2014 Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party dates and tickets now on sale

note2001

Hmm..Well I have to say this is probably a new low for these "premiere events". At least with the previous ones were held after hours and did not require theme park admission. Paying $100 on top of MNSSHP admission? Eh idk, but I'm sure some of those upper-class visiting guests will be willing to shell the extra money out.

I doubt that the American-based upper class visits Disney theme parks often, well not the ones in the US that is.
The target market seems to be those who have a larger vacation budget per person than say a family of 4. Perhaps those who are young & have few obligations or have grown children, or even those folk who are taking a few moments to get off to the parks alone while the kids are back in the room with a sitter. I'd really like to hear from those who go to these events what percentage of the attendees are families with children between 3-16. And of those, how many children did they have?

Another benefit- people who are willing to pay $100 for desserts are often the people who feel entitled to things like getting the best spot for the parade or fireworks. This will keep them occupied for a bit while the sensible, polite people enjoy themselves for a bit.

I wouldn't exclude these people from the group of guests who will pay extra for parties, but I wouldn't go as far as to allege that they're often these type people. It might shock you to open your eyes and take a count. Disney World guests are often nice, polite people, who like everyone else just want to have some fun. There is a very small percentage of rude, self serving guests - but they do seem to make themselves stand out and to be more numerous than they actually are.

Last edited:

DoctorDisney

Another benefit- people who are willing to pay $100 for desserts are often the people who feel entitled to things like getting the best spot for the parade or fireworks. This will keep them occupied for a bit while the sensible, polite people enjoy themselves for a bit.

How is this just for someone that "feels entitled" or someone that is not polite? That makes no sense whatsoever. I go to MNSSHP at least 4-5 times a year and enjoy myself tremendously and plan on doing the new Villains Soiree as an enjoyable new addition. I want to check it out and see how it is and it sounds like fun to me...the dessert party that is.

Just as I did for the Frozen premium package once and Star Wars premium package once. To try them out and enjoy them, which I did.

Why shouldn't someone purchase something if they want to have it or try it out? I'm not well off, but I spend my money on things I want to enjoy. Not that I - or anyone - should need an explanation as to how they spend their money.

A rather ridiculous statement you have made.

lebeau

No it isn't. If you don't want to do this don't do it and then don't pay. An optional addon to a product is not a cash grab because it's optional.

You have a very narrow definition of a cash grab. When is a business transaction ever anything but optional? By your definition, what would ever qualify as a cash grab short of literal highway robbery?

DoctorDisney

What a lot of people fail to realize or think about is that the premium packages for Star Wars and Frozen were $54 and $59 respectively. Add on top of that a park ticket which is $94 so you're looking at $148 and $153. Sometimes, the park was only open 10 or so hours.

MNSSHP is $62 for a ticket and then $99 for the Soiree so you're looking at $15-20 more with tax and all that for 4pm - 1am.

I mean...yeah, it's not always the same depending on APs or multiple-day park tickets, etc...but they're somewhat similar. I just don't see the big deal here. Also, if you don't want to spend the $99 after buying a party ticket, cool deal. You'll still enjoy. If you want to spend the extra cash, also cool deal. You'll enjoy the extras.

Don't think anyone is in the wrong either way.

wannabeBelle

The Cash grab I see is that how long will it be before the "average" guest thinks that unless they purchase this additional ticket or that additional event, I will be missing out on a premium vacation experience for me and my family. It is about more of a carnival kind of atmosphere, upcharge for everything possible, as opposed to a more all inclusive, no nickel and dime kind of thing going on here. You pay one price and everyone inside gets the same experience. I am not adverse to some premium events, provided that it does not take away from the overall guest experience. In this case, it just seems to be changing the value of the party itself ( again real or perceived) as well as a regular park type of admission to make it not as valued in people's minds. Marie

bgraham34

Call it what you want, but a premium on top of a party ticket is a cash grab. If people want to pay it, then they can pay it. I am not, and it won't change how much fun we will have anyways.

I agree with you 100%. Its a cash Grab. This is an extra ticketed event and they want you to pay more on top of that special event ticket price. If this were an event by itself then yes I can see it.

JohnD

I agree with you 100%. Its a cash Grab. This is an extra ticketed event and they want you to pay more on top of that special event ticket price. If this were an event by itself then yes I can see it.

Agree. I'm willingly paying for several behind the scenes tours and F&W events but these aren't inside another separately ticketed event. I'm also attending the MNSSHP but not shelling out extra $$ for the "dessert soire".

dkp

I'm not planning on paying for Villains' Sinister Soiree, although I admit if the Soiree were $99 and included MNSSHP admission I'd be tempted. But as it stands, I can't quite wrap my head around a premium experience within a hard-ticket event and one that costs more than the event itself. An emotional response, perhaps. But, yes, I do think of the Soiree as a cash grab.

Also, the pattern of adding such premium experiences, and the rate at which they are being added, is troubling. As has been pointed out upthread, Disney offered Star Wars Weekends and "Frozen" Summer Fun premium packages. And Harambe Nights, Epcot After Hours, and the Epcot Food & Wine Festival options. Plus, there's been a succession of race challenges (do two races in the same weekend, get a third medal) added fairly quickly to the runDisney series.

True, these aren't all the same kind of premium packages. But looking at what's being offered with these experiences, and looking at them together as indicative of the direction Disney is heading (and has been heading for a while)... Very troubling.

JohnD

No. Although, if you arrive by 4 pm, you could schedule 3 FP+s between 4 and 7 before the park officially closes.

Keep in mind, you may get times likes 3:30-4:30, 4:45-5:45, and 5:55-6:55. For purposes of FP+, Disney treats your MNSSHP ticket as regular admission. The limitation, of course, is that you're not admitted until 4:00 p.m. at the earliest. I have a FP+ for SM which is 3:30-4:30, so I need to make a beeline for SM when admitted at 4pm.

Animaniac93-98

Note on the preferred viewing location:

"The preferred viewing location for Mickey’s “Boo-to-You” Halloween Parade and the HalloWishes Fireworks Spectacular is in the same place, which is right in front of Cinderella Castle right behind the Partners Statue (Walt Disney and Mickey holding hands)."

Sounds good for the parade and castle show, but too close for fireworks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom