Astro Orbiter refurbishment dates set for summer 2014

Goofnut1980

It looks so odd with nothing there! I didn't think they would remove the whole ride from the center. But that is why its taking 3 months to complete!

Would be nice to see the blue all around TL replaced with that red!

WDWLover#1

I still dont really get what they're doing. Are they replacing it fully and if so why, was the old one dangerous and not working? If they're repainting it is this part of a larger re do overall for tomorrowland? I'm just confused at this in general :confused:

roj2323

my guess is they are doing a complete rebuild of the ride and they found something they did not like during the teardown (stress crack perhaps) so they had to order/manufacture a replacement part which they did not originally plan for.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I still dont really get what they're doing. Are they replacing it fully and if so why, was the old one dangerous and not working? If they're repainting it is this part of a larger re do overall for tomorrowland? I'm just confused at this in general :confused:
As far as I know its a structural overhaul of the base structure that includes a lot of (scheduled anyway) TLC to the ride system and decor. Do it all in one go.

Once its open, pay attention to the structure of the building underneath. A ground floor cafe, two cantilevered load bearing decks both with individual ride systems, a rotating loading platform, twin speed ramps in the centre penetrating the lower deck.... It's a feat of engineering today let alone in 1974. George.M did good but its a building that needs attention now and then.

kbmb

So at one point the people mover was reopening August 21st (if I recall correctly). Is that still the plan as of now?

Right now it's listed as reopening Aug 4th.

It's always been listed as reopening before the AO.....so hopefully the extension on the AO won't impact the TTA.

-Kevin

BrianV

Right now it's listed as reopening Aug 4th.

It's always been listed as reopening before the AO.....so hopefully the extension on the AO won't impact the TTA.

-Kevin

Thanks, Kevin! That is good to know as it is one of my favorite relaxing rides. I could have sworn I saw it reopening later than the 4th so I am quite pleased!

kbmb

Thanks, Kevin! That is good to know as it is one of my favorite relaxing rides. I could have sworn I saw it reopening later than the 4th so I am quite pleased!

I have my fingers crossed as well as we'll be there 8/12-8/19.

All three of these sites still list it as 8/4.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/refurbishments.htm
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/rehab.htm
http://allears.net/tp/rehabs.htm

So since the AO rehab has always been listed beyond that, hopefully one doesn't have anything to do with the other.

We ride the TTA multiple times a trip.

-Kevin

Yert3

Does anyone on here know why the planets were removed in the first place and the ones that stayed stop spinning? And will they be returning after this refurb?

rct247

Astro Orbiter gets a major refurb/rebuild about every 10 years to make sure the attraction is in proper condition down to the nuts and bolts. It will also be getting some fresh paint and cosmetic refreshing. The platform, ride console, upper queue cover, and elevators are getting some TLC too. From my sources, the planets are an issue because the motors that move the planets are designed to sit horizontal or vertical, but the attraction uses them at an angle. The motors therefore wear out after a while. There is a chance that the planets may return but they may not spin again. Astro Orbiter lost half of its planets in late 2011.

The majority of the rest of the refurb is to tackle the structure. The structure was not is its best condition and thus the work needed to be done otherwise, that structure would not survive another 40 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom