Marvel Land in DCA?

Phroobar

That is a weird looking land.

2016-08-30%2011_17_57-Disneyland%20Park%20-%20Google%20Maps_zps1nrke5v7.png

Phroobar

Consider me skeptical, but it seems strange to have what would in essence be two small "land" related areas connected by a bit of road behind the theatre. I think people going from Marvel area A (north end by the Backlot) to Marvel area B (Tower, and surrounding land) could just as easily use the walkway in front of the Hyperion.
I seem to think the new land was going all the way to the fence.

SSG

Consider me skeptical, but it seems strange to have what would in essence be two small "land" related areas connected by a bit of road behind the theatre. I think people going from Marvel area A (north end by the Backlot) to Marvel area B (Tower, and surrounding land) could just as easily use the walkway in front of the Hyperion.
I take your point, but what if this is way to keep some part of HWL intact while enclosing Marvel Land into its own unique Land?

It is but this is what I'm starting to thing will happen. Have the buildings and scenery facing south on Hollywood Blvd continue to be old Hollywood themed. This creates separation between Marvel Land and HWL and allows the same view as you make the turn from BVS.

Marvel Land is given an entrance at HWL, but the land itself also goes south in what is currently backstage, behind the Hyperion and to the backside of the Tower, where additional Marvel stuff goes into the lot behind ToT. Another entrance to Marvel Land is in this area.

This also allows the Red Car to continue to operate in old Hollywood

Last edited:

Earl Sweatpants

I take your point, but what if this is way to keep some part of HWL intact while enclosing Marvel Land into its own unique Land?
What I'm

It is but this is what I'm starting to thing will happen. Have the buildings and scenery facing south on Hollywood Blvd continue to be old Hollywood themed. This creates separation between Marvel Land and HWL and allows the same view as you make the turn from BVS.

Marvel Land is given an entrance at HWL, but the land itself also goes south in what is currently backstage, behind the Hyperion and to the backside of the Tower, where additional Marvel stuff goes into the lot behind ToT. Another entrance to Marvel Land is in this area.

This also allows the Red Car to continue to operate in old Hollywood

I guess...we'll have to wait and see. Still, from the aerial standpoint it sure seems odd.

Phroobar

Makes me wonder if the Marvel land includes the Muppets building or is that were Mickey Mouse ride goes? I would put Mickey in the green box with a old Hollywood facade facing Hollywood Blvd.

2016-08-30%2011_17_57-Disneyland%20Park%20-%20Google%20Maps_zpsbonfflet.png

Last edited:

britain

I don't think you'll be able to go behind Hyperion. I think we're talking about separate expansions. Or rather, Hollywood is being replaced altogether.

I'm thinking... Hollywood Blvd area becomes 1940's Captain America area. Moving north, it transitions to modern day New York for something Spider-Man / Iron Man related. Moving South, it becomes otherworldly with GotG, Doctor Strange, Thor etc.

Phroobar

If they are closing off the gate at harbor and Disney Way the road won't be used anymore. That gives plenty of space behind the Hyperion for facades and walkway. Miceage does talk about extending the park all the way to fence.

NobodyElse

Agreed.

But remember, they are likely not extending guest accessible nor backstage all the way east to Harbor (where your red line is). That Other drawing shows "Disney Shuttle Drop-off" and "Disney Cast Drop-off" utilizing much of that eastern area. They also won't be able to infringe much on that access road that connects to Disneyland via tunnel. Combine that with my hunch that they will desire to keep literal "Backstage Access" to the Hyperion (and not have the theater completely surrounded by guest area) and I'm led to believe there won't be a lot of usable space to connect the north and south areas.

Much of the wording we are seeing is vague. I think it's safe to say that DCA will be expanding north into the old shuttle/bus area, and south of the TOT (and probably a bit east of that area, at least for backstage use). How they'll really be using those areas is what has us wondering.

Figments Friend

Looking at this, it seems to me that the smart thing to do would be to bulldoze the Hyperion Theater.
That would open up that area between these two plots and make more sense.
Much better flow to the area for crowds, and also more space for the expansion.

Of course, losing the theater would be a shame as DCA should have a venue for live staged performances.
And the inside of the Hyperion is beautiful.
Outside....eh...not so nice.

If the theater needed to go, I hope it gets 'rebuilt' within this new area or staged productions get 'moved' somewhere else within the Park.
It would be a loss to lose the theater, but it's placement here within the context of the expansion is unfortunate.
It is 'in the way'....!

-

D

Deleted member 107043

If they removed the Hyperion I'd be shocked. Especially if there were no plans to rebuild the facility elsewhere at the Resort.

Californian Elitist

And the inside of the Hyperion is beautiful.
Outside....eh...not so nice.

That's because it was inspired by the movie palaces on Broadway Street in Downtown Los Angeles, specifically the Los Angeles Theatre. None of the 12 theaters in the district are particularly nice-looking on the outside. I've seen a few of their interiors, and they're gorgeous, including the Los Angeles. I've been inside the Orpheum as well, both of which aren't too far from being a century old.

The Los Angeles:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Orpheum:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Hyperion has nothing on those 85 and 90 year-old beauties!

Phroobar

I wonder then if there would be an ally way between the two areas behind the theater. I wish they would dress up the inside of the theater. I hate the way the walls look like an unfinished sound stage with the chicken wire. Disney could do much better at making it feel like an actual broadway theater.

BrianLo

I don't know if I'd for sure bet the South plot will be used for Marvel. Seems very much a far out plan right now, especially since the North plot seems to have morphed into multiple attractions.

But, an Earth-based section in the North and a Space-based one in the South would work well without physically needing to touch. When the South plot does get used I assume Bugs Land will also be consumed.

D

Deleted member 107043

I wonder then if there would be an ally way between the two areas behind the theater. I wish they would dress up the inside of the theater. I hate the way the walls look like an unfinished sound stage with the chicken wire. Disney could do much better at making it feel like an actual broadway theater.

I think there's good reason for this: it gives them the flexibility to dress up the space in various ways depending on the production, something that is much more difficult to do with a interiors like the ones Raven posted.

Phroobar

I think there's good reason for this: it gives them the flexibility to dress up the space in various ways depending on the production, something that is much more difficult to do with a interiors like the ones Raven posted.
The first time they ever dressed it up was for Frozen. Aladdin's walls always looked Pressler cheap.

D

Deleted member 107043

The first time they ever dressed it up was for Frozen. Aladdin's walls always looked Pressler cheap

Well sure, but I assume that incorporating flexibility into the design was the intention from the beginning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom