Marvel Land in DCA?

SSG

So this guy on Theme Park Insider said

the Hyperion Theater, Animation Building, Red Car Trolley, and other stores and restaurants along the main section of the land will remain Hollywood themed.

Which seems problematic because, IIRC, the Red Car enters the park from backstage from the area behind ToT. This would still have the Red Car going past the re-themed Tower and into HollywoodLand.
Red Car Trolley.jpg

Earl Sweatpants

…Marvel Land is being added solely because Disney wants to get the IP into the parks where they can use it, not because DCA really needs it. The land is being done on a lower budget than Star Wars Land or Cars Land and consists of cheaper reskinned attractions rather than anything truly unique in case the MCU collapses in phase four (as some are predicting may happen).

This is the most telling piece of information relevant to the whole thing. Also the saddest.

SSG

This is the most telling piece of information relevant to the whole thing. Also the saddest.
That's mostly true, but I'd disagree that DCA doesn't need something--not necessarily Marvel, maybe, but something--to drive traffic to DCA. This will become critical when Star Wars opens across the way.

Earl Sweatpants

That's mostly true, but I'd disagree that DCA doesn't need something--not necessarily Marvel, maybe, but something--to drive traffic to DCA. This will become critical when Star Wars opens across the way.

I was mostly referring to the apparent "cheapness" approach they're taking. No doubt, DCA needs some love, especially in the wake of SWL...but this move just feels like slapping a fancy bandaid on a broken leg to provide some immediate distraction from the pain.

Mike S

Does anyone know of AJ Hummel, who posts regularly on Theme Park Insider? What is his reputation for insider scoop? There is thread there on a possible Marvel Land and he had some comments on ‘things he has heard.’

Disney is currently working on a full Marvel Land for Disney California Adventure Park, with the goal of having the land open in 2021 to celebrate the park's 20th anniversary. There have been hints at the project in a few Disney announcements recently, and an official announcement will likely occur at the next D23.

As the project is still several years out, plans are subject to change. However, from what I've heard the area will be taking over half of Hollywood Land as well as a portion of the transportation hub. Monsters, Inc., the former Muppets theater, and everything else in that corner of Hollywood Land will be reused or replaced while the Hyperion Theater, Animation Building, Red Car Trolley, and other stores and restaurants along the main section of the land will remain Hollywood themed. For new attractions, I've heard the main rides will be a copy of the Tron coaster themed to Captain America and a copy of the Iron Man Experience modified to take place in Los Angeles. Additionally, there may be a smaller ride of some sort, possibly a Marvel show, a meet and greet area, and probably a restaurant and one or two stores. The land will likely be smaller than Cars Land and Star Wars Land, but should still be a decent size.

Q: So basically, there will be a Captain America ride, and an Iron Man ride? Will the Iron Man Experience be the same as the one as Hong Kong Disneyland?

A: that's what it sounds like from what I've heard. It makes the most sense as Captain America and Iron Man are the most popular MCU characters. From what I heard, the Iron Man Experience will be very similar to the Hong Kong version but modified to take place in Los Angeles.

…. from the description I heard it sounded like the area would wrap around the backside of the Hyperion Theater, with one entrance in front of the animation building and the other next to Tower of Terror. The Iron Man Experience is likely going in the Monsters, Inc. building, but I don't know where the Captain America coaster is going (though I could see it being placed on the parking lot behind Tower of Terror)….

….it is possible that the coaster is the element running behind the theater. The information I heard was not very specific on where everything would be, just the general footprint of the land and what major elements it would contain. I do know that Disney is trying to add their IP lands in a way that they can be completely ignored by those not interested in the IP, so absorbing the Hyperion Theater seems unlikely. However, it makes the most sense to do that and just have the street in front be part of Marvel Land….

…Marvel Land is being added solely because Disney wants to get the IP into the parks where they can use it, not because DCA really needs it. The land is being done on a lower budget than Star Wars Land or Cars Land and consists of cheaper reskinned attractions rather than anything truly unique in case the MCU collapses in phase four (as some are predicting may happen). Will it be a worthwhile addition to the park? That remains to be seen, but I have a feeling it will be extremely popular either way…

…I don't know any of the numbers, but by lower budget I'm assuming Marvel Land will probably be more like $300 million vs. the $500 million of Cars Land or $1 billion of Star Wars Land.
v0065_s-200x150.gif

large_DSCF0334-e.JPG

Since 1999*
Lol. I'm just trying to picture what an Avengers dining experience would be. Maybe what pinnochio is to the Village Hause without any of the European village charm? Now we can get a Nasty burger with murals of the avengers to look at.
5459408_700b-the-schawarma-scene-is-jpeg-43118.jpg

Suspirian

I find that kinda odd. "Theres no Marvel in the parks? BUILD AN ENTIRE LAND!!!" Couldn't they have just done the captain america attraction and called it a day since its the only one out of these ideas that actually fits? The tot retheme and the Iron Man attraction sound like throw aways anyways.

D

Deleted member 107043

Which seems problematic because, IIRC, the Red Car enters the park from backstage from the area behind ToT. This would still have the Red Car going past the re-themed Tower and into HollywoodLand.

Any chance the ToT transformation might be temporary, kind of like SoTF?

SSG

Any chance the ToT transformation might be temporary, kind of like SoTF?
I wouldn’t mind that, really, but I kinda doubt it based on how long it will take to convert ToT. What we know from the announcement is ToT will close for the conversion in January 2017 and re-open in summer 2017. That’s at least 6 months and maybe as much 8 months being spent on this change. This sounds like it will be much more than an easily removed overlay like SotF or HMH.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom