Marvel Land in DCA?

Old Mouseketeer

The time periods are the same but locations are not. In fact, they have no common connection location wise like the rest of the MCU. Maybe that will change with the upcoming film but the TOT redo is not an earth based building.
Time periods and locations? Seriously? IT'S NOT REAL! How many times and places are represented in Fantasyland or on the Rivers of America? IT'S AN AMUSEMENT PARK! When I enter NO Square, I know I'm not actually IN New Orleans. For one thing, I can't get a drink. Plus it doesn't stink. And the streets curve. Streets in the real French Quarter are laid out in straight lines--just ask the NO City Controller who tried to run for mayor with a picture of NO Square behind her superimposed image. Good times.

I like a good immersive experience as much as the next person. Walking into Radiator Springs is wonderful. Diagon Alley is mind-blowing. But I have no problem jumping from the Mark Twain, to Pirates, to Pooh.

Suspirian

Time periods and locations? Seriously? IT'S NOT REAL! How many times and places are represented in Fantasyland or on the Rivers of America? IT'S AN AMUSEMENT PARK! When I enter NO Square, I know I'm not actually IN New Orleans. For one thing, I can't get a drink. Plus it doesn't stink. And the streets curve. Streets in the real French Quarter are laid out in straight lines--just ask the NO City Controller who tried to run for mayor with a picture of NO Square behind her superimposed image. Good times.

I like a good immersive experience as much as the next person. Walking into Radiator Springs is wonderful. Diagon Alley is mind-blowing. But I have no problem jumping from the Mark Twain, to Pirates, to Pooh.

That wasn't the point

truecoat

I'm talking about a cohesive theme of the Marvel mini land. GOTG has Marvel characters but their locations don't really fit with what you'd build for Iron Man or Captain America. If you had a section that had Thor in Asgard, some weird Dr. Strange dimension and GOTG, that would fit better thematically.

SSG

MiceChat had this in their rumor update today:

As we’d told you in July’s update, weeks before Disney released those planning documents, the long term plan is to use most of the space currently occupied by bus loading zones for DCA park expansion. You don’t spend tens of millions of dollars on a rerouted monorail beam for nothing, after all. And remember, this section is the beam added to the Disneyland Hotel in 1961 that was left completely untouched by DCA’s initial construction in the late 1990’s. Which is why Disney is remaining so hush-hush about the monorail reroute, because it would clearly signal a major change to that Hollywood Backlot part of DCA.

This DCA expansion is the next big push to use all that money Bob Chapek, Bob Iger and Disney’s Board of Directors is now willing to send to Anaheim, to get the neglected Marvel properties permanently into a Disney theme park. The recent shakeup and layoffs at WDI are also part of this Chapek plan, as the senior WDI execs recently let go were known mostly for the long list of concepts they kept in Blue Sky development phases but that they never managed to get built in a park. The new WDI execs have been tasked with picking top creative prospects and then making a business case and getting them actually built in a park, not just destined for a glossy coffee table book sold to a few fans. That the Disneyland Resort is currently the top performing theme park property on the books means those winning ideas are coming to Anaheim first.

The Hollywood Backlot area has been a hodgepodge of unrelated concepts and cheap ideas since its inception in 2001, and time has not been kind to this sleepy and unattractive corner of DCA. Luckily help is on the way in the form of big budget attractions and a dramatic re-use and expanded footprint of this part of DCA. Think along the lines of the aesthetic transformation the original park entry and Sun Plaza got to become Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle, with the big budget rides and showmanship of Cars Land, and you’ll understand the scope of what WDI and TDA are currently planning here.

http://micechat.com/136176-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-monorail/

SSG

This too.

The longer term proposal is to retire the Pixar parade on October 31st and replace it with a Marvel parade after the opening of the Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! attraction, as part of the marketing plan to connect Marvel with DCA in the minds of tourists and locals. The trigger hasn’t been pulled on a new parade for DCA yet, but it’s a plan that is gaining steam in TDA.

Phroobar

Think along the lines of the aesthetic transformation the original park entry and Sun Plaza got to become Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle, with the big budget rides and showmanship of Cars Land, and you’ll understand the scope of what WDI and TDA are currently planning here.

If it really does look aesthetic pleasing and have high quality rides I'm all for it. As long as it doesn't look like something Universal/Six Flags would do with giant flats of super heroes on them.

CanadianGordon

I'm all for a proper Marvel land, but I understand the big logistical challenges that would require.
I am hopeful we will get proper news soon. Let's get the fans excited. Please do it right Disney.

Earl Sweatpants

Curious to see how they'll finally make the Backlot area cohesive and sensical...and glad it sounds like they're gonna stick all that Marvel stuff behind the Tower into that parking lot area.

Mike S

As we’d told you in July’s update, weeks before Disney released those planning documents, the long term plan is to use most of the space currently occupied by bus loading zones for DCA park expansion. You don’t spend tens of millions of dollars on a rerouted monorail beam for nothing, after all. And remember, this section is the beam added to the Disneyland Hotel in 1961 that was left completely untouched by DCA’s initial construction in the late 1990’s. Which is why Disney is remaining so hush-hush about the monorail reroute, because it would clearly signal a major change to that Hollywood Backlot part of DCA.

This DCA expansion is the next big push to use all that money Bob Chapek, Bob Iger and Disney’s Board of Directors is now willing to send to Anaheim, to get the neglected Marvel properties permanently into a Disney theme park. The recent shakeup and layoffs at WDI are also part of this Chapek plan, as the senior WDI execs recently let go were known mostly for the long list of concepts they kept in Blue Sky development phases but that they never managed to get built in a park. The new WDI execs have been tasked with picking top creative prospects and then making a business case and getting them actually built in a park, not just destined for a glossy coffee table book sold to a few fans. That the Disneyland Resort is currently the top performing theme park property on the books means those winning ideas are coming to Anaheim first.

The Hollywood Backlot area has been a hodgepodge of unrelated concepts and cheap ideas since its inception in 2001, and time has not been kind to this sleepy and unattractive corner of DCA. Luckily help is on the way in the form of big budget attractions and a dramatic re-use and expanded footprint of this part of DCA. Think along the lines of the aesthetic transformation the original park entry and Sun Plaza got to become Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle, with the big budget rides and showmanship of Cars Land, and you’ll understand the scope of what WDI and TDA are currently planning here.

http://micechat.com/136176-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-monorail/
And when WDW was top dog? Whole lotta nuthin'. Obvious favoritism is obvious.
This too.

The longer term proposal is to retire the Pixar parade on October 31st and replace it with a Marvel parade after the opening of the Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! attraction, as part of the marketing plan to connect Marvel with DCA in the minds of tourists and locals. The trigger hasn’t been pulled on a new parade for DCA yet, but it’s a plan that is gaining steam in TDA.
Really wondering how they would do this. Marvel and parade doesn't really mesh well imo.
If it really does look aesthetic pleasing and have high quality rides I'm all for it. As long as it doesn't look like something Universal/Six Flags would do with giant flats of super heroes on them.
I would hope for a ride as good as or better than Spider-Man first and foremost but that's just me.

SSG

Curious to see how they'll finally make the Backlot area cohesive and sensical...and glad it sounds like they're gonna stick all that Marvel stuff behind the Tower into that parking lot area.
I don't think they're saying that. The article says:

the long term plan is to use most of the space currently occupied by bus loading zones for DCA park expansion.

Which puts expansion north of Monsters Inc and Stage 17 and east of the Esplanade.

SSG

This area is what they seem to be saying
Screenshot (3).png

Earl Sweatpants

I don't think they're saying that. The article says:

the long term plan is to use most of the space currently occupied by bus loading zones for DCA park expansion.

Which puts expansion north of Monsters Inc and Stage 17 and east of the Esplanade.

My mistake...I read this on the full MC update:
This construction will begin soon with scaffolding going up on the sides and back end of the Tower of Terror, while the ride continues to operate with an uncovered front side through the end of this year. The back side will be heavily rethemed as the eventual plan is to expand DCA into the parking lot between it and the Cars Land area. Future park visitors will ultimately be able to walk around the west and south facing sides of the Guardians attraction, so WDI is going far beyond the plain walls that Paul Pressler approved for construction in his rushed panic to get Tower of Terror into a failing DCA in the early 2000’s.

Thought they meant that was for Marvel land.

SSG

My mistake...I read this on the full MC update:
This construction will begin soon with scaffolding going up on the sides and back end of the Tower of Terror, while the ride continues to operate with an uncovered front side through the end of this year. The back side will be heavily rethemed as the eventual plan is to expand DCA into the parking lot between it and the Cars Land area. Future park visitors will ultimately be able to walk around the west and south facing sides of the Guardians attraction, so WDI is going far beyond the plain walls that Paul Pressler approved for construction in his rushed panic to get Tower of Terror into a failing DCA in the early 2000’s.

Thought they meant that was for Marvel land.
I think some of that area behind Tot will have to be Marvel as well

Earl Sweatpants

I think some of that area behind Tot will have to be Marvel as well

Its probably because the language in the article was so vague, but I'm still a bit fuzzy...so they're going to re-theme the Backlot Area with big budget attractions and a dramatic re-use and expanded footprint of this part of DCA...And use the expansion space for Marvel land...or are they saying the Backlot Area will become Marvel land and also eventually include the area behind the Tower?

SSG

Its probably because the language in the article was so vague, but I'm still a bit fuzzy...so they're going to re-theme the Backlot Area with big budget attractions and a dramatic re-use and expanded footprint of this part of DCA...And use the expansion space for Marvel land...or are they saying the Backlot Area will become Marvel land and also eventually include the area behind the Tower?

So how big will the Marvel area be? If MiceChat’s rumor report is correct, pretty big. Maybe much bigger than we thought. MiceChat reported today:

The long term plan is to use most of the space currently occupied by bus loading zones for DCA park expansion.

And as you point out, they also say:

The back side will be heavily rethemed as the eventual plan is to expand DCA into the parking lot between it and the Cars Land area.

A while back I had a random thought that the Marvel expansion would perhaps go from behind ToT, continue behind the Hyperion, and then into the north side of HWL. But what if Marvel is taking the area behind ToT as well? This would be huge.
Screenshot (5).png

Earl Sweatpants

So how big will the Marvel area be? If MiceChat’s rumor report is correct, pretty big. Maybe much bigger than we thought. MiceChat reported today:

The long term plan is to use most of the space currently occupied by bus loading zones for DCA park expansion.

And as you point out, they also say:

The back side will be heavily rethemed as the eventual plan is to expand DCA into the parking lot between it and the Cars Land area.

A while back I had a random thought that the Marvel expansion would perhaps go from behind ToT, continue behind the Hyperion, and then into the north side of HWL. But what if Marvel is taking the area behind ToT as well? This would be huge.
View attachment 158257

Consider me skeptical, but it seems strange to have what would in essence be two small "land" related areas connected by a bit of road behind the theatre. I think people going from Marvel area A (north end by the Backlot) to Marvel area B (Tower, and surrounding land) could just as easily use the walkway in front of the Hyperion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom