News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

But he as every reason to independently reassess projects not yet announced
He does. As others mentioned, DAK is next for capital $$$$, and it would make more sense for capacity purposes to expand/overhaul Dinoland. But on the other hand we have seen Igers ego get the better end of the deal in a lot of the company’s decisions. Avatar 2 (and the franchise) will be part of his legacy and could be why he may push towards a Pandora expansion instead.

Realistically, and for synergy purposes, I could see a new FoP film based on the Way of Water. This will reinvigorate interest in the relatively new expansion of Pandora. The cost for this is minimal.

Expand/Overhaul Dinoland improves the parks capacity, and it will bring new life to a sparse area of the park. And to go back to synergy, inserting Zootopia/Moana into DAK will keep the park “more timeless, more relevant, more Disney”.

To think that Iger who has approved or play a part in all of the “shoehorning” of the past 10+ years will stop the money machine of Moana & Zooptopia from coming to DAK because it “doesn’t fit”, is laughable.

celluloid

Realistically, and for synergy purposes, I could see a new FoP film based on the Way of Water. This will reinvigorate interest in the relatively new expansion of Pandora. The cost for this is minimal.
That ride film is pretty expensive because of Lightstorm and what it takes for that scale. I actually am of the opinion they are going to likely be fine with just bragging that they had animals from Way of Water in the ride film the entire time.

The Avatar sequels were to reactivate what was already there and ride on the films for the next five years, more than add new attractions within the land.

ToTBellHop

He does. As others mentioned, DAK is next for capital $$$$, and it would make more sense for capacity purposes to expand/overhaul Dinoland. But on the other hand we have seen Igers ego get the better end of the deal in a lot of the company’s decisions. Avatar 2 (and the franchise) will be part of his legacy and could be why he may push towards a Pandora expansion instead.

Expand/Overhaul Dinoland improves the parks capacity, and it will bring new life to a sparse area of the park. And to go back to synergy, inserting Zootopia/Moana into DAK will keep the park “more timeless, more relevant, more Disney”.

To think that Iger who has approved or play a part in all of the “shoehorning” of the past 10+ years will stop the money machine of Moana & Zooptopia from coming to DAK because it “doesn’t fit”, is laughable.
FWIW, in pretty recent history, WDI was challenged to develop a new, large-scale project to present to the big wigs. Time was apparently of the essence. I’ve been unable to uncover more. Very tight-lipped.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
I have always said WDW needs more out of place Princess Flume themed rides in the place. Disney is so dang creative these days.
Stop that.

Anyway, I'll have to agree with @EPCOT-O.G.'s comment on Iger’s reassessing. He can be able to reconsider projects like the DinoLand overhaul, especially if it ends up not happening.

celluloid

Stop that.

Anyway, I'll have to agree with @EPCOT-O.G.'s comment on Iger’s reassessing. He can be able to reconsider projects like the DinoLand overhaul, especially if it ends up not happening.

Why stop that? It is true. If this somehow happens, their best plan known the biggest additions to the FL theme parks is we have two princess flume rides based on princesses that had movies within eight years of each other. It is not exactly a unique line up in the pipes.

MagicHappens1971

FWIW, in pretty recent history, WDI was challenged to develop a new, large-scale project to present to the big wigs. Time was apparently of the essence. I’ve been unable to uncover more. Very tight-lipped.
I did see someone else make a similar claim on another thread a week or two ago. Interesting if true. They need something to combat Epic Universe.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Why stop that? It is true. If this somehow happens, their best plan known the biggest additions to the FL theme parks is we have two princess flume rides based on princesses that had movies within eight years of each other. It is not exactly a unique line up in the pipes.
The out of place talk is the problem. You make it as if Disney doesn’t care about making their rides blend in with their respective locations. It’s unimaginative of them.

celluloid

The out of place talk is the problem. You make it as if Disney doesn’t care about making their rides blend in with their respective locations. It’s unimaginative of them.

I think it is fair to say that not having a variety of attractions, based on a limited type of property from their huge pop culture and in house potential library, with similar ride systems opening back to back in a park that you could not tell where it should be on paper, is unimaginative from the company that is supposed to be the best at themed entertainment.

MagicHappens1971

What they put out in the Blue Sky concepts was rather similar to Epic Universe’s attractions and lands. It was like they were copying Universal.
What part of any of the blue sky concepts were like EUs?

Moana had a spinner, a Flume ride, and another flat ride?

Zootopia had no insights, just the rumor of a retheme of Dinosaur.

Coco/Encanto also had no insights, just the rumor of a Coco - FOP style ride.

Not trying to attack you, Disney doesn’t want to or need to copy Universal.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Maybe I'm cynical, but I feel like the chance of AK adding a significant attraction to Pandora is directly proportional to the chance of them adding a new Pandora land to Paris or Tokyo or Shanghai. Recently, I feel like Disney is unwilling to invest in major new attractions for the U.S. parks unless they can share the development costs and clone the ride elsewhere (Galaxy's Edge, Runaway Railway, Spiderman, Tiana, Mine Train, Frozen Ever After). Maybe cloning the attraction wasn't planned when originally built (like FEA), but the strong possibility needs to be there. If one of the foreign Disney parks were to add Pandora with a FOP clone, than the possibility for them to include a second ride (that could be cloned in Orlando) either as an opening day attraction or as a phase 2 attraction would increase the likelihood of the ride being developed in the first place. And given the mediocre response to NRJ, it would make sense to potentially not clone it in future iterations of Pandora (making the need for a second attraction for any new Pandora lands that much more necessary). I feel with the success of WoW, adding more Pandora lands makes sense, but unless another park commits to a Pandora of their own, I just don't see them developing a unique third attraction for Orlando that can't be easily cloned elsewhere (unless it's just a walk through attraction). Hopefully I'm wrong...

celluloid

Maybe I'm cynical, but I feel like the chance of AK adding a significant attraction to Pandora is directly proportional to the chance of them adding a new Pandora land to Paris or Tokyo or Shanghai. Recently, I feel like Disney is unwilling to invest in major new attractions for the U.S. parks unless they can share the development costs and clone the ride elsewhere (Galaxy's Edge, Runaway Railway, Spiderman, Tiana, Mine Train, Frozen Ever After). Maybe cloning the attraction wasn't planned when originally built (like FEA), but the strong possibility needs to be there. If one of the foreign Disney parks were to add Pandora with a FOP clone, than the possibility for them to include a second ride (that could be cloned in Orlando) either as an opening day attraction or as a phase 2 attraction would increase the likelihood of the ride being developed in the first place. And given the mediocre response to NRJ, it would make sense to potentially not clone it in future iterations of Pandora (making the need for a second attraction for any new Pandora lands that much more necessary). I feel with the success of WoW, adding more Pandora lands makes sense, but unless another park commits to a Pandora of their own, I just don't see them developing a unique third attraction for Orlando that can't be easily cloned elsewhere (unless it's just a walk through attraction). Hopefully I'm wrong...

I think this is just good inference skills on what we know of how Disney has ran their parks in the last decade. They made choices on what they knew would have synergy coming out, to know there was long appeal, they have rarely added anything in addition to once it was a success.

They did not sign with Lightstorm and Fox (and later bought Fox) to build a theme park land based on one hit movie, they knew if they had that partnership(and later owned it) they could milk it by keeping that one major investment relevant past its new factor.

Timothy_Q

In a perfect world for me:

Moana at Adventureland (fire mountain pad)
Zootopia at DHS (next to TSL, replacing animation building and backstage areas)

And then a South America land at DAK with an animal-focused mystic manor style Encanto ride
Not a true fit for DAK, but i'd prefer it over zootopia if these movies are going in the parks one way or another

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom