american family (no pun intended), you cut the brand off at its knees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom